A "Tamper with" function

Dymarob

I was thinking about how some things require a certain profession (Electrician for generators and whatnot) and I was thinking "Hey, what about some kind of feature where you can screw around with certain objects that gives you a chance of figuring out how to use it......or break it?"

No offence, but the magazines that teach you this stuff are sometimes difficult to find.

I was thinking how a tamper with feature could help out with the dilemma.

With it, you could think "I checked all the nearby places and STILL couldn't find that book.

Should I just mess around with the generator to try to figure it out, or check out that building all the way across town?

If I mess around with it, then I might break it, but the books that would help me learn it might not even be across town and I'd waste my time."

What do you guys think?

I was thinking about how some things require a certain profession (Electrician for generators and whatnot) and I was thinking "Hey, what about some kind of feature where you can screw around with certain objects that gives you a chance of figuring out how to use it......or break it?"

No offence, but the magazines that teach you this stuff are sometimes difficult to find.

With it, you could think "I checked all the nearby places and STILL couldn't find that book.

Should I just mess around with the generator to try to figure it out, or check out that building all the way across town?

If I mess around with it, then I might break it, but the books that would help me learn it might not even be across town and I'd waste my time."

What do you guys think?

Love both your idea and profile pic =*

Edit: -

What do you guys think?

Love both your idea and profile pic =*

Edit: -

+1 to that and the ideas!

I like the idea, maybe a percentage based on the complexity of the device, success, failure and disaster. The more complicated the device, the greater the risks. A generator might burst into flames, or electrocute you, after all...

well it would be a bit realistic but risking you life for a little bit of experience isnt really worth it. Still getting a few burns or painful shocks would be a decent balance to this.

I like the idea, maybe a percentage based on the complexity of the device, success, failure and disaster. The more complicated the device, the greater the risks. A generator might burst into flames, or electrocute you, after all...

well it would be a bit realistic but risking you life for a little bit of experience isnt really worth it. Still getting a few burns or painful shocks would be a decent balance to this.

If you already have some knowledge or background, the risk is lessened. You learn things. As an example, when I was I kid, I popped open a TV once. I knew to unplug it, but I didn't know anything about the internal workings. It was a risk. A huge one. Now, with some background behind me, I know to be mindful of things like capacitors, and a couple of tricks to discharge electricity with reasonable levels of safety. 

It would be foolhardy indeed to just "play with" a generator or car engine to figure out how it worked. But if you start small, work your way up to the big equipment, you can build enough of a foundation to have a fighting chance of actually learning something.