Black Screen Upon New Game (-DSafemode Does NOT Fix)

Dichotomy

Question

NOTE : The latest update of 400kb 12th of November 2013 has fixed this issue by providing two new .bat files, one for 64 bit and one for 32 bit. These both launch using compatibility mode and use 1GB memory by default (64-bit) or 3/4GB (for 32-bit). Personally I would increase the maximum memory for the 64-bit version to a higher value (I use 3GB to be safe) if you have the RAM, as 1GB induces to much stuttering on my system

Hello

Purchased and downloaded PROJECT ZOMBOID from Steam about 6 hours ago on STEAM.

So far I have been unable to play the game at all. At the moment I have 2 problems.

1. Have been unable to start the game through either STEAM, STEAM Compatibility Mode or either of the two executable (32bit or 64bit). Upon trying any of these a DOS CMD Window spawns and then closes before posting a single error msg to the console : "Could Not Load Main Client".

SOLUTIONS TRIED :
a). Full Clean Re-Install after deleting local content. Performed 3 times.
2). Download latest 32-BIT and 64-BIT JAVA RUNTIME. Performed twice.
c). Run the ProjectZomboid.bat batch file that launches java directly. This allowed me to get far enough into the game to actually begin a new "campaign".

So great we have a workaround for 1, but this leads to problem 2.

2. Having launched PZ, and begun a new game I am presented with a screen that seems to render the UI perfectly (can read the tutorial hints, get into inventory, stuff like that) but cannot see anything of the in game area. In other words I cannot see my avatar, the houses, zombies, grass etc etc; its ALL black.

SOLUTION TRIED :
a). Installed the latest NVidia video driver 331.65 (had the 327.?? driver previously).
2). Tried moving around the scene for 5 - 10 minutes at a time, as some threads mentioned that time fixed the problem.
c). Tried saving and then reloading, and then moving/waiting.
d). Altered the .bat file to allow for more memory being made available to PZ, as per one of the threads on this/steam forums.
e). Altered the .bat file to spawn using SAFEMODE (ie prefixed with -D) which is supposedly meant to fix issues with the BLACK SCREEN by forcing compatibility mode which uses compressed textures.
f) Reduced in-game GRAPHICS SETTING from HIGHEST and then incrementally down to LOW (as VERY LOW is meant to be broken according to the forums).

So now I am completely out of options.

Now here are my system specs.

Now I realise my processor is currently BELOW what is listed in the STORE page, but consider this to be an extremely unlikely cause for issues, especially considering my FPS is decent and the problem appears to be graphical in nature.

DUAL CORE 2.97GHZ
NVidia GTX 280 * 2 SLI (have tried single GPU and SLI mode, fiddled with various SLI rendering modes, even created my own using NVidia inspector).
6GB DDR3 Mem
Windows 7 64-BIT

So any ideas, as I have exhausted all of the internet's advice that I could find ? I would appreciate some Indie Stone support here if possible (especially as it seems I am not the only one having this issue), but anyone is welcome to assist where they can.

Also is there a list somewhere of the video cards that currently are supported for the shader's setting in the video options? Yes extremely optimistic asking about that given I cannot even run the game, but still while I'm here and all that :)

Thanks Everyone

BTW If you need more info, please just ask as I will be online for another few hours, lamenting all the zombies I could have been slaying (errrr hiding from).

SOLUTION (AS PROVIDED BY ENIGMA GREY)

Problem (1). No solution is available right now, the .BAT file is the only workaround.

Problem (2). The games .bat file is a little "outdated" and has issues, the solution was to replace the original file with a simple one provided by Enigma Grey that would still enforce the safemode/compatibility mode (Respone #45 of this THREAD : http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2891-black-screen-upon-new-game-dsafemode-does-not-fix/?p=40771 . The code for which I have copied below :

64-BIT JRE

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

32-BIT JRE

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

Just copy the above code (depending on what bit-width of JAVA you have) into the file :

ProjectZomboid.bat 

Located at (NOTE : If you are using Windows XP, 32-BIT VISTA, etc, then this will be "Program Files" not "Program FIles (x86)", also if you installed STEAM to a non-default location then my file location will NOT match yours.) :

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

NOTE :  (Depending on your OS and settings the .bat extension may or may not be shown by your FileExplorer/Command Line Window. There is only one file called "ProjectZomboid" in that directory, the only similar ones that could confuse you are ProjectZomboid32 and ProjectZomboid64 (these you can ignore).

This will then hopefully allow you to play the game if you were having the same problem as I was in (2).

CAVEAT : As this file has been greatly simplified it has no memory qualifiers included which could (and probably will) mean you will get fairly bad stuttering in game. This can be rectified by adding the appropriate -Xms and -Xmx qualifiers to the file. I have provided two examples of this below, the first uses the memory settings of the original .bat file, and the second uses a modified version for people with more then 4GB of memory. 

For more information regarding JAVA Command Line Arguments and Memory, see the following links :

JAVA Command Line Arguments
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/tools/windows/java.html

JAVA Memory
http://www.vogella.com/articles/JavaPerformance/article.html

FYR : -Xms sets the minimum amount of RAM that JAVA/PZ will use and -Xmx sets the maximum that it is allowed to use. Do not set your maximum too high or your system will not have any spare memory for anything else and you will get reduced performance as a result. The settings I use work well for the 6GB system I have and got rid of stuttering that was occurring due to memory issues. NOTE : The "m" on the end qualifies the units as being in MB.

Original Memory Settings That Shipped with the game (3/4 - 1GB) :

-Xms768m -Xmx1024m 

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 32-BIT version :

".\jre\bin\java.exe" -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemode PAUSE

The settings to use more memory, as I do in mine (1-3GB) :

-Xms1024m -Xmx3072m

So for example the BATCH file would look like this for a 64-BIT version, with my ALTERED memory settings :

".\jre64\bin\java.exe" -Xms1024m -Xmx3072m -Djava.library.path=./ -cp lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState -safemodePAUSE

You can set the memory settings to whatever you want, but setting too high probably wont gain you much, and going over say 2GB max for a 32-BIT system is probably not a good idea. If it does not work or causes issues you can always change it back.

Anyway hope that helps, now if I could only work out how to set a post to ANSWERED on these forums <sigh> :(

Thanks again Enigma Grey for your help.

• Answers 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Have you tried running it in compatibility mode through Steam?

Yes I have. Compatibility mode does not work for the same reason as the steam "PLAY" button does not, nor either of the executables ie problem (1) from my post; the error "Could Not Load Main Client", comes up in the command box and then immediately closes.

Running through the .bat is the only way into the game for me ATM. :(

Thanks for the help BTW, even if it didn't help I still appreciate effort.

:)

Yes I have. Compatibility mode does not work for the same reason as the steam "PLAY" button does not, nor either of the executables ie problem (1) from my post; the error "Could Not Load Main Client", comes up in the command box and then immediately closes.

Thanks for the help BTW.

I would say that would be part of your problem.

Thanks for the help BTW.

I would say that would be part of your problem.

What makes you say that ?

Genuine interest here, not being defensive.

The reason I am saying this is that the problems with trying to run the game (ie command window immediately failing, then closing, with the error msg of my previous post) seem to be experienced by many (check the steam forums or here) and the usual solution is to run via the .bat file. Apparently (from what I have read) the game has trouble finding the java installation (or visa versa) on some system and the .bat directly and explicitly enumerates the jre installation and PZ.

The black screen issue is almost certainly a graphical one, and from reading dev posts seems to have something to do with the UI bleeding through to the front and overwriting or obscuring the game world. That was why I made the depth buffer tongue-in-cheek remark.

If you have further information please respond as I could use all the help I can get.

My problem is the console window opens for a fraction of a second when I try to run the game, then it just goes away.

Well I can probably help you with that. There are about 4 things you can try.

1. Have you tried running the game via the .BAT file from the PZ directory on your hard drive ? It should solve your problem (Although it may well just get you further into the game where you have another problem, which is currently my issue).

If you post back over the next 60 mins I will do my best to help you, but after that I will be offline.

Zuthis, it sounds like you may not have the correct version of Java installed http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/47-tech-faq/  Also, try running PZ in compatibility mode.

Dichotomy: thanks for the detailed report :). Unfortunately I'm not from the techy side of TIS so if previous solutions haven't worked I can't really help, but hopefully someone will have something else to try soon.

Zuthis, it sounds like you may not have the correct version of Java installed http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/47-tech-faq/  Also, try running PZ in compatibility mode.

Dichotomy: thanks for the detailed report :). Unfortunately I'm not from the techy side of TIS so if previous solutions haven't worked I can't really help, but hopefully someone will have something else to try soon.

Hey thanks for the response anyway, I appreciate it.

@Everyone/Anyone : If anyone knows if there is a way in-game to tell if safemode is working, that might be helpful ? As currently the only way I can get into safe mode is via the .bat file qualifier ie -Dsafemode and I am not sure if this is working or not. As safemode/compatibility mode seems to fix most other peoples black screen issues (and not mine) it would be useful to know if its actually being invoked or not ?

Anyway back to my forum potential solution vigil :)

My Java is up to date and everything.

I've found the .bat file, but that won't open for more than 2 seconds either.

It could just be because my laptop has a 64 bit OS

I have the exact same problem and I don't understand why. My computer runs other games just fine, and Java is up to date with the most recent version. So far, I've found no answers. I assumed it was because there was some bug in the demo that was not on the Steam version. Big mistake. Well, that's fifteen dollars down the drain.

I know you're frustrated, but we're working to get this game playing for everyone, Fate. Have you tried running the .bat? It can be found in \Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid This helps the vast majority of people, and for those where it doesn't, we should hopefully be able to help them soon.

My Java is up to date and everything.

I've found the .bat file, but that won't open for more than 2 seconds either.

It could just be because my laptop has a 64 bit OS

OK Here what I suggest

If the bat file does not work that try one of the following :

1. The first possibility is that you have a 64 BIT machine on a 32BIT OS or visa versa (can't remember which is impossible)  and the .bat file IIRC tries to run the 64 bit version of java which will fail if you do not have a 64 bit version of java installed and working on your machine.

So try the following :

1. Navigate to your PZ application directory and make a backup copy of your ProjectZomboid.bat file. Then EDIT the ProjectZomboid.bat file (ie right click on it and select EDIT).

2. Change the line that says "%ProgramFiles%\Java\jre7\bin\java" to "%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Java\jre7\bin\java" and then save

3. Now try and run the .bat file again.

If it fails

1. Open up a COMMAND WINDOW and navigate to the PROJECT ZOMBIE steam directory.

2. Run the .bat file (ie the one we changed above) and when it fails make a note of the error msg and repost it here.

3. While your at it rename your ProjectZombie.bat file to ProjectZombieNEW.bat and revert to the original ProjectZombie.bat file.

4. Run this file from the COMMAND WINDOW and make note of the error msg and post it here.

If you do that ASAP I will still be online, if not someone else can take over :)

Hope this helps

BTW If you have not already done so make sure you have downloaded both the 32 BIT version of JRE AND the 64-bit version, as it is unclear to me ATM if you have a 32-bit or 64-BIT OS/machine. A quick look in control panel to let me know what CPU and OS you are running (IBIT wise) would be useful.

I know you're frustrated, but we're working to get this game playing for everyone, Fate. Have you tried running the .bat? It can be found in \Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid This helps the vast majority of people, and for those where it doesn't, we should hopefully be able to help them soon.

Are you sure the file is called .bat? I'm looking through all the files now but I can't find one named .bat. This is probably some misinterpretation on my part. Perhaps .bat is referring to something I'm not aware of?

Are you sure the file is called .bat? I'm looking through all the files now but I can't find one named .bat. This is probably some misinterpretation on my part. Perhaps .bat is referring to something I'm not aware of?

The file is located in your Project Zombie application directory and is called ProjectZomboid.bat

C:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\Project Zomboid\ProjectZomboid.bat

Hope it helps

I just looked again, but there is no file named ProjectZomboid.bat. There are three files named ProjectZomboid, but none of them have a .bat on the end.

Two of the ProjectZomboid files have a 32 and a 64 on the end. One file has nothing on the end of it, its just ProjectZomboid. Is this the .bat you are referring to?

I just looked again, but there is no file named ProjectZomboid.bat. There are three files named ProjectZomboid, but none of them have a .bat on the end.

I think you may not have extensions enabled in your WindowsExplorer so it may not say .bat, I do so mine says .bat.

What TYPE of file does it say ProjectZomboid is (ie in the TYPE heading in WINDOWS EXPLORER) ? Does it say WINDOWS BATCH FILE (or something similar). ?

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ProjectZomboid

Please tell me how to take screenshots and post them here so I can show you what happens when I try to open (what I think) is this .bat file you a referring to.

It says MS-DOS Batch File.

Yes that's the one, it just appears different to you as I have setting enabled that you do not, and we may not be using exactly the same OS (I am using Windows 7 for the record).

So run that file by double clicking on it and let me know the results. Hopefully it will get you into the game.

As for screenshots, just see if that works and then we can move onto there as I am fairly sure I am following you.

If it fails (ie comes up real quick and then closes) I can guide you through what is needed to get an error msg.

It failed. It just comes up real quick, then prompts me to press any key. Once I do, it just exists. Please help.

Yeah no worries that's what I expected it would do.

Look I will do my best.

Screenshot uploading can be a bit involved on most forums as it involves uploading a screenshot to a public server somewhere and then linking it to the forum. Its easy on steam, but that only works once we are in the game. Unless this forum is somehow different and allows direct uploading ???? As I have never uploaded a screenshot to these forums I am assuming its done the standard way. Anyway just put a pin in the screenshots for now, as I don't think we need em just yet.

OK I am typing something out for you now, but will take a few minutes so hang in there. In the meantime can you tell me what OS you are using (if you know) if you do not I can give you pretty easy instructions to find out.

It should be something like.

Windows 7 32-BIT

or Windows VISTA 64bit etc

Post back if you know or do not and I will try and finish what I am doing at this end.

It failed. It just comes up real quick, then prompts me to press any key. Once I do, it just exists. Please help.

1. OK What I would like you to do is run the BATCH file again (ie the MSDOS BATCH FILE called PROJECTZOMBOID) and this time when it fails DO NOT PRESS ANY KEY so that the BLACK WINDOW with the WHITE TEXT on it remains visible.

2. Now bring up WINDOWS NOTEPAD and drag it so it is NOT obscuring the MSDOS BATCH FILE window from (1).

3. Now RIGHT CLICK on the PROJECT ZOMBOID MSDOS BATCH FILE WINDOW (Ie the Black and White one) and select the SELECT ALL option (this should change the colour of the text on the screen from white to balck, and the background from back to white (only in the PROJECT ZOMBOID MSDOS window of course).

4. Now press CONTROL-C (ie hold down control and press C)

5. Now navigate across to the NOTEPAD window and right click on it and  select PASTE.

What should happen is that the text from the window should have been copied across to the notepad window.

If this does not work just repeat the process again as it should work fine. Just make sure you do not click on any other windows between steps 3 and 4.

Post the TEXT from notepad onto these forums, or let me know if there are any other issues.

Please do steps 1-5 carefully as it will be very difficult for me diagnose a problem from this end if you are messing the steps up.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>set path=C:\WINDOWS\syste

m32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;\Java\jre

7\bin;

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>"C:\Program Files\Java\jr

e7\bin\java" -server -noverify -XX:+UseParallelGC -XX:+DoEscapeAnalysis -XX:+Agg

ressiveOpts -XX:+TieredCompilation -XX:Tier2CompileThreshold=70000 -XX:CompileTh

reshold=1500  -Xms768m -Xmx1024m -XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3 -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=tru

e -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2d.d3d=false -Dsun.java2d.opengl=fa

lse -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.librar

y.path=./ -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.noerasebackground=true -Dsun.java2

d.d3d=false -Xms768m -Xmx768m -Dsun.java2d.opengl=false -Dsun.java2d.pmoffscreen

=false -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Djava.security.policy=applet.policy -cp

lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;./ zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState

Error: missing `server' JVM at `C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin\server\jvm.dll'.

Please install or use the JRE or JDK that contains these missing components.

C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\ProjectZomboid>PAUSE

Press any key to continue . . .

Terminate batch job (Y/N)?