Black Screen Upon New Game (-DSafemode Does NOT Fix)

Dichotomy

Question

NOTE : The latest update of 400kb 12th of November 2013 has fixed this issue by providing two new .bat files, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit. These both launch using compatibility mode and use 1GB memory by default (64-bit) or 3/4GB (for 32-bit). Personally I would increase the maximum memory for the 64-bit version to a higher value (I use 3GB to be safe) if you have the RAM, as 1GB induces to much stuttering on my system

Hello

Purchased and downloaded PROJECT ZOMBOID from Steam about 6 hours ago on STEAM.

So far I have been unable to play the game at all. At the moment I have 2 problems.

1. Have been unable to start the game through either STEAM, STEAM Compatibility Mode or either of the two executable (32bit or 64bit). Upon trying any of these a DOS CMD Window spawns and then closes before posting a single error msg to the console : "Could Not Load Main Client".

SOLUTIONS TRIED :
a). Full Clean Re-Install after deleting local content. Performed 3 times.
2). Download latest 32-BIT and 64-BIT JAVA RUNTIME. Performed twice.
c). Run the ProjectZomboid.bat batch file that launches java directly. This allowed me to get far enough into the game to actually begin a new "campaign".

So great we have a workaround for 1, but this leads to problem 2.

2. Having launched PZ, and begun a new game I am presented with a screen that seems to render the UI perfectly (can read the tutorial hints, get into inventory, stuff like that) but cannot see anything of the in game area. In other words I cannot see my avatar, the houses, zombies, grass etc etc; its ALL black.

SOLUTION TRIED :
a). Installed the latest NVidia video driver 331.65 (had the 327.?? driver previously).
2). Tried moving around the scene for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, as some threads mentioned that time fixed the problem.
c). Tried saving and then reloading, and then moving/waiting.
d). Altered the .bat file to allow for more memory being made available to PZ, as per one of the threads on this/steam forums.
e). Altered the .bat file to spawn using SAFEMODE (ie prefixed with -D) which is supposedly meant to fix issues with the BLACK SCREEN by forcing compatibility mode which uses compressed textures.
f) Reduced in-game GRAPHICS SETTING from HIGHEST and then incrementally down to LOW (as VERY LOW is meant to be broken according to the forums).

So now I am completely out of options.

Now here are my system specs.

Now I realise my processor is currently BELOW what is listed in the STORE page, but consider this to be an extremely unlikely cause for issues, especially considering my FPS is decent and the problem appears to be graphical in nature.

DUAL CORE 2.97GHZ
NVidia GTX 280 * 2 SLI (have tried single GPU and SLI mode, fiddled with various SLI rendering modes, even created my own using NVidia inspector).
6GB DDR3 Mem
Windows 7 64-BIT

So any ideas, as I have exhausted all of the internet's advice that I could find ? I would appreciate some Indie Stone support here if possible (especially as it seems I am not the only one having this issue), but anyone is welcome to assist where they can.

Also is there a list somewhere of the video cards that currently are supported for the shader's setting in the video options? Yes extremely optimistic asking about that given I cannot even run the game, but still while I'm here and all that :)

Thanks Everyone

BTW If you need more info, please just ask as I will be online for another few hours, lamenting all the zombies I could have been slaying (errrr hiding from).

SOLUTION (AS PROVIDED BY ENIGMA GREY)

Problem (1). No solution is available right now, the .BAT file is the only workaround.

Problem (2). The games .bat file is a little "outdated" and has issues, the solution was to replace the original file with a simple one provided by Enigma Grey that would still enforce the safemode/compatibility mode (Respone #45 of this THREAD : http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2891-black-screen-upon-new-game-dsafemode-does-not-fix/?p=40771 . The code for which I have copied below :

64-BIT JRE

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

32-BIT JRE

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

Just copy the above code (depending on what bit-width of JAVA you have) into the file :

ProjectZomboid.bat 

Located at (NOTE : If you are using Windows XP, 32-BIT VISTA, etc, then this will be "Program Files" not "Program FIles (x86)", also if you installed STEAM to a non-default location then my file location will NOT match yours.) :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

NOTE :  (Depending on your OS and settings the .bat extension may or may not be shown by your FileExplorer/Command Line Window. There is only one file called "ProjectZomboid" in that directory, the only similar ones that could confuse you are ProjectZomboid32 and ProjectZomboid64 (these you can ignore).

This will then hopefully allow you to play the game if you were having the same problem as I was in (2).

CAVEAT : As this file has been greatly simplified it has no memory qualifiers included which could (and probably will) mean you will get fairly bad stuttering in game. This can be rectified by adding the appropriate -Xms and -Xmx qualifiers to the file. I have provided two examples of this below, the first uses the memory settings of the original .bat file, and the second uses a modified version for people with more then 4GB of memory. 

For more information regarding JAVA Command Line Arguments and Memory, see the following links :

JAVA Command Line Arguments
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

JAVA Memory
http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaPerformance/article.html

FYR : -Xms sets the minimum amount of RAM that JAVA/PZ will use and -Xmx sets the maximum that it is allowed to use. Do not set your maximum too high or your system will not have any spare memory for anything else and you will get reduced performance as a result. The settings I use work well for the 6GB system I have and got rid of stuttering that was occurring due to memory issues. NOTE : The "m" on the end qualifies the units as being in MB.

Original Memory Settings That Shipped with the game (3/4 - 1GB) :

-Xms768m -Xmx1024m 

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 32-BIT version :

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

The settings to use more memory, as I do in mine (1-3GB) :

-Xms1024m -Xmx3072m

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 64-BIT version, with my ALTERED memory settings :

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024m -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

You can set the memory settings to whatever you want, but setting too high probably wont gain you much, and going over say 2GB max for a 32-BIT system is probably not a good idea. If it does not work or causes issues you can always change it back.

Anyway hope that helps, now if I could only work out how to set a post to ANSWERED on these forums <sigh> :(

Thanks again Enigma Grey for your help.

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

Friggen legend are you !!!!!!! I now can see in game, no more black screen of smothering. I have graphics :)

OK So I am guessing that my installation of java somehow affected the batch  file.

The second one I had was obviously an altered one (copied from the forums), but the first one was as the game installed it.

You might want to change the STICKY on STEAM (if that is within your purview) as that is what I was following to resolve the issues. (At least in the beginning)

Thankyou for your help I really appreciate it.

:) :) :) :)

In theory, all 64-bit versions of Java 7 should run in server mode. The flag just acts as a gurantee in case that version is different.

In the case of the bat, it's meant to be a one-size-fits-all and hasn't seen much love, as far as logic is concerned. Some wires have gotten crossed over the years, partially in the name of convenience, leading to things like -server being where it shouldn't be; In most instances that should fail (32-Bit Java doesn't have a server component, unless you modify it).

The batch really just looks wherever you point the relative path (%ProgramFiles%\java); Change that, change the version of Java. For those who haven't upgraded since Java 6, they need to install a new version of Java. For those who don't have Java, they need to install Java. Most recommendations are based on the assumption that it's easier to get someone to install Java than find out later, in a 3 page thread, that they never had it. ;)

OK that makes sense.

I see now why I was getting confused.

On my batch file the 64 bit version of JAVA was being referenced and I was assuming that was the same for the above poster, so I couldn't figure out how the -server flag was going to change where the batch file was pointing (as they do not have a 64 bit os). So that should mean that in their batch file they would still need to point the batch file to the 32 bit version wouldn't they ? Otherwise the removal of the -sever wont do much will it ? Or do I have this wrong.

Hang on, ignore the above

I just realised they are on XP and therefor Program File does not indicate 64 bit java, like it would on W7. I was expecting their to say Program Files (x86). Ok now I am good, sorry to bother you again.

Your still a legend BTW.

:)

Sorry about that, Fate. Looks like that's another parameter that's only available on certain versions of java. :oops:

You can just remove the DoEscapeAnalysis the same way as server.

Sorry. Hope that's the last of them.

If it's not, just create a new bat file (same steps as above, just call it SimpleBat.bat instead of overwriting the old one):

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

Sorry again for all the trouble.

Had Rathlord upload a bat pre-made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzpn8j6re1w7p92/SimpleBat.bat

just place in your ProjectZomboid folder. (It's the simplified one.)

Just a final UPDATE.

Well my under SPEC machine is now playing the game at a full 30 FPS (Which is what its locked to so no issues there), was kinda worried it would be something horrible based on what other have been saying about their frame rates. Using HIGH lighting setting and set to 1440*900 (or whatever it was), will bump that up to 1080p tomorrow night. Also will try without the compatibility setting and see if it will run or not as I would dearly like to be able to zoom in and out.

Went for a run, didn't seem to drop much (maybe a couple of frames according to FRAPS).

The only performance issues were some occasional lag spikes where performance dropped to about 2-5fps for about 1 second and then rocketed back up to 30. It happened a bit to begin with then dropped off significantly, I assume its doing its meta-game thing in the background. As the lag is for only a second at the most, I cant see it being much of a problem.

And that only using one of the graphic cards so pretty damn happy,

12 hours work for me, 10 minutes for a person that knows what there doing, now all is well. I can now go to bed for all of 2 hours before going to work, someone is getting way overpaid  to fall asleep at work today :)

BTW Fay Thanks for the good wishes, glad I could provide some help for you but I am sure EnigmaGrey will solve your issues for you if they can be solved. As my machine is doing well,  I have hope for yours too.

Good night everyone and goodluck.

BTW @Indie Stone will post my performance data to the thread about DUAL CORE machines for your perusal. Hope that helps you in  some way.

One very happy camper.

YES! THE GAME IS RUNNING!

EnigmaGrey

Thank you SOO much for all of your help! I can not thank you enough. I finally got the game to run! THANK. YOU.  (clyde) Unfortunetly, it does run slowly, but lets see how far I can get. I can always play it another computer, which is comforting to know. I just want to know; will I have to repeat these steps when I try the game on a better computer? I'll have to save this thread in word.

Thank you very much for your patience. :)

Thank you too,

Dichotomy

You were a big help! :D

I just played it on another computer. Did we get the solution for the UI but black screen thing?

Play in compatibility mode is the only solution at the moment.

I have to directly launch the client via the Projectzomboid64 file in the steamapps/common/ProjectZomboid folder. So I don't choose whether or not I go in compatibility mode.

Still, I'm loving the game on my other PC, which launched without a single problem.

Had Rathlord upload a bat pre-made: https://www.dropbox.com/s/yzpn8j6re1w7p92/SimpleBat.bat

That should do it for you, though mind this doesn't have any memory values, so there might be some more pausing at first than normal. If it works fine, then you can complicate it by adding them.

It starts in compatibility mode.

Have the most recent version of Java (Check)

Added (x86) in notepad (Check)

Pasted the SimpleBat.bat file (Check)

Deleted -server, even though I'm running it on a 64 bit OS, which may have screwed things up now that I think of it (Check)

Attempted to run in compatibility mod (Doesn't work)

Attempted to launch .bat file (Doesn't work)

Attempted to launch ProjectZomboid64 (Doesn't work)

Attempted to launch ProjectZomboid32 (Doesn't work)

I'm on my last leg here, a nice single reply in layman's terms describing a list of things to do to solve the black screen problem and the not being able to launch from steam problem would be very helpful.

(this message for black-screen-error statistic)

processor = DualCore Intel Pentium E6500, 2933 MHz
ram = 4gb
video card = Zotac GeForce 9600 GT (512 Mb, GDDR3 256 bit)
drivers= all latest
os & programs = windows 7 x64, java 64-bit, project zomboid 64-bit (0011)
full screen = yes, multi-core = yes, shaders = no, resolution = 1280x1024, lock framerate = 30, lightning quality = low

result = black screen problem (game starts, but i see only GUI); "-dsafemode" fix it but game goes slowly; previous version worked fine.

processor = QuadCore Intel Core i7-2600, 3500 MHz
ram = 8gb
video card = Intel® HD Graphics (2556 Mb)
drivers= all latest
os & programs = windows 7 x64, java 64-bit, project zomboid 64-bit (0011)

result = all works fine

That should do it for you, though mind this doesn't have any memory values, so there might be some more pausing at first than normal. If it works fine, then you can complicate it by adding them.

It starts in compatibility mode.

Use this, please.

So I ran the simplebat, and this is what is showed me.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>".\jre\bin\java.exe
" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainS
creenState -safemode
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Zomboid\
mods\examplemod\media\lua\defines.lua (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.open(Native Method)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:212)
        at java.io.FileOutputStream.<init>(FileOutputStream.java:165)
        at zombie.core.Core.copyPasteFile(Core.java:923)
        at zombie.core.Core.searchFolders(Core.java:909)
        at zombie.core.Core.searchFolders(Core.java:905)
        at zombie.core.Core.copyPasteFolders(Core.java:891)
        at zombie.core.Core.loadOptions(Core.java:772)
        at zombie.GameWindow.maina(GameWindow.java:874)
        at zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState.main(MainScreenState.java:112)
java.io.FileNotFoundException: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\Zomboid\
mods\examplemod\media\lua\Music\MusicChoices.lua (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\luatriggered\paws1.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\luatriggered\paws2.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\luatriggered\paws3.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\luatriggered\paws4.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\preface.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\music\theme2.ogg (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\media\ui\PZ_Logo_New.png (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\mod.info (Access is denied)
mods\examplemod\poster.png (Access is denied)
mods\loaded.txt (Access is denied)
options.ini (Access is denied)
        at java.io.FileWriter.<init>(FileWriter.java:90)
        at zombie.core.Core.saveOptions(Core.java:962)
        at zombie.core.Core.loadOptions(Core.java:774)
AL lib: (EE) alc_cleanup: 1 device not closed

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE
Press any key to continue . . .

You have an interesting problem, Zuthis. For some reason, the command line is defaulting to System32 as its main directory. Obviously, Project Zomboid isn't installed there, so it can't find the necessary files to run it.

Try alterting the bat to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState or
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState

If the space or quotes gives any trouble, try

%ProgramFiles(X86)%\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid\zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState

Don't have any ability to test this myself, unfortunately.