Traits that affect crops

AMajesticPotato

I can think if a good reason against it- even proven by the people defending it. As said by the post on the last page (hard to quote, using my phone) people with "a green thumb" are those more likely to care for their plants better.

Instead of having an arbitrary trait, we could just make plants grow better… when they're taken care of better. That's like saying someone who works hard is better at something than someone who's lazy. They aren't better, they're just working harder, and if you want better crops take care I them better.

The only thing we need is farming as a profession or hobby, to show the knowledge of how to farm. Nothing else is necessary or sensible.

Conversely, you could say that someone who enjoys gardening gains more of a psychological benefit from it as opposed to it being useful to help plants grow more readily. Helps get rid of boredom, depression and sadness.

Though I still think that green thumb trait should also help garden quality as well. Just my opinion.

Conversely, you could say that someone who enjoys gardening gains more of a psychological benefit from it as opposed to it being useful to help plants grow more readily. Helps get rid of boredom, depression and sadness.

That's actually a pretty decent idea, it would be nice for gardening to have some sort of psychological effect. On the opposite hand you should get anger, maybe depression if your plants aren't growing correctly or are rotten etc.

That's actually a pretty decent idea, it would be nice for gardening to have some sort of psychological effect. On the opposite hand you should get anger, maybe depression if your plants aren't growing correctly or are rotten etc.

So its not really a positive trait then.  More of a manic-depressive state based on your plants?

Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Poison-Ivy_flash_vi

So this, minus the super powers.

I would be okay with having a plant affinity where you get happier when farming (or maybe just when spending long periods of time outdoors in general), and more of a city-folk kinda talent where you get negative effects from being outdoors/positive from indoors.

I know for me personally I'm never as calm or happy as when I'm outdoors with no human influences within miles.

So its not really a positive trait then.  More of a manic-depressive state based on your plants?

Batman-Arkham-Asylum-Poison-Ivy_flash_vi

So this, minus the super powers.

I wrote a reply but it apparently never posted.

I didn't mean like manic depression or joy highs, I just mean you know, makes you a little bit more sad or a bit angry just because it doesn't seem to be going your way.

I can think if a good reason against it- even proven by the people defending it. As said by the post on the last page (hard to quote, using my phone) people with "a green thumb" are those more likely to care for their plants better.

Instead of having an arbitrary trait, we could just make plants grow better… when they're taken care of better. That's like saying someone who works hard is better at something than someone who's lazy. They aren't better, they're just working harder, and if you want better crops take care I them better.

The only thing we need is farming as a profession or hobby, to show the knowledge of how to farm. Nothing else is necessary or sensible.

1385222333954.jpeg

Some people just like plants. A person that actually enjoys tending to plants as opposed to someone who is just doing it for the food would generally be more receptive to the needs of the plants. Pay better attention, care for them better, et cetera. If you enjoy something, you'll tend to be better at it by virtue of it not boring the crap out of you so you pay attention to it better.

So a person with the Green Thumb trait would be someone who just really likes plants, and is better at it by virtue of the fact that farming just falls within their general domain of interest. I don't know why people are opposed to the idea. It makes perfect sense.

This. 

Green Thumb and Black Thumb aren't genetic, but neither are some of the other traits on the list. Some are learned. It's not a stretch to have traits that play on something a person may have been raised with an affinity for, or maybe enjoyed as a hobby. Therefor "Green Thumb" is easily justified. As for "Black Thumb" it's not a stretch either to have negative traits playing on the fact that sometimes a person is innately bad at grasping a certain concept, or a lack of personal interest hinders the learning process. These are very real things. Fishing would be a good example to me. I hate fishing and an apocalypse won't change the fact that I hate fishing. I would seek any other means of survival as far as scavenging and hunting before I attempted it. I would find those moments of learning excrutiating, I'd have more fun failing on a hunt than succeeding in fishing. So when that system gets in, if there is a trait negatively affecting fishing, I'll take it every time lol

But once you're just saying it's down to experience, you might as well just put a farmer profession/hobby in, because that's what you're saying. The devs have mentioned something about splitting it to profession/hobby/trait, which would tie in nicely. This would be one of the first two, not a trait.