Why is installing Java so freaking difficult?

kinyoshi

SO I have been trying to update Java, so PZ will run and I can update my mods and have been running into soooooooo many problems.

First, the newest update requires a file from an outdated version, SO I try installing that version which requires a file from a further outdated version, try installing that version, it needs an older file.. wtf..

I have wasted over 600mb of bandwidth. I quit..

Not trying to spam or make people mad, just venting.,

SO I have been trying to update Java, so PZ will run and I can update my mods and have been running into soooooooo many problems.

First, the newest update requires a file from an outdated version, SO I try installing that version which requires a file from a further outdated version, try installing that version, it needs an older file.. wtf..

You might like to try an outright Java installation, rather than an update... Just saying, the updates require files from the previous version to be present (you're going to be going back further and further until you use a full installation), whereas the installations require nothing to already be there.

By the sounds of your description, you're trying to update java without a previous installation already present.

You might like to try an outright Java installation, rather than an update... Just saying, the updates require files from the previous version to be present (you're going to be going back further and further until you use a full installation), whereas the installations require nothing to already be there.

By the sounds of your description, you're trying to update java without a previous installation already present.

Well that's just a stupid way to make software.... How do I find the complete java installation?? Their site is sooo retarded, I already had to register three times (their site is stupid) just to download older versions..

Edit: All I can find is the 7.45 update one, which of course doesn't work because it needs a file from 7.17 and I have 7.25 installed.

Well that's just a stupid way to make software.... How do I find the complete java installation?? Their site is sooo retarded, I already had to register three times (their site is stupid) just to download older versions..

Edit: All I can find is the 7.45 update one, which of course doesn't work because it needs a file from 7.17 and I have 7.25 installed.

I don't see anything stupid about it, it ensures that people with Java already installed only need a small 'patch' to update to the newest version instead of a full download including the stuff they've already got. That would be stupid...

You're looking for the full JRE install, which is different depending on which OS you're running.

I think the main download page is here, and it also has links to check your current installation is working as it should. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit programs interchangeably, then you'll need to install both versions of Java (which can become troublesome, since whichever one you install second usually detects the first one and likes to inform you as such multiple times).

If you've got Windows, then the installation guide/manual is here.

Hope that helps. From then on out, as long as you update Java, rather than trying to install a newer version, it will only grab the small update file(s) which I suspect you've been trying to use up til this point. Also, I don't think you should have needed to register anywhere to get the files from the official, and legitimate Java.com - so you might like to check what it is that you've been downloading (might smell like trojans/malware), and unregister from wherever it is that you gave some details...

I don't see anything stupid about it, it ensures that people with Java already installed only need a small 'patch' to update to the newest version instead of a full download including the stuff they've already got. That would be stupid...

You're looking for the full JRE install, which is different depending on which OS you're running.

I think the main download page is here, and it also has links to check your current installation is working as it should. If you use 32-bit and 64-bit programs interchangeably, then you'll need to install both versions of Java (which can become troublesome, since whichever one you install second usually detects the first one and likes to inform you as such multiple times).

If you've got Windows, then the installation guide/manual is here.

Hope that helps. From then on out, as long as you update Java, rather than trying to install a newer version, it will only grab the small update file(s) which I suspect you've been trying to use up til this point. Also, I don't think you should have needed to register anywhere to get the files from the official, and legitimate Java.com - so you might like to check what it is that you've been downloading (might smell like trojans/malware), and unregister from wherever it is that you gave some details...

The link you provided was where I downloaded it from, and where I had to register (to download archived versions).

Sooo, basically I'm screwed then. Unless I reinstall Windows and I don't have a hardrive to save my stuff too,.,

I tried to update from .25 to .40 but it says it needs a file from .15, earliest version I have is .25.. Updating to .45 needs a file from .17..

Oh well, didn't really need to update mods anyway I guess.

Which OS do you have?

Try a little googling - really it shouldn't be that difficult to resolve. Perhaps you've already got yourself a little malware redirecting you to peculiar places?

I don't know, I just know that in my experience it's been a painless task to grab and install Java from there onto clean OS installs.

Which OS do you have?

Try a little googling - really it shouldn't be that difficult to resolve. Perhaps you've already got yourself a little malware redirecting you to peculiar places?

I don't know, I just know that in my experience it's been a painless task to grab and install Java from there onto clean OS installs.

Windows 7, 32-bit.

No malware, no viruses.

The problem initially started when Java version 7.25 needed to be updated.

Your right, it shouldn't be this difficult.. But every install for each version of Java 7 tells me it requires another versions install.msi file..

Edit: Think more about it, I think my best bet (without reinstalling Windows) would be to start from the initial release of Java 7, then use more bandwidth (wayyy over my cap) to download each update for it after. Unless there is an update 45 all in one installer, which I haven't found yet.

Archived