A Decaying World

GodWaffle

Bit of a sudden one, just popped into my mind right now.  I was thinking that, as time goes by the world will become more and more apocalyptic, think about I Am Legend, with the lack of maintenance the roads and buildings would become overgrown, buildings would become more and more derelict, etc.  We already have the 'decay' system in place for zombies (I believe they get weaker and slower after some time), and also food rots.  I just think that as a very slow change this could be really cool.

I don't know how hard this would be to implement, but even something such as changing textures after a few months, then continuing to do this until we reach the 'overgrown derelict apocalypse worthy' stage, it would be pretty awesome.  

Just a quick one, let me know what you think :)

I agree that it would be a low priority thing, however I don't really think it would be too hard to do seeing as it's more of an aesthetic thing than anything else, creating some variations of textures to show the level of decay, however it wouldn't serve any purpose other than to remind you of how long you're been alive (let's say the highest level of decay would be at 2 years in-game) I don't think it should be to the point of buildings collapsing or anything, but just as a reminder of time passing and the end of civilization

Interesting idea, would take quite a long time for things to get as overgrown and the seasons would help keep it in check for a while. I think it would be cool if they had different tiles for different seasons (snowy tiles, leaves, etc) but again that's a late term goal imo.

I think it would be cool if they had different tiles for different seasons (snowy tiles, leaves, etc) but again that's a late term goal imo.

It's one of those things they've wanted to do for a very long time now. We'll likely see it one day.

Moved discussion of snow to http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2381-snow/

Please refer there for all of your winter-wonderland needs.

Good discussions on seasons, in general:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2242-seasons-affecting-both-players-and-zombies-in-a-different-way/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2366-seasonal-offerings-food-preservation/?

This might not be terribly hard to implement post 3D, actually. Give each tile a semi randomized timeframe and just have it be replaced with a new texture or overlay after.

That's great to hear! It's definitely not a required/gameplay-changing thing but I feel it would be more immersive heading into town a year or two into the game and having the place overgrown and run-down, it would make sense as we do have other changes that happen over time.  

But definitely a low-priority thing and as said above it should be done after seasons.

-GodWaffle