Travelling between towns (when vehicles are implemented)

thansen1983

What I think would be really cool once vehicles are introduced in the game is the ability to travel to other towns by road.

I could see it working like this:

- You would have to fill enough gasoline on your vehicle

- You could put what you want to bring with you in the baggage compartment

- You would exit the current area at the edge of the map, by road.

- Then you would get a map where you had the choice to travel to other towns. It would also tell you the distance and how much gasoline you would need.

- Then you would see a loading screen telling you that you were travelling.

- Perhaps you would randomly encounter packs of zombies blocking the road sometimes while you were on these "loading-screen" trips.

- You would then spawn with your vehicle in a randomly generated smaller map with the road you were travelling on, some trees, perhaps some houses or a distant gas station. Or maybe a roadside diner.

- You could turn your vehicle around and go back if shit gets too hot, or you could press on to reach your destination.

- After reaching your destination you will spawn in a new city map area with your vehicle and the supplies you brought with you.

What do you other guys think about this idea? :-)

What I think would be really cool once vehicles are introduced in the game is the ability to travel to other towns by road.

I could see it working like this:

- You would have to fill enough gasoline on your vehicle

- You could put what you want to bring with you in the baggage compartment

- You would exit the current area at the edge of the map, by road.

- Then you would get a map where you had the choice to travel to other towns. It would also tell you the distance and how much gasoline you would need.

- Then you would see a loading screen telling you that you were travelling.

Why doex that make me remember The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct?

Anyways, it's a good idea for an distant future!

Why would you introduce loading screens to a game that streams the world pretty much seamlesly? You'd miss all the action or the lack of it when your driving to another town.

In case you didn't know the map is going to be all one big map and not different towns or places which you choose from to go. If you wanna go left on a road or stop in the middle of it, there's no loading screen in the way. Hell, you can jog into Louisville from West Point if you really want to (whenever it's implemented).

In case this is a fast travel suggestion I say it's a definite no from me! I hate fast travel and it dumbs down the gaming experience by a ton. You skip half or even more of the game by using fast travel. And where PZ focuses on realism I don't really see a reason why you would suddenly teleport into a different place. Also coding wise I think it would be a problem to add random events between loading screens etc. versus having the world which just streams along.

The only problem I see will be that how will they be able to make the game smooth enough for such fast map streaming as you'd have with vehicles.

Why would you introduce loading screens to a game that streams the world pretty much seamlesly? You'd miss all the action or the lack of it when your driving to another town.

In case you didn't know the map is going to be all one big map and not different towns or places which you choose from to go. If you wanna go left on a road or stop in the middle of it, there's no loading screen in the way. Hell, you can jog into Louisville from West Point if you really want to (whenever it's implemented).

In case this is a fast travel suggestion I say it's a definite no from me! I hate fast travel and it dumbs down the gaming experience by a ton. You skip half or even more of the game by using fast travel. And where PZ focuses on realism I don't really see a reason why you would suddenly teleport into a different place. Also coding wise I think it would be a problem to add random events between loading screens etc. versus having the world which just streams along.

The only problem I see will be that how will they be able to make the game smooth enough for such fast map streaming as you'd have with vehicles.

^One big map

Because its all one big map This is pointless I mean why have cars if all they are is a fast travel.

The point of cars is driving and because it is one big map (I dont think the op knows this) It makes you miss the game.

I think fast travel would take alot away from the game if you have a car you are fast as it is.

^One big map

Because its all one big map This is pointless I mean why have cars if all they are is a fast travel.

The point of cars is driving and because it is one big map (I dont think the op knows this) It makes you miss the game.

I think fast travel would take alot away from the game if you have a car you are fast as it is.

You are right. I did not know they were planning to put every town in one big map. I thought (I dont know why) that future towns/cities would come as separate maps.

I too think a "fast-travel" function would ruin the game. That was not what I was talking about. I agree with both of you.

Could one of you please direct me to where the future plans for the one big map is described in detail?

It's all a bit scattered really. There's no fixed info on the map. The devs have just stated somewhere that everything will be all in the same map, as is with West Point and Muldraugh atm. The closest I could find on the subject is the Mondoid, 21 Oct, 2013 or teh APZDTISA II. You should also check out the other weekly mondoids if you haven't yet! There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. :)

It's all a bit scattered really. There's no fixed info on the map. The devs have just stated somewhere that everything will be all in the same map, as is with West Point and Muldraugh atm. The closest I could find on the subject is the Mondoid, 21 Oct, 2013 or teh APZDTISA II. You should also check out the other weekly mondoids if you haven't yet! There's a lot of interesting stuff in there. :)

You know, I actually thought (what I now know is) West Point was just a part of Muldraugh. And that "West Point" was located on a completely seperate map, because I have not chose to begin my game there yet. And therefore I saw the need for travelling between West Point and Muldraugh and future towns/cities. It's becoming more clearer now :-)

And thanks alot for the pointers, I will check them out

You know, I actually thought (what I now know is) West Point was just a part of Muldraugh. And that "West Point" was located on a completely seperate map, because I have not chose to begin my game there yet. And therefore I saw the need for travelling between West Point and Muldraugh and future towns/cities. It's becoming more clearer now :-)

And thanks alot for the pointers, I will check them out

This should give you a good idea of what the map looks like: http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.7701438039950658,0.18041976535378815,1.44

Louisville should be to the north-east, kind of where the river would go if it didn't curve.

Also, try using Google Maps to find the area.

• 2 weeks later...

Aye, fast travel has ruined many an immersive gaming experience (the Elder Scrolls, anyone?). I think they won't have trouble with the streaming speed- they had a proof of concept video a while back where the player ran extremely fast, and the game kept up ok. This could all be different once 3D rendering happens, though.

Aye, fast travel has ruined many an immersive gaming experience (the Elder Scrolls, anyone?). 

Yeah, it was terrible in Skyrim.

If fast travel ever ends in PZ, the Devs must have gone insane.

The problem with Skyrim was the mountains and the unintelligible pathways. I mean Fast Travel sucked but travelling on foot wasn't fun, it became a chore of figuring out where the paths were.

Aye, fast travel has ruined many an immersive gaming experience (the Elder Scrolls, anyone?). 

Yeah, it was terrible in Skyrim.

If fast travel ever ends in PZ, the Devs must have gone insane.

The problem with Skyrim was the mountains and the unintelligible pathways. I mean Fast Travel sucked but travelling on foot wasn't fun, it became a chore of figuring out where the paths were.

Plus there were bandits and vicious animals around every corner.

M

The only fast travel I want to do in a car involves running down zombies.

At speed? Enjoy destroying your car in a single hit.

I think we would need to "zombie" modify the cars to some extent.  If would prefer a 60s era truck with a solid steel exterior.  However, running you car in reverse would be best.  Like demolition derby, the back end is just padding.  Hits to the front are another matter entirely.

M

I think we would need to "zombie" modify the cars to some extent.  If would prefer a 60s era truck with a solid steel exterior.  However, running you car in reverse would be best.  Like demolition derby, the back end is just padding.  Hits to the front are another matter entirely.

Never thought of that. Would probably be the best way.

M

Depends on what kind of vehicle you're driving. If the engine is in the back, then the front is just as plausible to take damage.

M

Depends on what kind of vehicle you're driving. If the engine is in the back, then the front is just as plausible to take damage.

Really?!  OMG.  I think most people picked up on that since a vast, VAST majority of cars and trucks in the US are front engine vehicles.  The whole point of demolition derby drivers going backwards is to protect the engine.  If you had rear engine car, then you would drive forward.  Air cooled VW Beetles and vans, Corvair, DeLorian, Some BMW's, many models of Porche, and the Pontiac Fiero, although they CLAIMED that it was "mid engine", but if the driver is sitting in front of the engine then I would call it a rear engine car.  There may be a few I missed, but I doubt many of these (besides a VW Bug or Van) would be available to the player. 

I did not spell that out in my original post, letter by letter... but I think common sense dictates.

-snip-

I did not spell that out in my original post, letter by letter... but I think common sense dictates.

Nothing to be riled up about... I wasn't attacking your post, just mentioning and filling the gaps. Not all people know that all engines aren't in the front of the car, just because it seems obvious to you.

Hey guys, I didnt mean fast-travel :P

I was unaware that they were making one huge map with several towns.

I thought they were going to make separate maps for each town, and I was pondering a way to travel between those towns.

I did not mean fast travel Thansen1983.  Well, fast in that I might be running them over :P

Aye, fast travel has ruined many an immersive gaming experience (the Elder Scrolls, anyone?). I think they won't have trouble with the streaming speed- they had a proof of concept video a while back where the player ran extremely fast, and the game kept up ok. This could all be different once 3D rendering happens, though.

play arena and daggerfall they had fast travel