The game is laggin hard

AngeloVolando

Question

So the game started to be very laggy for me. I don't know if it has been since the "redrawn" of the Tiles (yhat 4x thing or sort of) and it's a new thing. I must admit I haven't played for a long time, but now I feel I want to play again. Has the game stopped working on low end pcs like mine? If so, it's really a shame since I bought this game thinking "well, its pixelated style shouldn't be a problem" and now it is. It goes laggy sometimes or "slowed" (yes, I think that's more accurate).

I need to add that I have checked that option of "disable high density textures" or something like that, and that my Pc is not that bad.

Also, may be some program or something that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance to everyone! (Though a dev reply would be nice! :3 ) 

6 answers to this question

Celerons only range betweeen 1.6 GHz and 2.4 GHz, from what I can recall. That already puts you below the minimum spec of 2.77 GHz. The G210 is around 8 years old and doesn't have enough RAM really to hold even the 1x textures.

Most I can recommend is that you turn down the various settings in Options and find something that works for you. Texture compression is mandatory; 1x textures would be ideal (but it's possible 1x textures might not always be around, considering it's hard to maintain and create assets for two separate sets).

Make sure there's no additional programs running while PZ is. You're stuck with two threads, so anything else will have an impact. Paradoxically, try disabling multi-core in Options, as well. Sometimes it doesn't work gracefully with dual core PCs. Maybe the recent update just changed a setting.

I run an easy co-op server, and after a little while, the game can start to lag, especially when going up against a horde, which can be scary. I made it so corpses disappear after 72 hours, which saves on memory, but the best method so far has been to get somewhere safe as soon as we start seeing it, then close down zomboid and restart. One of the biggest causes of lag is an excessive amount of zombies. There are a few ways around this. First, disable choppers. I don't do this, because I would hate to lose such an integral part of the survival experience, but if youve ever been near the mall when the chopper comes, you'd see just how laggy it can get. The second is to lower the amount of zombies. Personally, I always go "insane" with no respawn. I'm not sure how much much memory the respawn takes, but my settings are usually pretty good. The third, of course, is to kill all the zombies. Worst comes to worst, you can disable zombies completely and spend your days baking bread and arguing with the wife about what color carpet to put in the living room.

EDIT: Another thing I remember is that the more places I visited, the worse it would get. Your computer has to remember the contents of every single container you look in, whereas it doesn't even bother keeping a record of places you haven't been near. This hasn't been an issue for quite some time, not since I started clearing corpses.

Archived