"Remain" with Box of.... instead of "open" and other box-ideas

King-Salomon

It would be really nice if (some) boxed items like "Box of nails" etc wouldn't be needed to be opend to use it (and maybe later re-box it if you found new nails to get the 100) were it makes sense - why not use the same system pills and water bottles etc already have - a "remain" counter and the items are automatical used from the box and the "remain" counter reduced.

This would also free up some space in the carpentry menue as  "open box XY" wouldn't be longer nessassary to show..

Also it would be nice to be able to "refil" the pills, boxes, etc (some like gas maybe with the "help" of addition items like a hopper or a hose/tube) like water bottles from  unboxed items or other boxes with less "remain"  (really strange to have 10 tubes of painkillers al nearly empty but not be able to get them all in 1 tube that would be nearly full)

also it would be nice to have items like "box of nails" etc not sorted with "box" but with "nails" so if it would be renamed "nail-box or "nails (box)" to have the box-items and the solo-items at the same place in the inventory it would be much better to find them (other in lategame when you only look at "box" maybe...)

nice to have would be that you need to find a "box" to box items in the first place - but that would be work best if you still have the possibility to "open" boxes you donÄ't need and refill them with nails, ammo etc (maybe with the help of a pen to know what's in the box)

Yes, "drainable" is the right coding term I guess :)

there are a lot of cool designs in PZ that are not used consequently were they are possible/realistic !

@Name1234 jep, I was swearing a lot today with the name-changing with cooking too .. a "salat xy" should stay a salat even if it becomes a "salat xyz"

Edited by King-Salomon

There's a bit of a problem when it comes to changing object types and maintaining save compaitilbity to prior versions: custom loading code need to be written for every altered object, or those objects cease to exist in legacy saves.

After some freakouts regarding the loss of canned food, for example, you can see why we might be hesitant to make these changes . . .

5 minutes ago, Butter Bot said:

There's a bit of a problem when it comes to changing object types and maintaining save compaitilbity to prior versions: custom loading code need to be written for every altered object, or those objects cease to exist in legacy saves.

After some freakouts regarding the loss of canned food, for example, you can see why we might be hesitant to make these changes . . .

yes, that I can understand - but I guess with the animation update in one of the next updates there will be a "save breaking update" in near future, so no better time than now to do all the save-breaking stuff I guess.

If I am wrong about the save-breaking update with the animations it is a problem indead :/

EDIT: on the other hand, even save-breaking is not a big deal anymore as steam allows you to keep the "old version" as a "beta" if the admins include it - so everyone who wants to play there savegame even when an update is uploaded can "roll back" to the save-compatible old-version"

Edited by King-Salomon

2 minutes ago, King-Salomon said:

yes, that I can understand - but I guess with the animation update in one of the next updates there will be a "save breaking update" in near future, so no better time than now to do all the save-breaking stuff I guess.

If I am wrong about the save-breaking update with the animations it is a problem indead :/

Yeah, animations shouldn't break anything. :D I mean, obviously it'll have to be done at some point -- a lot of stuff would make sense as drainable (or maybe even a new item type at some point), but it might not be quick.

Animations are not save-breaking.. wow.. .  can't wait :D

btw, @Butter Bot have you guys discussed about the possibility to add "old versions" as betas to prevent save-breakings? Would make your live much easier instead of being afraid about the save-breaking problem I guess but I am no dev so no idea if there are drawbacks with this...

Edited by King-Salomon

5 hours ago, King-Salomon said:

Animations are not save-breaking.. wow.. .  can't wait :D

btw, @Butter Bot have you guys discussed about the possibility to add "old versions" as betas to prevent save-breakings? Would make your live much easier instead of being afraid about the save-breaking problem I guess but I am no dev so no idea if there are drawbacks with this...

Yeah it's something I wanna do, will start from build 36 when goes to public i'll move current build 35 into an "old 35.26" version or something, will check with the team to be sure before :)