Can Someone Explain Pain to Me?

RegularX

Don't overlook carrying heavy equipment, carrying out manual work, or spending 12 hours in game hiking around a town hopping fences and trying to pop windows. I've spent the past 5 hours sorting out furniture and moving stuff for my fiance's mum today. I'm sure I'll have a pain moodle hovering somewhere over my head for the next couple of days....

Also curious on this! Today I started a new game and went exploring around. I encountered no zombies, did not fall or anything, but when I got back to my safehouse I was in pain. I had no idea why? Also - do painkillers and other pills even work? 

Did it rain? ;)

Pills do work (sleeping pills at least) but just like in real life they take some time to take effect.

So I'm thinking Rain is very possibly the bug/culprit.  New game, have barely left the house so far - no fights, no falls, no long walks, no illness, etc.  Walked outside into the rain, walked back in - Pain moodlet pops up.

The googles, they do nothing.

So I'm thinking Rain is very possibly the bug/culprit.  New game, have barely left the house so far - no fights, no falls, no long walks, no illness, etc.  Walked outside into the rain, walked back in - Pain moodlet pops up.

The googles, they do nothing.

Towels. Need more towels. Lots more towels.

post-737-0-61609400-1375728897_thumb.png

So this is kinda what I mean.  I'm sick.  I'm in agony.  I apparently need first aid, and I'm freaking out.  I have no scratches or bites.  Even though I need first aid, there's nothing to bandage.  It seem to start when I was out in the rain for a moment - but I never even got a wet moodle.  One day of survival, haven't gone very far (so no long runs or anything).

Is this a "toxic rain" bug, or is there something else I'm not thinking about here?

Update: As before, healthy eating and about two naps seems to go from "Fever" and "Agony" to "OK".

Characters just get sick randomly sometimes. Being wet increases the odds of it happening, but it'll still happen every so often. And last time I had the flu I was in so much pain I thought my whole body had twisted into one big charlie horse.

Pain is an unpleasant feeling that is conveyed to the brain by sensory neurons. The discomfort signals actual or potential injury to the body. However, pain is more than a sensation, or the physical awareness of pain; it also includes perception, the subjective interpretation of the discomfort. Perception gives information on the pain's location, intensity, and something about its nature. The various conscious and unconscious responses to both sensation and perception, including the emotional response, add further definition to the overall concept of pain.

Though I wonder why you ask such things on this forum :???:

This is sarcasm

Characters just get sick randomly sometimes. Being wet increases the odds of it happening, but it'll still happen every so often. And last time I had the flu I was in so much pain I thought my whole body had twisted into one big charlie horse.

Yeah, but I never even got wet. I was in the rain, but never even a wet moodle. I just ... got pain.  And then injured.  Which also seems kinda backwards.  So I'm just wondering if this is a rain related bug or if anyone can think of anything else.

Pain is an unpleasant feeling that is conveyed to the brain by sensory neurons. The discomfort signals actual or potential injury to the body. However, pain is more than a sensation, or the physical awareness of pain; it also includes perception, the subjective interpretation of the discomfort. Perception gives information on the pain's location, intensity, and something about its nature. The various conscious and unconscious responses to both sensation and perception, including the emotional response, add further definition to the overall concept of pain.

Though I wonder why you ask such things on this forum :???:

This is sarcasm

Because I assume they'll read the OP ;)

So, not trying to bump here - but seriously, I'm confused.  I just lost someone after 9 days - and I don't know why.  I was hungry, not starving.  I was nauseous, not feverish.  I was thirsty, not parched.  I had no physical injuries.  I had never been bitten or scratched.  Just like before, though - I got pain - pain grew, I got injuries - then I got started feeling sick, etc.  Then I died.

In other words - I seem to die from the symptoms, not the disease.  If the Moodles are supposed to warn me that something is wrong and I should fix it - they're not working.  Because I seem to get a pain from some unknown cause ... and then (possibly) die from it. 

I could have made it much longer than 9 days if I simply had never left my house, I think - because when I stay in one place and eat and sleep this doesn't seem to happen.  I left my house, but I didn't starve to death, die of thirst, die from zombie attack, or even die from illness (that I can tell).  I just kinda died.  And I don't know if this is a bug (rain??) or somehow by design.

did you take Hypochondriac as a Trait? or prone to illness?

This last run I think I had Hypochondriac.  Can you die from Hypochondriac even if you've never been injured or sick?  The wiki describes it as "The player may get the queasy moodle and any subsequent moodles without having been bitten or scratched." I didn't get quesy first, just pain - then quesy later.  Never got Fever or any other life threatening moodles, except for critical injuries.

yes you can die from it and will get sick for no reason. Try a play though with out Hypochondriac to see if that is the issue. It could be bugged. if it works let me know i can post a bug report or if you want you can.

Cool, will do.  I'll keep poking to see if I can better determine the root cause - and will move things over to the bug report forum as I grok more.

yes you can die from it and will get sick for no reason. Try a play though with out Hypochondriac to see if that is the issue. It could be bugged. if it works let me know i can post a bug report or if you want you can.

Should the hypochondriac trait REALLY kill your character or even make him sick without some kind of trigger beforehand, though? I don't really think that's realistic... Maybe PERCEIVING sickness, but it shouldn't actually affect you like a real sickness would. 

Hypochondriasis: "Common symptoms include headaches; abdominal, back, joint, rectal, or urinary pain; nausea; fever and/or night sweats; itching; diarrhea; dizziness; or balance problems." according to that you should be in pain. You can die to a few of those symptoms (especially if combined with bad nutrition etc.) but I think it would and should be very unlikely.

Yeah, I mean by definition a hypochondriac is not actually ill.  Dying from not actually being sick would certainly be an outlier.  But it might put one in a spot where you're more like to get actually sick, I guess, or certainly moodles which would lower alertness, healing, etc.

A quick note though on the whole "when your sick you are in pain, etc." though: whenever this has happened, the first moodle to appear is Pain.  Either a) some unknown bug is causing pain and subsequent conditions (including death) or b) a legitimate scenario is occurring to cause pain.  But if B is true, so the PC is sick and therefore in pain - the quesy or sick moodle should certainly occur first.  If it is from a scratch or fall, the injury moodle should occur first.  That way the player knows the scenario that is putting them at risk and can do something about it.