Rail Yard

American Steel

Here is a pic of the Rail Yard base after the initial fortification.

Outside

a4ELudh.png

Downstairs

z56iKy6.png

I actually ran down to the entrance to the SW and started harvesting lumber, four logs at a time.  Ug.  I have barricided all the outside windows and every inside door (on the lower level), except the door to the room with the fridge (thank goodness power is still on).  When the power finally does fail, I will finish by sealing up the lower level completely.  I tried to build a walkway out over the fence, but the 2nd level floor bug got me immediately.  I was praying since I did not use any stairs, it would let me slip by.  I built the floor section and immediately fell through, crashing my health and the game.

I did decide to take a sledge hammer out into the wild and see if the concrete/metal fence could be destroyed.  If you want to know...

Zs50A4n.png

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outside

a4ELudh.png

Downstairs

z56iKy6.png

I actually ran down to the entrance to the SW and started harvesting lumber, four logs at a time.  Ug.  I have barricided all the outside windows and every inside door (on the lower level), except the door to the room with the fridge (thank goodness power is still on).  When the power finally does fail, I will finish by sealing up the lower level completely.  I tried to build a walkway out over the fence, but the 2nd level floor bug got me immediately.  I was praying since I did not use any stairs, it would let me slip by.  I built the floor section and immediately fell through, crashing my health and the game.

I did decide to take a sledge hammer out into the wild and see if the concrete/metal fence could be destroyed.  If you want to know...

Zs50A4n.png

Hmm... interesting stuff. :D

Do you think you will expand further out into the rail yard?

Outside

a4ELudh.png

Downstairs

z56iKy6.png

Zs50A4n.png

Hmm... interesting stuff. :D

Do you think you will expand further out into the rail yard?

Zed's did spawn while I was making trips to the woodline to the SW.  After the third or fouth trip (clearing them out each time), they quit spawning.  A few would just wander into the area every now and again (I guess they are filling the Zed vacuum).  I delved out into the rail yard a bit more to thin their numbers.  With the amount of lumber nearby and 20 boxes of nails, I could build one LARGE fort.  As it stands now, I am going to fortify the building I am in, waiting for the building bug to be resolved.  One could easily cordon off a section on the far side of the reinforced metal fence as a large farm, and keep the base pretty secure.  I am also going to build some independent fortifications out in the yard, well away from my base.  This should draw some of the roaming Zeds to fixed locations away from my fort, so I can thin their numbers while keeping by base of operations obscure.

If they ever get the 2nd story bug fixed, I could see fortifying a train bunker as a interesting diversion.  This would make an obscenly secure site if/when NPCs are introduced.  After securing one bunker, move onto the next.  When all four are secure, just cordon off the intervening space.  As long as the player stocks in enough water and keeps the crop rotation going it should run smoothly.  If Zeds ever do come in mass, just man the walls and pray you can thin them out before they break through.  If they do break through, fall back to the bunkers.

My Rail Yard experiment has come to an end with a hopelessly corrupted file.  I even went back to prior saves and it was still corrupted.  The game would load with me on the first floor roof of the two story building, every time.  At one point I had a short fence around the 1st floor roof, the lower section barricade, with lower level doors barricaded and additional walls in place.  I then sectioned off "L" shaped area behind the building and barricaded that fencing.  I fenced off the entire area in front of the build and then 2 sections of fence in the area just the other side of the chain fence.  I counted out over 100 plots of land, with a single space between each plot.  I laid in 4 large rain barrels at this location.  With the sheer amount of raw materials and 20 boxes of nails (I only used 9 boxes), the place could be one serious compound.

This does not include the decked out farm/fort, two more safe houses and two more bolt holes.  A VERY disappointing loss :(

I can tell you the event that caused the corruption too.  A screen shot which locked the game (the last one I posted actually).

The whole "problem" with the rail yard is the complete lack of food and water.  Its remote location is strength and weakness.  The existing fencing and dense woods around the facillty really reduce the wandering Zed population.  Once I cleared out an area, the Zeds were just gone.  I roamed around for a day with planes flying overhead and machinegun fire, nothing.  The Zeds ouside the fence would just run into the woodline and vanish.  I even went to far as to get near the woodline and empty a shotgun to see what I could summon.  The three times I tried this, at various locations, I got the attention of two long enough to come out and get their heads caved in.

I was originally quite disgusted after the crash.  More than an a little miffed ;)  This is an alpha though and I knew this kind of stuff was bound to happen.  Seeing the response from a few here puts a bit of a go back in my tank.  I will attempt another run at the Rail Yard with my next character. 

Jeb Thomas was killed by a corrupted file.  I have continued with a new character and a whole new Sandbox.  Redd Crocker is also a Park Ranger with similar traits to Jeb.  I have the game world set to 12 hours = 1 day.  I have discontinued the Zed memory of Open Doors (as it does not work), and replaced it with Bloodhound Smell and Eagle Sight.   I have also eliminated the chance for Redd getting infected, so this is a more Left 4 Dead version of the Zombie Plaque.  With 3 of the last 4 characters being lost to file corruption, I believe it is AS deadly as the Day Z every was.  Purist may mock the settings, but the computer bytes of late seem to hold more doom for my characters that Zeds have ever held.

Journal Entry, Day 1.

The world has come to an end and here I am.  Guess my ex-wife was right, I am a no good son of a bitch... who no more derves heaven than those folks living in Sodom.  The Rapture of her new husband took her away to New York City three years ago.  I wonder is she got swept away, because Lord knows all the people I have seen today didn't get taken up o Heaven in the blink of an eye.  World gone and went to Hell, and we plum didn't take notice.

Jeb and I have talked to a fair amount of folk, few of them prepper types and ex-military thinking the world was comin to an end.  Jeb and I agreed the Rail Yard would be the best place to hole up.  What with all them cars hauling good to and from Louisville, there are bound to be a fair ton of supplies.  If we could get a rail car or three in front of one of those shed, you could not cut through it with a Maa Duce.  While people are lootin the town, we could be fortifying the Yard.  Get our friends and kin folk down there, seal it up nice and proper like.  Send a few stoud lads out to scavange for supplies, set up row crops and hell, maybe even get a still runnin'.

I am including a map of the south western part of town.  Should have stayed in my own place last night, would have been ready.  Instead I woke up at Jess' place after tying one on last night.  Here is the end of the world, and I dont even have a shirt?!  I left out of her place with nothing but my wits and a mind to make it down to the Police Station.  Mebe a few of the deputies got some sense, and barricade themselves up nice and tight.  I slipped into a few houses and found something to start with: a store bag full of canned food, some chips and a few bottles of water.  I also latched onto a frying pan and put a kitchen knife down in my boot.  Before I could make it over to the church I had put an end to about a dozen of them Things.  I knew one or two of them from parties at Jess's, but they did not know me from Adam's House Cat.  All hands and teeth, trying to take a piece out of me.  I got into the church, found a pistol and a box of hollow points from the Preachers Desk.  Give unto Ceaser what is Caeser's huh?  I a baseball bat in a kids room, but I had to put down what was left of his parents to do it.

I made it to the last house when then damned alarm when off.  I had to make a break for it.  Them Zombies were coming from everywhere, moaning and screaming.  I had to change to the pistol and lane training really paid off.  Some of them actually had they claws on me when I pulled the trigger and vacated their skulls.  I managed to run past the police station and see it has been overrun.  Windows broken and a few of them Things were wearing police uniforms.  Maybe Jess was holed up in the bar.  I hot footed it around past the eats and Gas 2 Go.  I lost most of them and switched to the frying pan.  Dispatched another ten or so before I waltzed in the front door.  Empty.  I went upstairs and ran into Jess, but she got ugly real fast upon seeing me.  It was either her or me, and for damn sure not losing this spat.  All about her needs?  Pfft!  I put her down like a wild dog.  Her bosses place had some rooms for rent upstairs.  Only one door in and a few windows.  Unless them Things learn to carry torches, I could lock this place up tight.

I caught my breath, dumped my supplies and head back out.  No rest for the wicked.  I ran up to the warehouses I seen up the street.  Found all sorts of garden supplies, some hammers and nails, barbed wire, a real haul.  I was hoping for an axe or a sledge hammer, but nothing doin.  I snuck around through the trailer park, picked up some canned food, pilfered the fridges and killed about 20 more of them Zombies.  Switched out for some of the better bags I found and went off looking for food.

Dropped this load off and decided I really needed to hit them diners and the gas station.  So that is what I did.  Lots of good cooking supplies made a lot of racket, but I need to start thinking about more than food.  Water is not going to last forever and laying in water has to be important too.  Maybe convert a few trash cans to rain barrels or something.  The Gas Station was a complete waste of time, nothing but girlie magazines, newspapers and words meant for people in suits.  None of that means squat now.

I made it back to my new place and fortified as best I could.  Sealed up a few windows right, barred the door and laid in some sheet ropes to climb in.  I have 2 pistols, about 6 boxes of shells (pistol and shotgun), 2 crowbars, a bat and some kitchen wares if it comes down to it.  I dont have all that much dry goods, but i filled a fridge up about half way.  Laid in about 50 gallons of water and filled up all the sinks.

Near as I can reckon, I put down 173 Zombies today.  No telling what tomorrow might bring.  I can hear them hollerin in the wind every now and again, but I made sure to pour bleach around the porch and soaked the sheets covering the windows.  If it can throw off a coon, it damn sure can toss one of them off my trail.  Well... I really should have picked up a few of them glossy, girlie magazines...

CWYusEZ.jpg

Journal Entry, Day 2.

Woke up early this morning, Summer thunderstorm got them Zombies a moving.  I looked out the window and see them roaming around in the distance between the flashed of lightenin.  As the storm passes over and the thunder carries on further away, the Zombies head off in that direction like farm boys being called for supper.  I look out over toward the police station but it is to dark to see, though I don't hear any of them Zom-boys.  Mebe the police station would be a good place to go, if they have left chasing after the thunder.

Bored to tears waiting for the dawn.  Decided to organize some supplies and get a real feel for what I got.  I have two boxes of shotgun shells but no gun to load em with.  After that long three block foot race yesterday, a scattergun sure would be nice.  The police station it is.

(Blood smear on page)

Dammit.  Got myself bit on the arm while looting the police station.  There were more of them Zomboys left hanging around than I was ready fer.  Snuck around the back door and pryed it open with a crowbar easy.  Made a lot of racket, but none of them close by came a lookin'.  They must take notice of things with sharp noises like breaking glass or gunshots, the pop of the lock did not set them off one bit.  The weapons locker was empty, but I did find another few boxes of shells and rounds.  So not a complete loss there.  Found some dead sob in the jail with a bullet to his skull and Chuck slumped against the wall, his head all bloodied from what looked like a billy club.  I took a fancy to his pistol rig and tried to get it off of him.  He looked up and bit me on the arm while trying to get it! I pulled that kitchen knife out from my boot and slammed it into his skull.  After twisting a few time he let me go.  Blood hit the floor and them outside started making all sorts of racket.  Looks like they can smell better than they can hear.  I pulled off my shirt and wrapped it around my arm, tying my belt around it for good measure.  I tried to run out the way I came in, but they were already there.  I ended up in the interrogation room, greeted by two dead cops on the foor and poor sod cuffed to the desk.  All had bullet holes in the back of their heads.  Police protection, nice!  I kicked out the window and ran like hell, bleedin all over.  Knew they would find me if I just run back to the bar.

Headed to the diner and locked myself in the kitchen.  Gave me some time to attend to my arm and this deep scratch down my leg.  The scratch aint too bad but the bite is serious.  I bandaged everyting up and looked about fer, somethin.  Found some meat patties in the freezer and tossed them into the ovens, poured some cooking oil into a pan on the stove and turned all the burners on full.  I took the bloody rags from my arm and pressed them to the bottom of the door and waited.  Sure enough, them dead fellers started piling up outside the door wanting today's special.  I opened a bottle of white vinagar and doused myself good, maybe they wont like the smell of old feet.  I then made ready to go out the other door and tossed a pair of wiskey bottles on the stove.  The door caved in about the time the fire went roarin.  I ran out the other door and did not look back until I was on the far side of the Gas 2 Go.  None of them were a followin.  I scooted back to the bar and did not see a dead soul.  The eats is fully engulfed, I hope it don't spread to the Gas 2 Go.  If them fuel tanks catch the fire might spread over this way.

It is just after 9 AM and the bleedin finally stopped.  Cleaned up the scratch on my leg without a problem.  My left arm is another story.  Chuck did not take a plug out of me, but is was not for a lack of tryin.  I have a poultice of tea bags and chewed up cigarette tobacco packed onto my arm.  If it don't draw out whatever is in them, I don't guess I will be writing much more in this here book.  I took a handful of pain pills I found earlier and feel better.  If I don't do something soon I might not be doin anything later, so I best get to doin.  Nearest place I reckon that will have medical supplies is Doc Courtman's place.   Maybe they wont notice me, smelling of old feet heading that way.

I probably wouldn't hold up in the train yard, it's just way to big and not worth the trouble, maybe select areas when they bring in vehicles but right now it's to far from anything to be useful.

That is actually is biggest strength.  The Rail Yard is not some place you run to right off.  It is like living at McCoy Lumber, but worse; lots of supplies and no food to speak of.  The Rail Yard is more an "end game" destination.  You have to lay in supplies and then make the trek.  Do you sever all ties or leave places stocked just in case (I vote the later).  The two story building is a dream space to step up.  The four train bunkers are also great places to fortify, especially when they get the 2nd story bug fixed.  At the very least they should be sealed off as additional places to run to.  The wide open spaces make it easy to spot Zed and once the area is cleared out, they dont come back.  While there are a few entrances into the Yard, most can be closed off easily.  It would then be just the matter of doing a permeter sweep daily, maintaining your crops and trying to not die of boredom.

I have actually cleared out ALL of West Point south of the High School with a prior character (file corruption killed him too).  At first the game is about surviving the now.  Then it becomes fortifying and laying in supplies, not only for the impending winter but also for possible Zed incursions.  Then it becomes making additional foritfications just in case you main base falls.  It then all comes down to a legacy.  Some people look to a challage like Get of my Lawn, never staying in the same house twice, seeing how many Zeds they can kill with their bare hands or not killing a Zed at all.  For me, I think of the pharohs of old and wonder what building project I can undertake that will be a "Whooah!" moment for the game.  Bolt holes and safe houses do not incur wow moments.  Farms, meh.  Forifications, can be cool.  I look to when NPCs can be added and I can have a "Woodbury" of my own to rule from on high :)

I probably wouldn't hold up in the train yard, it's just way to big and not worth the trouble, maybe select areas when they bring in vehicles but right now it's to far from anything to be useful.

That is actually is biggest strength.  The Rail Yard is not some place you run to right off.  It is like living at McCoy Lumber, but worse; lots of supplies and no food to speak of.  The Rail Yard is more an "end game" destination.  You have to lay in supplies and then make the trek.  Do you sever all ties or leave places stocked just in case (I vote the later).  The two story building is a dream space to step up.  The four train bunkers are also great places to fortify, especially when they get the 2nd story bug fixed.  At the very least they should be sealed off as additional places to run to.  The wide open spaces make it easy to spot Zed and once the area is cleared out, they dont come back.  While there are a few entrances into the Yard, most can be closed off easily.  It would then be just the matter of doing a permeter sweep daily, maintaining your crops and trying to not die of boredom.

I have actually cleared out ALL of West Point south of the High School with a prior character (file corruption killed him too).  At first the game is about surviving the now.  Then it becomes fortifying and laying in supplies, not only for the impending winter but also for possible Zed incursions.  Then it becomes making additional foritfications just in case you main base falls.  It then all comes down to a legacy.  Some people look to a challage like Get of my Lawn, never staying in the same house twice, seeing how many Zeds they can kill with their bare hands or not killing a Zed at all.  For me, I think of the pharohs of old and wonder what building project I can undertake that will be a "Whooah!" moment for the game.  Bolt holes and safe houses do not incur wow moments.  Farms, meh.  Forifications, can be cool.  I look to when NPCs can be added and I can have a "Woodbury" of my own to rule from on high :)

I agree with you in what the "end game" is all about. but until they turn on NPC's again it just turns boring very quickly...

And if they ever do a multiplayer then the rail yard is perfect!

I agree with you in what the "end game" is all about. but until they turn on NPC's again it just turns boring very quickly...

And if they ever do a multiplayer then the rail yard is perfect!

Nearly forgot about Multiplayer, imagine that. It would be so much easier to set up with 2, 3, or more people hauling loot. I might actually go make an attempt at securing the train yard myself...welp, looks like I know what I'm gonna play for the next 5 hours!

Slight update to my old post, my first attempt didn't even last 3 days...here's a quick recap

Attempt 1:
Spawned in a 2 story house, found a hiking bag, frying pan, and ample food. Searched the next 2 houses, no zombies anywhere. Was kinda strange. Found about 20 or so sheets, but not much interesting. Fell asleep.
Day 2: Woke up, ate potato salad, walked north. Found an old church, nothing interesting inside. Walked further north, found a massive horde and a warehouse. I started picking them off one by one, until suddenly I heard a gunshot behind me. 75 zombie bites later, I died. WONDERFUL.

I'm well into my 2nd attempt. Smooth sailing so far. I might set up a livestream sometime if anyone is interested, but I doubt it.  Currently I have 33 pistol bullets+pistol, tons of cooked food, no main base, and my character is apparently depressed because watermelons. Continuing on...

Slight update to my old post, my first attempt didn't even last 3 days...here's a quick recap

Attempt 1:
Spawned in a 2 story house, found a hiking bag, frying pan, and ample food. Searched the next 2 houses, no zombies anywhere. Was kinda strange. Found about 20 or so sheets, but not much interesting. Fell asleep.
Day 2: Woke up, ate potato salad, walked north. Found an old church, nothing interesting inside. Walked further north, found a massive horde and a warehouse. I started picking them off one by one, until suddenly I heard a gunshot behind me. 75 zombie bites later, I died. WONDERFUL.

I'm well into my 2nd attempt. Smooth sailing so far. I might set up a livestream sometime if anyone is interested, but I doubt it.  Currently I have 33 pistol bullets+pistol, tons of cooked food, no main base, and my character is apparently depressed because watermelons. Continuing on...

• First thing you need to do is secure a starting home, at least some sheets on the windows.  Two story house is preferable but not necessary.
  • Start scavanging for supplies: a good weapon, a backup weapon, decent bags to carry loot, a few days worth of food, can opener, bottle of water
  • Really secure a base of operations and start laying in supplies there.  Barricade the doors and windows as soon as possible (if that means breaking down doors somewhere else and haul the planks, do it)
  • Once you have a solid base of operations with a stock pile of food, water and basic supplies start looking for all the materials you will need to set up a your end game base.  Seeds, trowl, water can, garden sprayer, spade, axe, sledge hammer, hammer, garbage bags and lots of nails.  Also loot for non-perishable food, containers to hold water and perishable food.
  • As you are looking for supplies, set up a few bolt holes (just a secure room on a 2nd floor or secure the 2nd floor entirely).  Dont fortify it completely, because all the extra stuff you put on the outside is going to draw attention.  Put sheets on the windows downstairs and leave it alone.  I like to have one of these every two blocks or so.

This will give you a solid base of operations to fall back on and multiple bolt holes to hide in if it hits the fan.  Even if you do secure the Rail Yard, dont stop prepairing.  Secure the rail bunkers, train garages, etc.  Once that is complete, head back out into the world and look for more supplies.  When it gets to the point that you feel secure enough, you can turn PZ into a Farming Sim. Until the Sadistic AI decides its NOT a farming sim ;)

• First thing you need to do is secure a starting home, at least some sheets on the windows.  Two story house is preferable but not necessary.
  • Start scavanging for supplies: a good weapon, a backup weapon, decent bags to carry loot, a few days worth of food, can opener, bottle of water
  • Really secure a base of operations and start laying in supplies there.  Barricade the doors and windows as soon as possible (if that means breaking down doors somewhere else and haul the planks, do it)
  • Once you have a solid base of operations with a stock pile of food, water and basic supplies start looking for all the materials you will need to set up a your end game base.  Seeds, trowl, water can, garden sprayer, spade, axe, sledge hammer, hammer, garbage bags and lots of nails.  Also loot for non-perishable food, containers to hold water and perishable food.
  • As you are looking for supplies, set up a few bolt holes (just a secure room on a 2nd floor or secure the 2nd floor entirely).  Dont fortify it completely, because all the extra stuff you put on the outside is going to draw attention.  Put sheets on the windows downstairs and leave it alone.  I like to have one of these every two blocks or so.

This will give you a solid base of operations to fall back on and multiple bolt holes to hide in if it hits the fan.  Even if you do secure the Rail Yard, dont stop prepairing.  Secure the rail bunkers, train garages, etc.  Once that is complete, head back out into the world and look for more supplies.  When it gets to the point that you feel secure enough, you can turn PZ into a Farming Sim. Until the Sadistic AI decides its NOT a farming sim ;)

What I listed there was slightly outdated. I'll update.

67 pistol bullets+pistol

big hiking bag

55 nails+nail box+saw

plenty of non-perishable food, can opener, and cooking Lv 1

I carry around a pot of water at all times. ofc I keep it in my hiking bag, so that it doesn't weigh me down.

and atm I've looted an entire neighborhood and used all the blunt weapons I could find to clear out a nearby warehouse, store, and shop. about 400 kills atm.

But yeah, I agree that I need a base. It's usually what gets me. I keep telling myself 1 more house, 1 more house. It's definitely a weakness :P since I cleared out a whole neighborhood, I'll use one of the houses as base. I believe I'm on about day 11. Gonna go take a break and go get some caffeine. Will update soon/tomorrow.

*EDIT*

Decided to throw in this pic of my work :D (couldn't figure out how to put in image)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=213798226

Day 2, Continued (Wall o Text)

I headed out with my large military rucksack on my pack, a hiking bag slung over my shoulder, two duffles squired away in the hiking bag and two bottle of bleach.  I headed up the street toward Doc Courtman’s but decided to scavenge along the way.  I checked out the two trailers South of the small trailer park I had cleared out yesterday.  I packed away the food I found and headed out once again.  I few Zomboys were shuffling around closer to the street and to notice the wind was out of the north.  I stayed low and crept up to the place, unnoticed by the dead fellers.  I was able to pilfer good out of the place without them ever catching a whiff of me.  Heading back to the dirt road I continued on up the street  I slipped into a little white single bedroom at the south end of the row and then into another one next door.  More canned goods, a few pots and knives fell into my bag.  I pressed my luck and tried the last brown and white house on the street but ran into trouble.  I pried open the window and managed to get inside, only to be startled by the security alarm blaring inside and out.  By the time I was able to make it back out the window, the far side of the house was being assaulted by the Zombies.  A few of them must of caught a glimpse of me as I left, because they started carrying on like a hound after a coon.  I ran back down the street into the next house, out a side window and then into the house by that one.   I could hear windows breaking in the house down the street as the Zomboys were tearing into the house looking for me.  Drawing the curtains I waited for what seemed like forever for the alarm to quit.   A few of them came outside the far side of the house, climbed over the fence and then into the house next door.  They must of got my scent?!  I cut open on of the bottles of bleach and started pouring it around the door I just came in, backed up into a far bedroom as I emptied the bottle and closed the door.  I then waited…

I looked at my watch and about 30 minutes had gone by.  One of them actually made it to the front door and then just stopped.  After about 20 minutes it turned and went back into the other house.  I opened the bedroom window and peeked out.  You could hear a few of them moaning next door.  Jumping out the window I kept low and ran into the trees.  I could see there must have been about a dozen of them around the house where the alarm had caught their attention.  I crawl-ran to the shed and peeked inside, then pressed on into the house.  The back door was open and something was inside.  I went in slowly to see one with its back to me.  I snuck up behind it and buried the hammer in the back of its skull.  It fell forward and hit the kitchen tile with a wet thump.  I filled my bag with more food, a handful of nails from a closet and a hacksaw.  I kept low and went into the next door neighbors house, another hammer and a few more nails were stuffed into my sack when I realized I could fill a duffle.  Taking a moment to move all the goods over, I set the stuffed sports equipment bag by the back door and went out the front door toward the last street between me and my goal.

I ran across the street and into what once was Steve Louis.  He use to work for the Corp of Engineers before hell got all full.  He just tilted his head and ran at me, not making a sound.  As he got close, I could tell something had taken off part of this thigh.  Like some wild boar had tore him all up but he was still able to ramble on.  He was almost on me when I saw the wedding band on his hand.  Everyone use to raise a glass to his Jenny down at the bar.  When her unit got activated she deployed to Iraq.  She is still over there…  I came out of my haze right as his blood caked fingers all but touched me, bone sticking out ragged bits of flesh.  I stepped to the side and kicked his leg out from under him.  I rode him down to the ground, my hammer falling.  I don’t know how many times I laid into Steve, but you could not tell he was Steve anymore.  I took the ring off his finger and put it in my pocket.  Not sure why.  Made me sad to think about it all comin to an end like this, Steve layin in the dirt and his head all mashed up by a friend.  I pulled the keys out of his pocket and ran to his house.

After unlocking the door and letting myself in  I could hear the beep of an alarm warming up.  I knew I did not have much time.  Steve use to brag about his Mossburg and he carried his Glock with him a lot when out doing work for the corp.  I started digging around in the kitchen and started laying in more food.  Fridge was bare so I headed upstairs when the alarm went off.  The alarm went off as I was heading up the stairs.  Aw, shit!  Decided to keep searching and found his Glock in the bedroom, along with half a box of bullets.  About that time I could hear the Zomboys pounding on the front door and windows.  I ran out and took a peek, about 8 of them around the foot of the house.  Another half dozen were walking down the street.  I made a sheet rope and attached it to his bedroom window.  I then opened the window on the far side of the house and put a few rounds into the brown two story next door.  Shattering a pair of window in the process.  After a minute or so musta been 30 of them outside, breaking into the house.  Funny thing, none of them looked up.  I waited until the windows gave in and I could hear them fumbling around downstairs.  I side down the rope and cut back behind the trees.  Running across the street, I forced a side window open and just about fell into the house.  Luckly no one was home.  I crawled to the front window and took a look.  I about pissed myself it scarred me so.  There were about fifty of them going nuts around Steve’s house and about a dozen more were around the house next to it.  I know there were at least a half dozen insides Steves place too, maybe more by now.  It was one lawn party I did not want to attend.

I looted the next three houses without a sound.  I did find one with broken widows, but the glass was broken outwards.  They commotion I started over at Steves’ must have drawn them out.  These houses were loaded with food but thin on building materials.  I filled up an OD Green duffle and set it by the back door.  The next house was for sale and looked empty, but it seems a realtor was showing the place when they got sick.  I found an older couple in the upstairs bedroom, the man was eaten up so it could only crawl.  I assume his wife was the one who laid into him before he turned.  The bathroom had a young couple and a lady in a gold jacket, “Ellen Mooney” on her name tag.  I opened the door and caught a woman behind it.  One fell before the others could even turn around, planting a hammer into the side of his skull.  I backed up and the others tried to rush me.  I managed to push the realtor down and then close the bathroom door.  As the realtor began to get up and I smalled my heavily laden bag across her, pinning her arms under the bag and my weight.  Ellen hissed a me and snapped, I turned the hammer around and drove the nail puller into the front of her skull.  The last one was having a fit, pounding and scratching at the solid bathroom door.  I gave the door a click and then kicked it open, driving the last one into the sink.  Before it could recover, it took a line drive to the side of its head.  Its neck broke and it flipped over to it side.  Even with the massive blow to the side of its head it began to stand.  I kicked it in the face and then laid into while it flailed about on the floor.  Four, maybe five strike later it quit moving.  I found some home improvement tools about the house, but they were just more of what I already had.  I stowed what I found in my bag and looked out toward Courtman’s.

There were a few standing in the back of the Circle Hey! parking lot, but Courtman’s was empty.  I took advantage of the clear sailing and ran across the street.  The front window was partially open, so I let myself in.  I went into the back room and found it well stocked: bandages, pills of all kinds, saliene, rubbing alcohol, gauss, the works.  I then went into the store room and hit the mother load.  The cabinet contained dozens of marked hypo bottles, a few of them stood out like morphine.  I cleaned out the place.  The waiting room was empty but there was a lot of dried blood on the door, across the floor and up the stairs.  I put my bags down and crept upstairs.  The Doc’s door was closed, but not locked.  I opened it slowly and saw what has left of his nurse in bloodied white lab jacket, her puppy covered scrubs obscured by dried gore.  I tried to sneak up behind her but a creaking board gave me away.  She let out a hiss and came towards me.  Jumping behind the easy chair, she climbed up it to try get at me.  The chair swiveled and kicked back, sending her to the ground.  I think I let out a laugh as I pounced on her, letting the hammer drive home more than nails.  I noticed the blood went toward the back bedroom and I could hear moaning inside.  I opened the door and saw Doc Courtman in the back of the room, his neck all but bitten off.  There was a backboard on the bed, with oxygen tanks and drip rack nearby.  His patient has standing nearby, face a mass of blood with the remains of an IV still in her arm.  Her ear and part of her cheek were also missing.  Another stood by her, his arm was missing more than one plug of flesh.  I pushed one into the other and caused both patients to fall.  Doc Courtman came at me but got tied up in the arms and legs of the other two trying to get at me.  On of their heads flashed by and I dropped my hammer into the pocket behind what was once her ear.  I pulled back and the hammer head stayed in her skull.  Son of a bitch!  I pulled out my boot knife and tried to bide my time, they both could not get at me through the narrow door frame and that was my advantage.  I slammed my knife up through the lower jaw and then pushed him back into Doc.  I lost my knife in his jaw somehow so I just ran over him, pushing Doc again.  He simply flopped back over onto the bed.  I picked up the oxygen tank and slammed the green bottle down onto him.  It took a few tried to land the blow right, with Doc all bouncing around on the bed.  Finally I was able to line his head up with the back board and send him on his way.  I stumbled out of the room, holding the bottle of oxygen and plum wore out.

I sat on the couch, huffing air from the tank and looking down at what was left of Docs nurse.  After I got my feet back under my I pilfered the kitchen and his wardrobe.  When I left I noticed the parking lot of the Circle Hey! was empty.  I took advantage of the opportunity on pried open the backdoor.  The discovery here was almost as good as Doc Courtmans’.  Candy bars, soda pop, chips, salsa, bean dip and lots of other food most of consider crap.  I stuffed all of this into my other bag, and a few glossy magazines.  I went out the front door and jogged over to Jess’ place.  I looked around a found some stuff I had overlooked before, along with what was left in the fridge.  I then picked up one of my other bags and worked my way back to the bar.

It is about 1:30 now and the smoke has died down over at the eats.  I have changed clothes and cleaned up.  Poured bleach over my old clothes and stuffed them in shopping bag.  Gonna drop those soiled clothes off in a house I have looted after picking up my other bag.  Maybe hit the other five houses on Steve’s block if the Zomboys have cleared out.  I took some antibiotics from the Doc’s stash, put some pain killers into my leg and then cleaned it up real good.  I found one of those skin staplers and decided to use it, put six of them in my arm and then wrapped it all up.  Cleaned up my leg and a new scratch I found on my right arm.  I got me a shot glass from downstairs and fifth of Kentucky’s Finest.   I am going to see if I can drink a toast to every damn one of them Zomboys I had to send back to hell.

Day 2 Map

C1Vj9ke.jpg

Took your advice and made myself a base in this gigantic warehouse full of supplies. At this point, I'm almost ready to start making the trek to the railyard. The amount of supplies I have now is insane. I tried to make this list a bit short, might compress weird.

Weapons                                       Water
---------                                           ---------
1 Pistol (93 Rounds)                      2 Pots of Water
3 Shotguns                                    2 Bowl of Water
2 Sledgehammers (96 shells)        4 Water Bottles
3 Crowbars                                    1 Mug of Water
3 Spades                                       
3 Hammers (320 Nails)                  Seeds
2 Axes                                           ----------
2 Baseball Bats                             Broccoli: 6
1 Frying Pan                                 Cabbage: 2
1 Rolling Pin                                  Potato: 4
                                                      Radish: 4
                                                      Strawberries: 4
                                                      Tomato: 3

There's also some miscellaneous stuff like tent pegs, a rainbow of paints, and barbed wire. Nearly ready for that long trek...

*EDIT*
Just after I post this, water and power go out. Great...

That's actually a pretty neat idea, hucking all the stuff in a house into a bag and leaving it by the door, then immediately moving onto the next place up the street. Does it make the looting any quicker of efficient?

I usually take 3 bags with me and cut a safe path during my excursion.  I fill one of my bags with eats and the other with anything else.  When I get enough to fill a bag completely, I move the junk over and drop it at back door.  I then press on.  When I have filled the other two, I just return and pick up the bag on the way home.  I usually get three bags home without incident.  Getting three big hiking bags is awesome for this.

This technique lets me range a bit farther and not be burdned with the extra loot.  For this trip I took two bags, because I knew I would be passing through some prime real-estate.  The streets with fancy, multi-story houses are usually chocked full of great loot.  Especially when they have a storage closet upstairs.  I will usually try to make a bolt hole on these sorts of trips (tearing down upstairs doors or closet doors downstairs), dropping a sheet rope out the window and leaving my loot there.  Sometimes this becomes a way for eastablishing a bolt hole (can opener, few cans of food, few bottles of water and a few backup weapons).

This time I had a plan for medical supplies, so I did not make a safe haven.  However, on the way back I plan to.  While the bar is a great place to stay it is freaking REMOTE.  Redd is going to make this a priority next time, maybe even turned Doc Courtman's place into a retreat... even though a few Zeds are rotting away upstairs.

Took your advice and made myself a base in this gigantic warehouse full of supplies. At this point, I'm almost ready to start making the trek to the railyard. The amount of supplies I have now is insane. I tried to make this list a bit short, might compress weird.

There's also some miscellaneous stuff like tent pegs, a rainbow of paints, and barbed wire. Nearly ready for that long trek...

*EDIT*
Just after I post this, water and power go out. Great...

You need garbage bags (I would shoot for 16 of them) and water cans (at least three).