Heporlathic

A lot of horror games have a little brightness/gamma bar image that you have to adjust til you don't see certain things. I think this would be a great alternative

With my suggestion of darker nights, I also had in mind to "dampen" "stupid" playing styles, like the thug living in the forest and the city mugger. I think it's horrible how those kinds are not affected by any harsh environmental conditions, they are just running around like marathon contenders. You could be sure that

those guys are playing with the gamma slider cranked all up.

I think part of the reason why this would be offputting is that in multiplayer you don't sleep. That means if you have no light source, you're literally sitting in the house doing nothing for hours. Of course then people could change the setting to have shorter nights, but personally I like the tradeoff of no sleep for less dark. In SP it may be nice though. (though I do remember when it was pitch black on my server once and I ran around for 20 minutes trying not to die but not being able to find a house because you can't FEEL anything like a doorknob or window because you're playing a game and not actually feeling around (sorry for the run on sentence))

I know that there are only candles and flashlights in the game until now, but if there were  torches (home made, made with some gasoline drenched rags), lanterns, and with the lighting update a portable battery connector for bulbs, then it would be different.

Even if they added more light sources to the game, IF no one had one, it would mean waiting the night out. Seeing that days can be set from 30mins+ that would mean around half an hour every hour would be spent sitting in the house doing nothing. This would be more noticable for newer players and I think it may turn them off the game. A gamma slider, an option in sandbox, or a small ring of vision would be okay I suppose, but I don't like the idea of pitch black nights in vanilla.

Even if they added more light sources to the game, IF no one had one, it would mean waiting the night out. Seeing that days can be set from 30mins+ that would mean around half an hour every hour would be spent sitting in the house doing nothing. This would be more noticable for newer players and I think it may turn them off the game. A gamma slider, an option in sandbox, or a small ring of vision would be okay I suppose, but I don't like the idea of pitch black nights in vanilla.

I can follow you there, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you have to wait, you mean overly careful players would wait the night out. And I think reading a good carpentry book and so on, managing your inventory, making plans and using the ham radio would be good night time activities too.

Right, some newer players are generally catious and careful, but other ones are intrigued by the atmosphere, realism and difficulty, just to mention it.

In reality: If it was nighttime and there were zombies outside, you would be suicidal to go out. Even with a light source.

So in conclusion I think, yes, the small light radius would work the best.

I'm not sure if light itself should attract zombies but it should definitely play a role in their visibility and how well they can see and spot you. To me they'd be attracted to motion more (I'm thinking similar to T-rex eyes from Jurassic Park here) so they'd spot your shadow too or say a light flickering or turning on and off/off and on.

Maybe a way to get around not being able to see but also not being able to feel in the gameworld is using vibration feedback? Though I'm not sure how that would work without a gamepad. Some sort of in-game prompt (sound? moodle?)

I'm not sure if light itself should attract zombies but it should definitely play a role in their visibility and how well they can see and spot you. To me they'd be attracted to motion more (I'm thinking similar to T-rex eyes from Jurassic Park here) so they'd spot your shadow too or say a light flickering or turning on and off/off and on.

Maybe a way to get around not being able to see but also not being able to feel in the gameworld is using vibration feedback? Though I'm not sure how that would work without a gamepad. Some sort of in-game prompt (sound? moodle?)

Oooh if I used a game pad (which I haven't since SNES) I think a rumbly thing when you hit a wall would be neat.