Rail Yard

American Steel

Diary, Day 4 (at Doc Courtmans)

Those Zomboids are starting to reek.  Either I need to find some way to move them or Doc’s place is just not going to cut it.  I was thinking about that Mini Storage up near Jess and the fencing all night.  The developers put that chain link fence up to the wooden fence near that small sub division.  Maybe they did not really tie it in.  My arm looks a lot better, the skin is pink with no infection.  Looks like I dodged the bullet on getting bit.

Jackpot!  I went up behind the street and made my way through the brush between the wooden fence and the chain link fence.   Sure enough, there was a gap.  A few of them dead fellers caught a whiff of me in the sub division and I had to withdraw.  Suckered them out into the street, using all that brush to slow them down so I only had to take on one or two at a time.  Not exactly sure how long it took, but my arm was a throbbin something fierce.   I went back and squeezed through the gap in the fence.   I was able to force open a window in the warehouse, but it seems a few workers were left.  I had to put down some guy tethered to a forklift and a pair of them were left standing around in the office.   First thing I notice on warehouse was the “Break in Case of Emergency” sign with a fire axe lying within.  Well hell, if the end of the world is not an emergency then I don’t know what is.  I secure that and the started filling my bags, including more gardening tools, nails and three sledgehammer.  My bag were full but I decided not to press my luck.

I just finished making two bags for my trip to the Rail Yard with all my supplies, but I am short on food.  Gonna head east into the nearby subdivision and see what I can round up.  I have enough food back at the bar and I have some here too, but I would rather not put all my eggs in one basket.  If I get run out or have to drop my gear, I would be back to square one.  Best to leave some caches back, just in case.

It took a good portion of the day to clear out the next sub division.  I decided to take a bat with me and clear the place out, then come back through and loot.  After dropping off my loot, I went back out toward the laundry mat and that seedy hotel near the big trailer park.  Did not find anything to write home about on the second trip but the motel has promise.  I could make a much more secure base there than Docs.  Though, that is not what I really need to do.  Might be good to come back through later but the Rail Yard needs to be my real objective.  Pushing further into town may get me more stuff, but that is just more I have to consolidate and move multiple times.  Best to keep my eyes on the prize.

fBoNV2w.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to recon a new way to get to the Rail Yard from Doc Courtmans.  This seems to be the shortest point between A and B.  I have probably 4 to 5 trips of supplies to take as it stands now and pressing further East to a known path is only going to create more loot to haul.  It also push out my time for actually starting on the Rail Yard.  I have enough supplies to get this rolling, time to make the push.

q5HZhHZ.jpg

Note: Ok, it worked.  However, you cannot use a slegehammer to break down chain link fences in the Rail Yard.  Not sure what changed.  This requires a change up to build a platform out over the fencing to get wood easily.  I have a lot more supplies to ferry, but I have enough to start on something.  Time to get building.

I have decided to recon a new way to get to the Rail Yard from Doc Courtmans.  This seems to be the shortest point between A and B.  I have probably 4 to 5 trips of supplies to take as it stands now and pressing further East to a known path is only going to create more loot to haul.  It also push out my time for actually starting on the Rail Yard.  I have enough supplies to get this rolling, time to make the push.

q5HZhHZ.jpg

Good luck on that! I'e also considered making a second attempt at securing the place, but I dunno, Every time someone gets close, disaster strikes. Ah well, I might give it a go on my most recent save where I've got tons of supplies horded in one house. It's time one of us puts this myth to rest of is it possible to secure the damn place without the game refusing to go on. I definitely won't be making progress today, bit of work to do, but will give it a go I guess tomorrow. Surely the game can't seize up on both of us, right?

...right?

Might be worth making sure that RobertJohnson has seen these corrupted save files - sounds like something he should be aware of. Maybe give him a PM?

Can't tell who you're typing to, so I'll just give my own input. I do have the old save file that completely screws up my game and makes it so the game won't start and spazzes the console. I could send them over, but just for the record they're a bit outdated progress wise so no need to try and fix them.

q5HZhHZ.jpg

Good luck on that! I'e also considered making a second attempt at securing the place, but I dunno, Every time someone gets close, disaster strikes. Ah well, I might give it a go on my most recent save where I've got tons of supplies horded in one house. It's time one of us puts this myth to rest of is it possible to secure the damn place without the game refusing to go on. I definitely won't be making progress today, bit of work to do, but will give it a go I guess tomorrow. Surely the game can't seize up on both of us, right?

...right?

It is a game of wait and see.  See how for you can get and pray the game does not crash.

Rail Yard corrupted again :(

I actually ran back and forth to ferry supplies three times.  I then proceeded to barricade up the 2 story building.  I took a break to catch some Zzzzz.  In the morning I hit all four rail bunkers and stowed those supplies.  I then started heading into the woods to the SW of the rail yard's western entrance to get logs.  I made about a dozen runs (carrying 6 logs each), and completely locked down the two story building.  I then dropped a sheet rope from a second story window BUT the sheet rope image did not actually appear.  I saved the game and tried using the sheet rope, but just ended jumping out the window.  The game will not allow me to put another sheet rope in place and the one I did place is invisible (cant use).

So I reloaded the game from my save before using the sheet rope and it set the game back to that morning.  Decided to hit two of the rail bunkers, save the game and reload.  Put me back to that morning, yet again.  This is the same bug I ran into last time.

I am bringing the Rail Yard experiment to a close.  I am hereby dubbing this the Ground Hog's Day Bug.  it brings the playability of the game into question.  Sure, I can play and test out some short run things... but anything long term has a 100% chance of catching this bug.  Once you reach that point, all save games return you to some previous save... not the one you just saved.  Every time you load a saved game, you have a chance of catching it.  I don't know if that is because the game file is getting to big OR something else is working its way into the code.  Does not mean I will not continue to test the game, but it will just be whatever I can do in one sitting.  No need trying advanced skills of any sort or serious construction, because you have a real chance of losing it all.

I have a backed up of all my save files for Redd, so if a dev wants them I would be happy to provide them.

Rail Yard corrupted again :(

I actually ran back and forth to ferry supplies three times.  I then proceeded to barricade up the 2 story building.  I took a break to catch some Zzzzz.  In the morning I hit all four rail bunkers and stowed those supplies.  I then started heading into the woods to the SW of the rail yard's western entrance to get logs.  I made about a dozen runs (carrying 6 logs each), and completely locked down the two story building.  I then dropped a sheet rope from a second story window BUT the sheet rope image did not actually appear.  I saved the game and tried using the sheet rope, but just ended jumping out the window.  The game will not allow me to put another sheet rope in place and the one I did place is invisible (cant use).

So I reloaded the game from my save before using the sheet rope and it set the game back to that morning.  Decided to hit two of the rail bunkers, save the game and reload.  Put me back to that morning, yet again.  This is the same bug I ran into last time.

I am bringing the Rail Yard experiment to a close.  I am hereby dubbing this the Ground Hog's Day Bug.  it brings the playability of the game into question.  Sure, I can play and test out some short run things... but anything long term has a 100% chance of catching this bug.  Once you reach that point, all save games return you to some previous save... not the one you just saved.  Every time you load a saved game, you have a chance of catching it.  I don't know if that is because the game file is getting to big OR something else is working its way into the code.  Does not mean I will not continue to test the game, but it will just be whatever I can do in one sitting.  No need trying advanced skills of any sort or serious construction, because you have a real chance of losing it all.

I have a backed up of all my save files for Redd, so if a dev wants them I would be happy to provide them.

Okay, one time is understandable. Alphas are alphas and you have to get set up for disappointment. Two times? That's suspicious, but can just be a coincidence. THREE TIMES?! That's just ridiculous. Also massive side note, the bug you get and the bug I get are completely different I think. For me, the game stops at the intro warning screen about gamebooster and FPS when you click. Then the game freezes and if you go to look at the console, it spams out unreadable messages. The only fix for me is removing all save files, uninstalling and reinstalling, and that's IF it feels like starting up after that. For you, at least the game will start up!

I have to wonder though, what's the trigger point for the saves screwing up...that is, if there is one. I also find it strange that both of us have had save file problems, but not identical ones. Hope a dev can figure out what the problem here is, because this seems like quite a big bug.

BTW, if you head down the block from Doc Courtman's in the direction of the Rail Yard you will run into some Berry Bushes right at the wood line.  Go into the wood line a bit and you will run into maybe a dozen more bushes.

If you want more bushes, head down the rail line like I have detailed above.  Pay attention to the western side of wood line and you will see a break in the trees.  More berry bushes therein.

Having these bushes in close proxmity to Doc Courtmans gives some serious weight to gathering as a way to supplement your diet.  On one of my trips back from the Rail Yard to Doc Courtmans, I gathered almost 90 berries.  Now at -2 hunger each that might not seem like a lot but -180 hunger is the equivelant to an entire watermelon.  Food for thought!

Now they just need to add roots, nuts and grubs into the mix :)

BTW, if you head down the block from Doc Courtman's in the direction of the Rail Yard you will run into some Berry Bushes right at the wood line.  Go into the wood line a bit and you will run into maybe a dozen more bushes.

If you want more bushes, head down the rail line like I have detailed above.  Pay attention to the western side of wood line and you will see a break in the trees.  More berry bushes therein.

Having these bushes in close proxmity to Doc Courtmans gives some serious weight to gathering as a way to supplement your diet.  On one of my trips back from the Rail Yard to Doc Courtmans, I gathered almost 90 berries.  Now at -2 hunger each that might not seem like a lot but -180 hunger is the equivelant to an entire watermelon.  Food for thought!

Now they just need to add roots, nuts and grubs into the mix :)

Yeah! Eating random wild berries you find is completely safe! I'll admit, good find. Normally I just stay away from trees, as it's way too easy to be caught off guard. Might go over there some time for an appetizer.

Ok, I could not let it die.  Thought the game is corrupted, I started back up and saved my game as I went... but I never closed the game.  I have left my PC for the last few days and left the game running (or pause), praying the game did not crash.  I have some success to report.  The Rail Yard have been sealed off and my base of operation is defensible.  I have cleared out every Zed in the Yard.  In a 24 hour period, I see maybe 6 Zed spawn inside the walls for the entire Rail Yard.  The seem to spawn in the same general locations too.

Northern Entrance

7zNx0fj.jpg

Eastern Entrance

OUGQhUl.jpg

SE Entrance

nfCOTI2.jpg

SW Entrance

6QeiYwZ.jpg

Western Entrance

c7nzYoj.jpg

Fort

k67BLN3.jpg

Eastern Bailey

OzSFFa4.jpg

Norther Bailey

NXIcIsy.jpg

Southern Postern Gate - Sheet rope is bugged for player made windows again.  However, you get the idea.

1p8eMNq.jpg

Western Postern Gate - Not built, but would probably be between the two western windows, just add a door on the ground and drop a sheet rope from the roof.

The lower level cannot be sealed, as the sheet rope bug exists again.  Also, you cannot drop a sheet rope from a full glass window (the ones you cant open).  All windows are barricaded on the ground floor.  The Western room is sealed with a reinforced wall and the door has been barricaded.  The outer window reinforcements are evident in the pics.  The Eastern room series has all the doors barricaded and another reinforced wall placed sealing foyer between the double doors on the southern side and that single door.  When the sheet rope bug if fixed, I will seal the doors and drop another reinforced wall.  As soon as the power fails I will drop in another reinforced wall and the barricade the door.

As you can see, I have not pierced the fence to allow access to lumber.  I have been footing it, 6 logs at a time, to the fort from the western entrance.  As soon as the 2nd story bug is fixed, I will finished the platform near the Northern Bailey and put some method to get up and down (hope a sheet rope).  If the sheet rope bug is not fixed, I will put a set of stairs in the NE section of the parking lot with a matching stair on the other side.  No way am I going to get Zed and one way shot straight into my base.

Oh, you can probably see I put some "L" shaped walls on the outside of my fences that I plan to exit out of.  I call these spurs.  I am quite fond of using them on walls.  They tend to catch Zeds, who then batter on a useless wall instead of chewing on the fortifications that matter.  I also build some of these near my travel paths just out in the open.  Wander Zeds pound on these or get delayed on these, so I can clean them up.  If a fortified spur "+" out in the open in gone, then either I have not been there in some time OR there is a big force on the move.  Sort of a Zed Barometer.

All this took me 1.5 days of time at 12 hours = 1 day in Sandbox.  There is NO WAY Redd could fell the trees necessary and erect all of the these walls in a month, let alone two days.  I will make a series of journal entries later and summarize the construction.  I imagine it would take a single, driven man three or four days to fell the trees, plank the wood and erect a fence over an entrance.  Maybe an additional day or two to barricade.  I image the long SE Fence would take three weeks or so.  I reckon it would take Redd two or three months to get the Rail Yard like he has it now.  Here I am at Day 6 (+21 hours), 976 Zeds Killed and my fav weapon is a hammer.

My next step would to be head back out into the world and secure more nails (I am down to 4.5 boxes), stuff to hold water and food (non perishable taking priority).  Considering the game is "probably" not going to load correctly as soon as this game is shut down, it is probably a moot point.  I pray some planes fly overhead and get the Zeds a moving.  I would like to see what a mass of them would do.   I am guessing, not much.  By the run foot of it, I think my walls take up maybe 5% of the outside wall around the Rail Yard.  So not only do they have to make it out here BUT they have to stumble across one of my fences, en mass.

I think the original intent of me heading to the Rail Yard was to see if it could be secured.  I am satisfied it can.  I will keep posting Diary entries until the game crashes.  However, I am going to extend the fiction of the time.  I am going to add ONE YEAR to my diary.  I will post something about him forgetting about it in the rush to fortify and secure the Rail Yard.  I can say he stumbled across a passel of food and has been recovering from a bout of something serious over the late winter, early spring: sickness or a serious injury (say a broken arm or leg during construction).

My game finally crashed (see thread Holy Sheet Rope?!), and upon restarting it put me back to the beginning of Day 9, even though I last saved at the middle of Day 10.  All of my Day 10 stuff is there.  Well, I can see the crops I put down but there are just an illusion.  I had to replant those.  My recent fence additions, sheet ropes, spilled dirt and supplies levels are all as Day 10.  So it seem the bug revolves around saving some information but not all... at least not all correctly.

It seems in the crash also reset the natural environment.  At least as far back as Day 4 or so.

LJUSQky.jpg

The area that is "X" out I cleared out for lumber.  It was just a slick patch of grass before the crash.  The logs you see on the ground were cut down around Day 4 or 5.

Also seems like some of my constructions have vanished.  The Northern Fence and the SW fence are completely gone.  Even the nearby trees reverted to prior cutting.  The Western and Eastern fences are intact.  The SE Fence is partially intact, though the trees regrew too.

Northern Fence

C2nTnlb.jpg

SW Fence

N7xopt0.jpg

SE Fence

7N2ryek.jpg

The bummer is I am burning through a ton of materials (about 100 nails for the small fences and over 200 for the SE fence).  Plus the time it takes to cut down the trees, haul the logs, cut the lumber and then build the fence.  This is not just game time, but real time I could be looting or whatnot.  I am not sure what is causing the bug, but I do not have the nails to rebuild was is now missing.  Time to head back out, if only to find nails.

As a side note, I discovered you can shoot through chain link fences!  That said, if a lot of Zed pile up on the fence acting all hungry... one or two seem to slip though.