Mondoid 16/09/13

Headshotkill

Besides, making fire stronger was already mentioned somewhere.

I want it now. 

Just like Enigma already told you in another thread: be lovely.

I'm not sure if you are trying to be funny or not, but you should reconsider your tone.

Shhh . . . he'd make good kindling.

...why does that sound like a rape threat? Cause I don't take too kindly to rape threats... 

Plus... it's kinda... not rape if... I like it.... >.>

Would be interesting to hear exactly which 1% that C++ reimplementation would cover, as in where the engine currently spends too much time. Drawing the scene perhaps?

<snip>all the stuff</snip>

Thank you Lemmy. I couldn't have imagined to get as in-depth answer as this. I have no further questions.

As an aside, I loved the old articles you did about issues with isometric development. If you ever have free time in your life again, I'm sure tons of people would love to read an article on your blog or Gamasutra or whever on all the challenges and solutions you guys have come across in developing an isometric game with your tech and skills.

Yeah, in my early days of game development (and writing custom engines to squeeze all the performance out I could) I thought Isometric would be the way to go to get simplicity and complexity together in one basket - Make something look really nice, with minimal effort.

With experience, I have learnt that in fact Isometric is not the way to go if you want to later include fancy effects like lighting and shadows in with your destructible/changeable environment and you are far better off doing it all in full 3D and making it appear isometric (if there's still a reason at the end of it all to use isometric).

I've just been working away on a general purpose graphics engine in OpenGLES to use for all sorts of small projects in the coming months, and it certainly seems that for performance's sake either top-down, or even full 3D (first or third person) performs better when you start getting objects all over the terrain that are/can change.

I've always thought it odd that TIS have persevered with trying to milk everything out of isometric right through this far in development. I would have cast it aside a long time ago and gone with a full 3D pseudo-isometric approach (though yes, I'm not limited by budget, existing assets, or a nagging paying customer base who just want the next advancement to be released as soon as possible)

You such a bunch of psycho... Everyone want to burn the wonderfull world Mash & Andy built :(

Bah....

Anyway, how to make stronger fire.... :

function newFire(fire)  fire:setLife(9999999); -- make the fire live longer  fire:setSpreadDelay(100); -- make the fire spread fasterendEvents.OnNewFire.Add(newFire);

Here you go.... Psycho. :D

You such a bunch of psycho... Everyone want to burn the wonderfull world Mash & Andy built :(

Bah....

function newFire(fire)  fire:setLife(9999999); -- make the fire live longer  fire:setSpreadDelay(100); -- make the fire spread fasterendEvents.OnNewFire.Add(newFire);

Even though I'm not a programmer these numbers look like they could roast my underpants!

Bah....

If only I knew where to put this, though with this I am 1-step closer to destroying what humanity has created! Mwahahahahaha!

Edit 1: Got it working!  

Edit 2: Also, how is the life calculated, and spread delay? Seconds, milliseconds?