Blades

magnum2016

No doubt some (if not all) of these have already been suggesting but i just figured i would revive them.

Butterfly Knife: Capable of dealing slightly more damage than a kitchen knife and also have a faster attack speed. Also capable of practicing which would cure boredom.

Bowie Knife: A knife that deals a much stronger punch than the Kitchen Knife but has a slower attack speed.

Machete: (no doubt suggested) A very rare weapon that has very very high durability and damage.

Pocket Knife: A very common knife which is weaker than a kitchen knife but is very lightweight and if held by the appropriate handler and be deadly

I like the weapon suggestions in the OP, but they'd need to be extremely rare because lets face it, what's the first thing people are going to grab when something like a zombie apocalypse strikes? Weapons.

As for katanas, I'm fairly sure this was discussed in depth on the old forums. The only katanas that most people have are replicas that would shatter or snap if used in any way other than aesthetics.

I'm not a sure a pocket knife would actually be that effective against zombies. I doubt you could get one through a skull, not without some serious luck/force, and the blade's too small to decapitate. I've always thought the kitchen knife... ah, k-i-t-ch-en knife was verging on that too.

Real chef's knives are pretty impressive. Most pocket knives tend to snap due to folding, but fixed blade knives are also very common around here and are typically much more durable.

Machetes can be found in about every garage down south. I don't think they necessarily need to be rare, just balanced. Hacking weapons are the least effective means of dispatching a zombie (behind blunt and stab), but have more uses outside of combat- could be quicker to cut trees and things like that.

Real chef's knives are pretty impressive. Most pocket knives tend to snap due to folding, but fixed blade knives are also very common around here and are typically much more durable.

Machetes can be found in about every garage down south. I don't think they necessarily need to be rare, just balanced. Hacking weapons are the least effective means of dispatching a zombie (behind blunt and stab), but have more uses outside of combat- could be quicker to cut trees and things like that.

That said, I forgot about the fact that NPCs will soon be in the mix. Surely they work different to zombies in that they most definitely can feel pain, and can die from blood loss etc. A zombie wont be too bothered by the lack of an arm or so. 

Do the NPCs have their own damage/injury system, or do they work more like zombies still?

That said, I forgot about the fact that NPCs will soon be in the mix. Surely they work different to zombies in that they most definitely can feel pain, and can die from blood loss etc. A zombie wont be too bothered by the lack of an arm or so. 

Do the NPCs have their own damage/injury system, or do they work more like zombies still?

I'm not sure offhand. I think likely they will work much like zombies at first, but I'd much prefer an overhauled damage system for both the player and the npc's. In fact... I might just make a thread about that. Hang tight a minute or twenty XD