Rail Yard

American Steel

This time I had a plan for medical supplies, so I did not make a safe haven.  However, on the way back I plan to.  While the bar is a great place to stay it is freaking REMOTE.  Redd is going to make this a priority next time, maybe even turned Doc Courtman's place into a retreat... even though a few Zeds are rotting away upstairs.

Is any problem with having corpses in your house?

Oh your diary is amazing! keep up!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This time I had a plan for medical supplies, so I did not make a safe haven.  However, on the way back I plan to.  While the bar is a great place to stay it is freaking REMOTE.  Redd is going to make this a priority next time, maybe even turned Doc Courtman's place into a retreat... even though a few Zeds are rotting away upstairs.

Is any problem with having corpses in your house?

Oh your diary is amazing! keep up!

Re: Corpses - not yet.  When they add in the ability to move corpses and/or clean up the blood then something is planned.  This isn't the Bates Motel after all.

Re: Diary - Thanks.  I am torn between hitting the "prime" real estate I have started to explore (near Courtman Medical) OR go looking in some of the stores (near the main drag).  Redd knows he needs more tools as he is sadly lacking.  He is also going to make the realization that hauling all the loot back to his safehouse is a huge pain.  He will be establing at bolt hole at the very least about three blocks over.

Woo, made some gigantic changes since my last post! First, all of my supplies have been moved to the shack right next to the Rail Yard, right here.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.6097217017602459,0.2168056799891168,162.4492633610185

In the middle of moving the last few bits and pieces of what I've stored over time. All that's left is to start stockpiling planks, increase carpentry (I found a beginner's book and an intermediate's book for Carpentry to help) which I'll do by sawing tons of logs and building the wall around the place. Right now I have just enough food to last me long enough to clear out the whole place and deal with small occasional respawns. Right now my character's stats are insane.

Zombies Killed: 908

Survived For: 1 Month, 3 Days, 23 Hours (Still going too!)

Everything except Farming and Aiming are well above Level 1. I'm so close to actually making the place a base! I'm gonna do 1 more supply run for non-perishables to last me and then start building that wall!

1 Month, 18 Days, 14 hours

I've been surviving off dried ramen noodles and toilet water...winter is here. I managed to snag a sweater off a zombie, but I fear it will get colder. There are 5 entry points around the rail yard. I've managed to block off 2 with a door on the furthest north. I've been working at the wall for the North-East wall for days, but it seems impossible. I need to set up a farm, or else I fear I may die of starvation. My carpentry isn't high enough for Level 4 rain barrels, but I can make Level 2 Rain collectors. I have 18 garbage bags to last me. I often make runs into the city for supplies, but they usually end up with me being exhausted with houses either filled with zombies or have already been looted. My axe broke, so I've been chopping trees with a crowbar. With winter coming, I ask is it too late? Has winter doomed me? Only time may tell...

Also I really need to figure out how to put an image I prt scr'd into a post.

1 Month, 18 Days, 14 hours

I've been surviving off dried ramen noodles and toilet water...winter is here. I managed to snag a sweater off a zombie, but I fear it will get colder. There are 5 entry points around the rail yard. I've managed to block off 2 with a door on the furthest north. I've been working at the wall for the North-East wall for days, but it seems impossible. I need to set up a farm, or else I fear I may die of starvation. My carpentry isn't high enough for Level 4 rain barrels, but I can make Level 2 Rain collectors. I have 18 garbage bags to last me. I often make runs into the city for supplies, but they usually end up with me being exhausted with houses either filled with zombies or have already been looted. My axe broke, so I've been chopping trees with a crowbar. With winter coming, I ask is it too late? Has winter doomed me? Only time may tell...

Also I really need to figure out how to put an image I prt scr'd into a post.

Go get an an account on imgur.com.  You can then post your pics with them hosting.

I was looking to see if running to the railyard was worth it. 

Thanks for telling your tale. It was chock full of helpful information.

I've been making my way down to the rail yard but the woods are full and I've seriously had to consider the value of maiking the trip.  The train yard was a complete bust so running all the way to the rail yard seemed insanely risky for the resources I've burned through.

I've been making my way down to the rail yard but the woods are full and I've seriously had to consider the value of maiking the trip.  The train yard was a complete bust so running all the way to the rail yard seemed insanely risky for the resources I've burned through.

There are TWO good prep site for the Rail Yard (near as I can tell).  While they are staging areas too, the strength is their location and ease for fortification.  There are some other good locations that could be used to layover supplies just as close, but I would call either of them "forts".

rmVCyG4.jpg

The dark blue  is closer to civilization with a base of operations that is easy to fortify.  The down side is it is a little bit further of a hike.  The Old Warehouse is really close, along with a few subdivisons and a trailer park.

The lighy blue is much further removed from civilization but the base of operations that is easier to fortify (just bring a sledge hammer).  Tear down one section of the chain fence with the sledge hammer and boom!  You also have an entire house on the side if you like.

I used the dark blue on may last character (that died from a corrupted game).  I hoofed it to a house near this location and made a very secure safe house.  When I had enough supplies to move in and fortify, I do so in one fell swoop.  I then felled the trees around the entrace to give a clear line of sight and tons of logs to build whatever I felt like.

I believe PlasmaMan is using the light blue, so you will have to ask him how it worked out.  The crashmap overview makes it look like a solid place too.

As for the base itself...

JZx3nyQ.jpg

1. Barricade the windows and doors on the bottom floor.
  2. Wall of the two sections between the building and the fence.
  3. Break down the fence (@ the circle)
  4. Seal off EVERY door downstair except the one to the fridge and the bathrooms.
  5. Wall off the un-needed areas
  6. Buiild your rain barrels
  7. Sew crops between the fence the building.
  8. Fence off the area in front of the base
  9. Fence off an area behind the base.
  10. When power fails, seal off the room with the fridge
  11. When the water fails, wait for the power to fail... then seal off the whoe downstairs.

IF the 2nd level bug gets resolved before you build you base.... dont break down the fence.  Just run a platform across the gap, put in a window and drop a rope.  This means you will need to ferry logs from one of the existing gaps until this is done.

I actually made it to #9 above when my file corrupted.  This included putting a short fence around the 1st floor roof and putting in stairs to go to the 2nd floor roof (not that I could use them).  My plan was to build a few more stories above the 2nd floor... like some Day Z Tower of Babel :)

BTW, you need some sort of gatehouse at your front wall... but I would leave how and where to the individual person.  A walk way from you 1st floor roof would be easy and really safe.

There are TWO good prep site for the Rail Yard (near as I can tell).  While they are staging areas too, the strength is their location and ease for fortification.  There are some other good locations that could be used to layover supplies just as close, but I would call either of them "forts".

rmVCyG4.jpg

The dark blue  is closer to civilization with a base of operations that is easy to fortify.  The down side is it is a little bit further of a hike.  The Old Warehouse is really close, along with a few subdivisons and a trailer park.

The lighy blue is much further removed from civilization but the base of operations that is easier to fortify (just bring a sledge hammer).  Tear down one section of the chain fence with the sledge hammer and boom!  You also have an entire house on the side if you like.

I used the dark blue on may last character (that died from a corrupted game).  I hoofed it to a house near this location and made a very secure safe house.  When I had enough supplies to move in and fortify, I do so in one fell swoop.  I then felled the trees around the entrace to give a clear line of sight and tons of logs to build whatever I felt like.

I believe PlasmaMan is using the light blue, so you will have to ask him how it worked out.  The crashmap overview makes it look like a solid place too.

As for the base itself...

JZx3nyQ.jpg

1. Barricade the windows and doors on the bottom floor.
  2. Wall of the two sections between the building and the fence.
  3. Break down the fence (@ the circle)
  4. Seal off EVERY door downstair except the one to the fridge and the bathrooms.
  5. Wall off the un-needed areas
  6. Buiild your rain barrels
  7. Sew crops between the fence the building.
  8. Fence off the area in front of the base
  9. Fence off an area behind the base.
  10. When power fails, seal off the room with the fridge
  11. When the water fails, wait for the power to fail... then seal off the whoe downstairs.

IF the 2nd level bug gets resolved before you build you base.... dont break down the fence.  Just run a platform across the gap, put in a window and drop a rope.  This means you will need to ferry logs from one of the existing gaps until this is done.

I actually made it to #9 above when my file corrupted.  This included putting a short fence around the 1st floor roof and putting in stairs to go to the 2nd floor roof (not that I could use them).  My plan was to build a few more stories above the 2nd floor... like some Day Z Tower of Babel :)

BTW, you need some sort of gatehouse at your front wall... but I would leave how and where to the individual person.  A walk way from you 1st floor roof would be easy and really safe.

First, Yeah I'm using that wood house area in what I think is light blue. Admittingly(Really Googe? I think that's a word...), I've taken a much more direct approach to securing the place. This is how I'm securing the place so far.

Step 1. Secure nearby shack for hauling supplies.

Step 2. Charge into the center of the railyard.

Step 3. Fire gun

Step 4. Kill any zombies (preferably melee)

Step 5. Option 1. Secure anyplace in the rail yard that has a place to sleep.

Step 5. Option 2. Make a tent (I did this because hey, I need to use those tent pegs sometime...)

Step 6. Start blocking off all entrances with wood walls (My progress so far is below)

82umBxA.png

(Will edit if image does not appear)

Step 7. Continue rain barrels and massively extend farm

Step 8: Decorations to look fabulous

Step 9: ???

Step 10: Profit

Just a rough idea of what I'm gonna do, but I've had a massive headache recently so haven't played in a few days or so + schoolwork so might not update as often. Although I doubt anyone is actually following my antics and are probably waiting for Steel's awesome written story :P

Oh yeah, and this happened at one point...

7CvPJuj.png

Just crashed my game and duplicated my save. I don't dare open it, maybe someone can explain it. Either way, really didn't set me back, I backup the save every time I get up for a stretch and a break. Anyway, thought I'd pop back in here for a few minutes since I saw my name being quoted :P Back to having what I believe is a migraine...

*EDIT*

Left out a minor detail to anyone who wants to attempt what me and Steel are doing, I'd recommend going where he highlighted in dark blue for a base to transport goods, as it's a pain to go through the forest(personal experience) and you WILL get lost until your 6th or 7th run through. Even then, if the meta-game acts up and a gunshot is fired while you go through the forest, it draws out just about any zombie waiting in the forest. You're safer off with dark blue base just for the sake of safety and convenience.

Great info American Steel and PlasmaMan!  Thanks.

As it turns out, the little house on the dark blue line is where I am.  Its quiet now and it's a long run, but as you mentioned, it's safer.  The light blue farm house is not an option for me.  That farm is crawling with zeke and the forest getting there was treacherous. It almost took me out and with being alive for 5 months, I had some real fear moments lol.  

It's longer and will take more runs to raid the rail yard but its still way safer for me.

I finally cleared the running path to get there but those rail car garages are dangerous.  I found the stairs DID NOT go to a second level filled with delicious meats, cheeses, and riches (glorious nails) but I fell and almost died.  I was able to heal up for the run back but I was exhausted and had to make that run in the dark.  I hate that.

I'm hesitant to make the rail yard a formal safe house.  It depends on what I've found.  I only found one box of nails.  It hasn't been a good resources yet.  If I don't score enough goodies, to set up shop on site, I'll probably raid it and move on.

--> btw is it worth hauling down a sledge hammer?

Great info American Steel and PlasmaMan!  Thanks.

As it turns out, the little house on the dark blue line is where I am.  Its quiet now and it's a long run, but as you mentioned, it's safer.  The light blue farm house is not an option for me.  That farm is crawling with zeke and the forest getting there was treacherous. It almost took me out and with being alive for 5 months, I had some real fear moments lol.  

It's longer and will take more runs to raid the rail yard but its still way safer for me.

I finally cleared the running path to get there but those rail car garages are dangerous.  I found the stairs DID NOT go to a second level filled with delicious meats, cheeses, and riches (glorious nails) but I fell and almost died.  I was able to heal up for the run back but I was exhausted and had to make that run in the dark.  I hate that.

I'm hesitant to make the rail yard a formal safe house.  It depends on what I've found.  I only found one box of nails.  It hasn't been a good resources yet.  If I don't score enough goodies, to set up shop on site, I'll probably raid it and move on.

--> btw is it worth hauling down a sledge hammer?

Also, for long trips, can you set up a tent kit in a locked factory room to sleep?  How about build a chair in an industrial spot to sleep and then plan 1-3 day excursions.

First, I believe you can set up a chair or tent anywhere to sleep in so long as no zombies are nearby. Normally what I did when hauling supplies is just exploit the fact that you can't pass out and just trek it. Some people don't like that, I have no problems with it. Second, I'm gonna sound a bit stupid for saying this, but I never figured out how to use a sledgehammer. I swing at a wall, nothing. I wait to be not exhausted to swing again, nothing. Consult Steel about that, I hauled a slegde just for the sake of it, but never saw a problem that didn't just end in chop down the door for the Rail Yard. As for setting up base there, I'll quote Steel and let you decide if it's a good place for base.

Below was posted by American Steel, for some reason, reply format screwed up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The whole "problem" with the rail yard is the complete lack of food and water.  Its remote location is strength and weakness.  The existing fencing and dense woods around the facillty really reduce the wandering Zed population.  Once I cleared out an area, the Zeds were just gone.  I roamed around for a day with planes flying overhead and machinegun fire, nothing.  The Zeds ouside the fence would just run into the woodline and vanish.  I even went to far as to get near the woodline and empty a shotgun to see what I could summon.  The three times I tried this, at various locations, I got the attention of two long enough to come out and get their heads caved in.

but I never figured out how to use a sledgehammer.

I do one of two things:

1) Against buildings you right click on a building until you get a right menu that reads something like, "Destroy Industrial?" or "Destroy Carpentry?" and you click and you're avatar will use the tool to open up a wall.

2) Swing it like an ax.  It seems to work with objects but it was really finicky on location.  I tend to look for the menu sensitive spots or move on.

Because at the end of the day, I have to remember that I really do have all I need to live happily ever after at my home base.  All this exploration and foraging is just human greed and expansionism putting my life at risk.

and you WILL get lost until your 6th or 7th run through.

One of the things I do not to get lost is use rotten fruit.

I use eggs, broken watermellon, oranges, lemons and other brightly colored rotten fruit to lay down pac-man like trails through areas where I don't know the landmarks.

It helps prevent me from accidentally getting lost if I'm being chased and not paying as close attention as I should be.

I also like to pretend it helps mask my movements from zed :cool:

and you WILL get lost until your 6th or 7th run through.

One of the things I do not to get lost is use rotten fruit.

I use eggs, broken watermellon, oranges, lemons and other brightly colored rotten fruit to lay down pac-man like trails through areas where I don't know the landmarks.

It helps prevent me from accidentally getting lost if I'm being chased and not paying as close attention as I should be.

I also like to pretend it helps mask my movements from zed :cool:

Yeah, try doing that in an isometric forest where trees block most of what you can see. Sure, a trail might work going up or down, but horizontally? You're better off just using your character's FOV to light up where the non-tree path is...

Easier shown than explained in words.

*EDIT*

Also didn't know if you knew this or not, but slice/smash a rotten watermelon and it becomes instantly fresh. Or so I remember. Hard to think with a headache.

Well, I did it! The rail yard is fully fortified with a farm, little to no zombies, a rain barrel(Looks more like a box), and tons of ammo and guns! It took my character 1 month, 28 days, 14 hours and 1208 zombie kills, but it's fully fortified! All entrances and exits are blocked off with 3 of them having doors. I have tons of all seeds and plenty of equipment to last my character basically forever. All that's left really is to start fortifying buildings, but with all entrances and exits blocked and the majority of zombies killed, there's no real reason. So, I'd call this a success! To anyone out there, it's very much possible, it just takes time and dedication. Also no doubt this would be a great place for a multiplayer base, since there's so much room. So...what next?

Screenshots. NOW. And a map of your looting runs and what not. Documents man! Documents!

Here's a little story. I posted that I secured the place and was done, went to bed, woke up, read your post, opened Project Zomboid for pics, then the console spams so fast I can't even read it. So, I decided to record it. Maybe someone here can make some sense of it. Until I or someone figures out how to fix it, can't play :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mw6LHRWhqsk&feature=youtu.be

I finished Day 3, put my "map" together, posted my wall of text AND the browser crashed.  I have my imgur map but I will have to recreate an hour worth of fiction.  Blech.  I will put another story together and upload it over the next day or so.  I am going back to writing my fiction on Word and the copy/pasting the end result.  That really chaps my hide.

Here is a bit of a map spoiler...

FW7M6K3.jpg

I can tell you for a FACT Zeds are gathering together in greater number in my Build 21.  The main drag looks like a Pink Floyd bloc party.  I actually saved my game, copied it and then ran from the mini mall to the Old Warehouse, pausing ever now and again to get a good Zed screen count.  You will not believe the total...

1152!!  Give or take a dozen.

Based on the number of Zed along the main drag from what Redd saw, before the save game Zed Grand Prix, he will probably not hit the main drag... ever.  The further I move into town the larger the Zed spawn sizes.  I could not imaging what a herd of this magnitude would do to a fortificaion.  Make the Rail Yard look even more appealing.

Well, I did it! The rail yard is fully fortified with a farm, little to no zombies, a rain barrel(Looks more like a box), and tons of ammo and guns! It took my character 1 month, 28 days, 14 hours and 1208 zombie kills, but it's fully fortified! All entrances and exits are blocked off with 3 of them having doors. I have tons of all seeds and plenty of equipment to last my character basically forever. All that's left really is to start fortifying buildings, but with all entrances and exits blocked and the majority of zombies killed, there's no real reason. So, I'd call this a success! To anyone out there, it's very much possible, it just takes time and dedication. Also no doubt this would be a great place for a multiplayer base, since there's so much room. So...what next?

With the stair bug fixed, I would:

1. Put a tower on the roof of the two story building.  Make it accessable only by a rope ladder.  Repeat the process out into the woodline for lumber.
  2. Make a roof top garden on the two story building.
  3. Put some sort of retreat onto the roof of the single story building.  Preping a roof top garden would not be a bad idea.
  4. Seal off the train car bunkers and see if you can make gardens ontop of those joker.
  5. "Castle" the 4 rail car bunkers, using the bunkers as "towers". 

BTW, good work on your efforts.  You are playing a LOT more than I am of late... that is for sure :)  Well that and I spend an hour to two to put some fiction together after every day in the game.  So I am shooting my play time in the foot for a good story... which I can live with.

1. Put a tower on the roof of the two story building.  Make it accessable only by a rope ladder.  Repeat the process out into the woodline for lumber.
  3. Put some sort of retreat onto the roof of the single story building.  Preping a roof top garden would not be a bad idea.
  4. Seal off the train car bunkers and see if you can make gardens ontop of those joker.

BTW, good work on your efforts.  You are playing a LOT more than I am of late... that is for sure :)

First, thanks. When I set goals, I tend to rush headfirst to complete them. Some say that's a flaw, others follow suit. Also I would do all that, but check my post about the strange console bug where I filmed it.

BTW, good work on your efforts.  You are playing a LOT more than I am of late... that is for sure :)

First, thanks. When I set goals, I tend to rush headfirst to complete them. Some say that's a flaw, others follow suit. Also I would do all that, but check my post about the strange console bug where I filmed it.

Game crashes are a PAIN, but they happen.  As I have said before, I have lost more characters to bad bytes than Zed bites.  I save my game at the end of every session and put it into a folder with a date/time stamp for a name.  I can then at least attempt a recovery.  However, sometimes even that is not enough (ie my last toon).  Some are just lost :(  Very disheartening.  My only suggestion is use the Print Screen feature in your PC and not the in game screen capture.  The in game screen capture has screwed up two of my games.  So, I will not use it again.

Game crashes are a PAIN, but they happen.  As I have said before, I have lost more characters to bad bytes than Zed bites.  I save my game at the end of every session and put it into a folder with a date/time stamp for a name.  I can then at least attempt a recovery.  However, sometimes even that is not enough (ie my last toon).  Some are just lost :(  Very disheartening.  My only suggestion is use the Print Screen feature in your PC and not the in game screen capture.  The in game screen capture has screwed up two of my games.  So, I will not use it again.

Actually I always use print screen for pictures and I have 11 backup saves of the Rail Yard Run. I just didn't know why I couldn't get to the title screen.

Actually I always use print screen for pictures and I have 11 backup saves of the Rail Yard Run. I just didn't know why I couldn't get to the title screen.

If you still cant get on... check out the Bug Report section.  If you don't finding anything, post it as a bug.

Okay, major update on the status of my save file...

So, first thing I did was uninstall and reinstall Project Zomboid. Didn't work. Next thing I did was test it in compatibility mode. Didn't work. After that, I looked through the bugs and crashed forum. Didn't find my problem. So, being the stubborn person that I am, I decided to solve the problem myself. I dug up and old laptop that my mom used to use, which she claimed was broken and wold not start. All I had to do was go into Safety Mode, use a system restore, and the thing was basically brand new. Booted it up, filled with viruses. Thanks mom! 3 scans and a restart later, it was clean. Installed Steam and Project Zomboid. Dusted off an old USB and moved backup saves. I have no idea why the file transfer rate took me over an hour, but it did. So, moment of truth. Ctrl+X, Ctrl+v'd the backup into the folder, booted it up, ran perfectly fine. Opened the save, now get ready for this...the save was nearly an in-game month old with nothing constructed and barely any supplies moved...

So that's as far as I'll ever go into the Rail Yard! I'm definitely not attempting this, but I wish American Steel the best of luck! and to any out there who want to attempt this, I've made up a little story, enjoy! (Sanity totally not shattered)

They say the rail yard is the greatest place to ever fortify. Many have attempted it, but none have succeeded. Whenever they get close, disaster strikes. They call it the 8th wonder of the world. Such a glorious prize, it draws many in with it's alluring promises. So much land that most cannot even plan what to do with it all. Most of it fenced off for easy fortification. A plentiful amount of buildings to call home. Some even refer to it as the greatest place on earth. But anyone who dare attempts it fall victim to believing that it's possible to tame the wild beast known as "Rail Yard". The sheer amount of zombies inside, along with a barren amount of supplies within makes for harsh, unforgiving terrain. Even if they manage to clear out all zombies within and set up supplies there, they still need to make sure it's secure inside. They add wood walls to the fences to make sure none may enter. This is a feat within itself, as the astonishing amount of wood, nails, and perseverance needed to construct such a wall is enough to make anyone go mad with repetitiveness. But the strangest part happens after that. In extremely rare cases when a survivor has the endurance to do everything needed to secure the rail yard, they vanish. Some say they became zombies, some say they went mad with insanity and killed themselves. Others believe they roam the streets, guns in hands, killing anything that moves, as a vengeance to the spirit of the rail yard. People still attempt it today, never to be heard from again...

Diary, Day 3:

It was dark and they were behind me, somewhere.  Dare not turn around, might trip over my own feet.  I was tired of running.  Felt like I was being chased through blackstrap molasses.  They were closing.  A ragged hiss was close!

I woke up in a sweat.  Sound of them on the wind carried through my window.  Got up to look outside and knocked over the empty fifth.  I hushed its rolling with a pillow and held by breath.  Peeking outside I saw one was shuffling up the street while another two looked to be out in the parking lot.  I rubbed my head and looked back to the bottle.  Should not have mixed booze and painkillers.  My arm is throbbing and my head is killing me.  My muscles were sore and my stomach was complaining about its diet of cheeseburgers and soda’s being days overdue.

Not bad.  I looked out over the pool table which had become a sort of battle map.  I laid out every brochure and travel guide I had of the town from my excursion.  Marked out where I had been and filled in the gaps from memory with chalk.   Laid balls out in locations I knew them Zomboids were.  Bar was at the shooting side of the table, near the pocket on my left.  Between the right middle and far side pockets was the edge of the Rail Raid.   It was so damned far away.  Just a few minutes drive has become a damned Greek tragedy.  I rubbed my arm, bandaged needed looking at.

I took stock in what I had and realized I was far from ready.  There is also the small matter of ferrying all my supplies from here to there.    Lets not forget we may have grand ideas, but woefully under prepared in heavy tools and real know how.  Looking out over the map my plan took form.  Hit the mini storage place across from the trailer park just up the road.  Then head up to Books a Billion and see what they have in the DIY section.  I then need to pick some place close but not to far out for a beachhead into the next section of the town.  Doc’s would be good, I just need to clear out the subdivisions nearby.  Time to get busy.

….

Jesus must really love me.  The trip to the mini storage was fine.  Sure I ran into a few of them but it is not like they are changing up their method.  I have been running through the woods for about five years snagging poachers or catching some yahoo fishing on someone else land.  You have to be careful: don’t know what they are packing, if they have a warrant out on them or if they are just having a bad day.  They could run, fight, flee, bite, shoot or just crap their britches.  These Zomboid just come straight at you, sometimes all Frankenstein like and sometimes not.  Sometimes they are carrying on like a cat with its tail in a fan, others don’t make a sound.  They all just want to take a bite out of you.  Not saying it is easy caving in someone’s skull with a bat, crowbar or hammer.  It is tougher than the TV makes it look.  But you get em down on the ground and not another one nearby, it is like setting up a tent.  You just lean in with the hammer and pound the tent stake on home.  Like I was saying, the mini storage was fine even if I did not really find what I was looking for.  I was not about to waste a week pouring through someone stuff that was so important to them… they kept it in another place.  Cheap furniture, old clothes, photos and old porn.  I did find a some sporting equipment that might have some promise, some nails and a few box of various seeds

My way to Books a Billion was not uneventful but nothing unexpected.  I kept quiet and moved slow, taking almost an hour to move a block.  If I killed one, I killed twenty of them.  I popped the lock on the back door and eased my way in.  Found the DIY section and filled my carry bag plum full of materials: gardening, electrician, mechanic, carpentry, lawn care… you name it and I pushed it in.  Made my way to the register and found some of those fancy energy drinks, overlooked by others.  I shook one up and opened up a Chocolate Mocha Explosion (with some Chinese herbs added), man was it good.  Next thing I knew, I had drunk three of those little things.  Felt like I could hit one or two other stores, maybe find something else.  I went out the front door and looked down the street.  All I could see was the dead, up and acting all busy.  From here to the edge of town maybe 200, more than I could reckon that was fer damn sure.   I open the next store up and rummaged around, nothing.

I pressed my luck one more time and my luck ran out, the business alarm went off and the Zomboid let out a moaning scream scarier than a bag full snakes let loose in a movie theater.  I slid the bag off my shoulder and started running, using the bag as a padded shield.  I could hear the football coach shouting in my head as I ran toward the Gas 2 Go.  The eats was still a smoldering and it seemed like there was as many of them ahead of me as behind.  I broke though one group and ran over to the police station, only to run into more of them.  I ran and jumped straight over the barbed wire fence and kept putting more distance and things between me and them.  I slowed to quite the furnace building in my lungs to see there were more than a few hundred behind be.  I side the bag back over my shoulder and pulled out my hammer, running into the side door of the Gas 2 Go.  Sure enough, the few I lost in there yesterday were milling around inside.  I knocked one over and then buried my hammer into the other.  Going back, I finished the floored one off and went out the front door.  I went around the back of the building and put another one down.  I looked out behind the building and saw most of them had come to a stop.  They were either crowded up near the eats, the police station or in the field.  I moved slowly toward the woodline and then crawled until I got out of sight.  I ran back to the bar and stowed my find.

….

I am about to hit the sack and I am now at Doc Courtman’s place.  I have not moved any of my supplies, but I have secured the place.  After my run in at the book store I decided the main drag was just to risky.  Maybe all them Zomboids remember where most of the people were in their heads or something, so they stay there.  Maybe it is all the bright light.  I dunno, I just know I am not going there.  I decided to take a look at the mini storage near Jess’ place to see if I could make that a secure place.  With the fence and limited gate access, it could have been a nice place.  Except them Zomboid are crawling all over.  Maybe I can find some wire cutter and sneak in the back, because trying the front entrance is not gonna happen. 

I cleared out the sub division just the other side of Circle Hey!, the rest of the subdivision near Docs and the rest of the rich sub division I was in yesterday.  The smaller sub divisions were mostly empty, maybe a dozen of them scattered out in back yards or standing near a front door.  The large herd I had show up was mostly gone, but I decided not to press my luck.  I pulled all supplies from all the houses and made a nice stash at Docs.  I then covered all the down stairs windows and put a sheet rope out the upstairs window.  I then barricaded the door and erected a ridiculous wooden wall at the base of the stairs.  From the outside, it looks just like any other place.  If they don’t take an interest in me coming or going, I should be safe…. Maybe safer than at the bar.

FW7M6K3.jpg

Note: Life been kinda rough going this week, no real time to play or narrate my trip.  Taking a few hour to play tonight, so I should have another diary entry by Monday.