Attaching metal to clothes

MrTrololo

currently we can increase clothes protection a bit by stiching patches to them leather,jeans and cloth so here's idea to attach metal pieces to leather jacket for example to turn it into partially bite and scratch proof but would make it heavier and decrease mobility not to mention more noise generation during movement

to attach metal pieces and metal sheets we would require additionaly leather pieces,thread,needle and screws

• 2 weeks later...

+1 agree

also magazines wrapped around wrists and ankles with duct tape. (should need to use more duct tape to put back on)

there should also be a risk of cutting your hands when working with sheet metal (without gloves on). never in my life have I cut my hands so frequently than working with sheet metal. 

The problem is that any significant amount of metal to armor you would be RIDICULOUSELY heavy. So yes, they could add this in, but in the end it would be the thing that killed you. Think about it. Against a single zambie it might be useful. Heck, it'd probably give 100% scratch and bite resistance. But, the thing is, you would be much slower because of the weight of the metal and your attacks would be slower, again, because of the weight. Now, fight against five zambies. The defense is good, but pair that with slower attack speeds and generally slower movement... These zambies could very easily be your end.

On 12/21/2021 at 5:23 PM, Extrema said:

The problem is that any significant amount of metal to armor you would be RIDICULOUSELY heavy. So yes, they could add this in, but in the end it would be the thing that killed you. Think about it. Against a single zambie it might be useful. Heck, it'd probably give 100% scratch and bite resistance. But, the thing is, you would be much slower because of the weight of the metal and your attacks would be slower, again, because of the weight. Now, fight against five zambies. The defense is good, but pair that with slower attack speeds and generally slower movement... These zambies could very easily be your end.

you're only trying to stop bites and scratches not bullets. (or are you?) I also don't think a full suit of plate armor would be practical either but simply reinforcing wrists and ankles would be totally reasonable in the circumstances and not too heavy by any means. 

I'm thinking of 1mm thick steel or AL sheet, about 20cm square, hammered into a 'tube' to wrap around the wrist or ankle with a magazine underneath for rigidity. it wouldn't be too heavy and would certainly be enough to stop teeth from sinking in. 

magazine / comic book + duct tape = wrist/ankle brace.

ballpeen hammer + small metal sheet + wrist brace + duct tape = reinforced brace. 

It should significantly lower the chance of getting lacerations, bites, scratches, on the wrist or ankle when worn.

In orienteering class in high school, we were taught to make emergency splints for fractures and sprains out of rolled up magazine or newspaper before moving a patient. Would be good if this would give you slightly faster movement if you have a sprain or fracture. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'd be pretty happy with just forearm and shin guards made from tincans.

Take a tin can, remove the top and bottom with a can opener, split it lengthwise with a saw, poke holes along the sides with a nail+hammer. overlap the 2 pieces by about an inch to avoid a gap (alternatively weld together), and sew them directly onto the clothing. OR just sew them together and sew on some leather straps to make standalone forearm/shinguards.

Realistically should be completely impervious from scratches and almost completely impervious to bites. They should degrade fairy quickly though, especially from bites. It's thin soft sheet metal after all.