Sleeping in multiplayer?

retsaki

This is one of those areas where I think having NPCs would be beneficial to multiplayer. Got a group of them with you, they can patrol the house and keep it safe from most threats while you're logged off. Zombies? Kill them. Unrecognized player? Kill him. House fire? Put it out.

Any mechanic that would keep you protected during sleep could be greatly affected by having NPC helpers.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think longer days solely for online modes and logging out of the servers when you're sleeping seems like the best solution. At least that way you're getting more gameplay in between logging out for sleep. With the way the game works right now, simply doing away with sleep is kind of a bad solution if you ask me. The game gets so dark at night that it's almost impossible to do anything save just waiting around your safehouse for the sun to come up, in which case you might as well just be sleeping.

I like the idea of needing sleep, and I like the idea of being vulnerable when you sleep.  I don't like the idea of not doing anything ingame for a locked period of time.  I do like the idea of setting how long your character sleeps so you can go pee and grab a beer.

Another option is to have a Sleep Mode type mini-game go on while your character sleeps.  It would have to be something that tangentially benefited your character though, and not something so immersion breaking like a Tetris game or whatnot.  

Ghost Option Sleep Mini-Game

It's kinda hard to think of something, but what if when you slept you got to play a "ghost" version of yourself?  You couldn't be harmed and would only be visible to other "ghost" players.  You could also only talk to other "ghost" players and zombies would be invisible to you (sorry, no using ghosts as guards)..  You couldn't travel far from your body.  Any attacks on your prone and defenseless "rea" body caused you to immediately wake up and end "ghost" mode.  You couldn't pick up or use anything EXCEPT items you had in your main inventory at the time of sleep.  So you could dig some places for farming and plant seeds, water plants, craft certain items if you went to bed with the right tools.  You would be immune to all effects as a "ghost" so no getting bored.  You could see inside containers, just not pick anything up.  This would give the player something useful to do while sleeping.

well technically it wouldnt always be 10 mins, that was just a suggestion based on if u were fully exhausted. just being tired you mabye only sleep for 3-5 minutes or something, but i can definitely see how that would get annoying having to do it every single night.

• 1 month later...

As far as I see it the best options would either be some sort of watching your player sleep and being able to wake up on command so that per hour in game equates to some returned value of rest...

Another option would be to allow for 2 different instances run on a server being as if I fall asleep at night and my friend is awake he can play in the nighttime and see my character asleep and he wont be able to see me awake until he goes to sleep and joins my instance and vice versa for sleeping during night and going to day but only allow for two instances max we dont want people just sleeping 5 days ahead of their buddies

and you could say if your player dies in the past instance that you die and that your play time would be the equivalent of you dreaming meaning you could be woke up from your slumbers and lose the progress you had but at least be able to try and defend yourself... 

idk its complex but would be a fun bit of gameplay in my opinion

Another option is to have a Sleep Mode type mini-game go on while your character sleeps.  It would have to be something that tangentially benefited your character though, and not something so immersion breaking like a Tetris game or whatnot.  

Not something I feel fits the PZ spirit at allllll. Way too gamey.

Unless there was some zombie nightmare/dream mode :) if your character goes to bed panicked you have to fight hoardes of zombies in your dreams and if you die, you just wake up. if they went to bed happy then they have a dream about their childhood home with their pet or something :)

not really an actual suggestion really, just an idea that popped into my head, but it could be done well :) :) dream-muldraugh-map where Spiffo comes alive