Angry Trait

ValueOfGravity

I'm not sure if this has been suggested yet, but i suppose it wasn't since i can't find any topics about it.

I think most of us would be mad if a zombie scratched us, or something in the base malfunctioned. Same should go with our character. Basically, the more angry you get, the faster you will fire/swing your weapon and the harder you will hit.

I'll try to explain it with the in-game moodle system.

Rage Level 1: Fast swing, More damage, less accuracy.

Rage Level 2: Even faster swings, harder hits and about the same accuracy.

Rage Level 3: You start to get too angry. Your emotions block your mind and cannot think straight. Swings remain at the same speed and you apply even more damage. Accuracy is severly impaired.

Rage Level 4: You can barely aim. Complex thinking is completely out of your league. Your swing speed and damage remain unchanged.

Edit : NPCs could be intimidated by your ''rage'' and not negotiate with you. This can be a double-edged blade. NPCs will be intimidated by you, so they won't try to rob you, nor trust you.

Also, Traits that could make less or more prone to being angry could take place.

But that would make injuries completely obsolete. What's the point in getting injured if you aren't even going to be affected? You would basically perform exactly the same in combat no matter how hurt you are.

Also, regarding NPCs, that was the original intention of the angry trait, to reduce your positive interaction with NPCs.

But that would make injuries completely obsolete. What's the point in getting injured if you aren't even going to be affected? You would basically perform exactly the same in combat no matter how hurt you are.

Also, regarding NPCs, that was the original intention of the angry trait, to reduce your positive interaction with NPCs.

I'm not saying every wound should make you angry. If you had broken glass in your arm, you would mostly be more worried about removing it than using the angry moodle to your advantage.

For example, if NPCs were to insult or rob you, that would make you angry. It would make your character way more dependant on human interaction and other things.

Regarding human interaction, yes, about every moodle should take effect on it. However, i wanted to suggest the angry moodle because it's such a basic emotion in a human being and it's not yet implemented.

Also, maybe we can bring the Short Tempered trait back from the dead while we're at it.

Also, i pictured that the accuracy debuff was way bigger than the speed+damage buff. Yes, you deal more damage with melee weapons, but still, every person has a limit. No matter how pumped up you are in combat, eventually, your wounds overpass your rage, and the speed/damage buff becomes absolutely useless. Picture it as if it was a way to make escaping a horde a bit easier.

The anger moodle is already in the code, at least in Build 31 it is (haven't decompiled Build 32 as much yet).

I think that the developers are saving it for NPC interaction.

Anyways, for my two cents I think that anger should give you a slight speed and damage multiplier that increases with higher levels, but you also become stressed and tired (if you did a lot of moving and hitting during your fit of rage).

Or maybe it'll be a purely negative debuff that advances into rage. For increasing levels of anger, you'll become more and more stressed and unhappy. More and more actions will be blocked off(such as building, looting, etc) with each level, as some/most (I'm no statistician :P) people in real life don't think clearly when they're angry.

If the increase of anger levels happened in a short period, you go into a blind fit of rage. You can't sneak, eat, build, etc. it also rapidly stresses and tires you out, you can barely aim if you're using a ranged weapon, and the guard skill of whatever type of melee weapon you're holding temporarily goes down. In tradeoff for this, the adrenaline rush makes you momentarily not feel pain, you get a speed and damage boost, and your weapons have a bit more knockback.

The rage moodle does not last for long, and you are left with slight anger, slower speed and damage, a ton of tiredness, stress, and unhappiness, and your adrenaline rush fades away causing you to feel the pain of your wounds (but the adrenaline lasts longer if you have the Adrenaline Junkie/whatever it's called perk). This also would mean that the quick to anger trait wouldn't make rage OP, due to the negatives of the aftermath that would stack. I think that'd be a fair tradeoff for temporarily becoming a tank.

Your character will rarely become extremely angry, and even more rarely go into a fit of rage. Zombies wouldn't invoke any degree of anger unless if they attack and/or kill an NPC you have positive relations with (more on that later). Asshole NPCs would give you slight anger if they're just dicks in general, medium levels of anger if they lie to you, levels of anger if they betray you based on the level of relations you had with them (if they betrayed you and you were only acquaintances you would only be moderately pissed off, but if they were your ally you would be fucking furious), levels of anger if they attack an NPC you have a positive relationship with (again, you get angrier the closer the attacked NPC was to you), and five stages of grief if they kill a close one (severity of the debuffs for each stage would depend on how close they were to you), etc. For zombies, the levels of anger (and grief if applicable) based on the harming of an NPC you had positive relations with, would also apply.

As I briefly mentioned earlier, you will become angered and enraged much faster with the quick to anger trait, with the cost of more of the negatives caused by them.

And maybe, if/when NPCs are added, some moodles like stress could also be fleshed out more? For unhappiness, stress, tiredness, etc, they would all add to the likeliness of you having a mental breakdown (for negative traits that would make you break down quicker, the likeliness would be higher). When you have a mental breakdown, you go insane. You become more insane depending on the severity of the mental breakdown.

When you go insane, NPCs will be uncomfortable near you, and they'll be worried about you if you have a positive relationship with the NPC. The severity of the uncomfortableness and worried-ness would depend on how severe your insanity is.

And hey, on the subject of NPCs, why not make them have professions like your character can have? The rarity for an NPC to have a certain profession could be based off of how the real world does it. Just like in real life, the more training a profession requires, the more useful it'll be. People like psychiatrists could treat insanity, fitness instructors could boost your strength, carpenters could fortify and build bases, career burglars would be good for looting (though a majority of them would try to break in and rob you), etc.

This would also make NPCs more interesting, as the profession does not necessarily mean that they're good or bad. It'd be a bit of a gamble, as they could be useless, a valuable asset, or a formidable enemy.

For example, say you meet an NPC and he mentions he's a psychiatrist. Later, he asks you if you could do him a favor, and he'd join you if you were willing. You would have to judge if he's just a psychiatrist with no combat ability whatsoever that would be in your debt if you helped him out, or is he using his knowledge of human behaviour to fool you into trusting him so he could get you to retrieve something for him and then get his henchmen (whom he also tricked into being loyal/trusting to him) to ambush you on the way out? Could he be an honest guy, and be a valuable asset as a recruiter (again, using his knowledge of human behaviour) if recruited, or would the task not be real and he would stab you as you walked out the door? Or are you the traitor, and you trick him into being a close friend until you no longer need him and go to dispose of him, only to find he had the loyal trait (a new trait that would cause higher levels of anger if betrayed and have an easier time becoming friends with someone) and went into a fit of rage, grabbing the nearest weapon and surprising you with the level of combat expertise he had? Will he be a valuable ally to have with you as a negotiator for getting out of sticky situations, or will he be a complete hack and be completely worthless?

You get the point. If I babble on any longer, the consequences of me thinking up and typing out possibilities on the fly without ordering them properly will make this post be an even worse clusterfuck of ideas.

(Not sure if I should break my suggestion into a new topic, or post it here as a good chunk of my post is related to the suggestion at hand. Sorry if this should go into a new topic :P )