Pathing needs to be toned down

GigaCorp

Watching and understanding zombie behavior is perhaps the biggest survival trait there is in the game, even moreso than learning how to get food and water IMO.

I use a tactic very similar to EnigmaGrey's.  If I have a large group of zombies after me, I'll go completely through one building and I don't start thinking about hiding until I've broken all contact with the zombies behind me.  They tend to get caught up climbing through windows and things in the building I just ran through, or at worst trying to go around them; this gives me chance to go stealthy and sneak into another building further away.

When returning to my home base, I will never run straight to it if I'm being followed.  I cut off at an angle and make sure the zombies are following me, and then I keep going along that line until I'm sure I've lost contact with them before turning back towards the base.  The zombies will tend to keep heading in that direction of last contact - and if it's towards your hideout, that's the direction they will also go.