Being in the military

cuddlepums

Being apart of the military  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this idea?

• Yes it is a good idea and should be in the game.
    • Maybe it has potential but some things need to be changed.
    • It is a good idea but should be made into a story not a job.
    • It is a good mod idea but should not be put into the vanilla game.
    • This is a terrible idea this should not be put into the game ever.
    • Its alright but maybe the devs can turn it into something better.
    • Why are we talking about this when we could be talking about cheese?

The idea: I think being in the military would be a really cool job or story, what I am suggesting is your character is currently inside the military trying to quarantine the outbreak with the military. I know more jobs is a yes in commonly suggested, i know more stories is also a yes, and i know military aid is a no. But this isn't really aid since your inside it, but being inside the military i personally think would be pretty fun.

How it will work: Well what I am thinking if it were a job you would start like normal except with a team of 3 other people, since more weapons is a yes i believe they will add an assault rifle, or at least a rifle is a weapon which you could start with, what I don't like about this is it is pretty overpowered, that why it is a possible mod idea which it most likely will turn out to be but you don't know if you don't try ^_^. I also believe that you should start with maybe a hazmat suit, or some military gear. Some possible spawn locations could be the police station, the hospital, or some sort of military outpost.

Why this idea: Well I think it would be really fun being apart of the military force trying to quarantine the outbreak, possibly investigating survivor activity the moving in with your team to take them out because they could be infected. Also experiencing the military lose the inevitable end sounds very fun to me, and if you are good enough you could be a remnant of them telling survivors your epic stories of adventure :D

The main point of the game is surviving, and In what they have said so far it seems like the military are going to be one of the more annoying npc groups.

And what he is saying is he wants to play as a member of this group :D Now that you have the in-game option roleplay as the bandit in Kate and baldspot (or any future NPC), I don't see why this couldn't be a thing. It could also be a kind of "easy mode" or "action mode", starting you out with better than average gear, but perhaps more immediate threat as well.

I added a poll so you can express your opinions there also.

And also being apart of the military does not change that this is a survival game, your right the main point is surviving but being inside the military could give you some really interesting quests. Also the military's job here is to quarantine the place so the government, the military, and the people not infected can survive. You being apart of some of those the goal is too survive, just because the military gives you objectives, quests, or missions does not change anything about the main goal of surviving just a side goal, like other npc's quests will be.

Yea, it could be cool. But they would be placed against a lot of zombies, so that they have a small chance of surviving. I think that would add to the feeling of glory if you survive :P Where as starting as a normal person you aren't in that much of a danger (starting in a safe house is what I ment by that) Playing as a soldier you'll be put up against a lot of zomboids.

And also being apart of the military does not change that this is a survival game, your right the main point is surviving but being inside the military could give you some really interesting quests. Also the military's job here is to quarantine the place so the government, the military, and the people not infected can survive. You being apart of some of those the goal is too survive, just because the military gives you objectives, quests, or missions does not change anything about the main goal of surviving just a side goal, like other npc's quests will be.

Stop right there! I can see the cool in it, but I don't think they should be quest like wow or anything else compared to that. I rather call them missions, you won't get anything out of it, but it's your duty. Now it would be fun to see what people would do, run away? go insane maybe? But I see the cool in objectives and such, I just don't think they should make it too much of a quest hub. (but I might have understood what you were trying to say, if so I'm very sorry  (fedora)  and I like your idea with some small things that would need to change etc. If they don't imply it the community might make a mod, maybe even a gamemode or something >w<!

The main point of the game is surviving, and In what they have said so far it seems like the military are going to be one of the more annoying npc groups.

And what he is saying is he wants to play as a member of this group :D Now that you have the in-game option roleplay as the bandit in Kate and baldspot (or any future NPC), I don't see why this couldn't be a thing. It could also be a kind of "easy mode" or "action mode", starting you out with better than average gear, but perhaps more immediate threat as well.

You don't get to play the role of the bandit, the scenario just plays out depending on how you play it. He is saying you start as a military officer. the don't start as a bandit, that is one of the many possible scenarios to happen depending on how you act. another npc could be the bandit way before you get their.

Stop right there! I can see the cool in it, but I don't think they should be quest like wow or anything else compared to that. I rather call them missions, you won't get anything out of it, but it's your duty. Now it would be fun to see what people would do, run away? go insane maybe? But I see the cool in objectives and such, I just don't think they should make it too much of a quest hub. (but I might have understood what you were trying to say, if so I'm very sorry  (fedora)  and I like your idea with some small things that would need to change etc. If they don't imply it the community might make a mod, maybe even a gamemode or something >w<!

It is not a quest like WoW there is a quest window for quests such as I remember in the demo Kate gives you a quest or objective to go to the neighbors house and get some food to eat once you do that you come back to the house and cook the soup you found, quest or objective is just and synonym for a task. Yes it is your duty to do it but you don't nessesarily have to and I guess if you don't do your object/quest you will be considered as a deserter and be shot on sight by the military and possibly your team.

Why aren't we discussing cheese at this moment again?

In all seriousness the purpose of the game is that you start out as just an average person. Your only quest, survival. Playing as a military officer with missions, teams, guns really stands apart from the main theme of project zomboid turning it into something else entirely. I would be more incline to see it maybe as a profession, however besides which I'm not keen on the idea at all.

Additionally I don't know how well this idea fall into 'military aid' however if you have military npc's running with you it could be construed that way. Since these 'team members' would be giving you support.

Why aren't we discussing cheese at this moment again?

In all seriousness the purpose of the game is that you start out as just an average person. Your only quest, survival. Playing as a military officer with missions, teams, guns really stands apart from the main theme of project zomboid turning it into something else entirely. I would be more incline to see it maybe as a profession, however besides which I'm not keen on the idea at all.

Additionally I don't know how well this idea fall into 'military aid' however if you have military npc's running with you it could be construed that way. Since these 'team members' would be giving you support.

I never meant you play as an officer, you are a soldier I guess an officer option would be nice. But being apart of the military does not change the goal to survive as I had said before it gives your side objectives that you may follow if you want too, sure you get a great advantage the military won't attack you unless you have done something to offend our hurt them, you have a team with 2-3 people, and start out with a gun. I admit that is some really overpowered starting power, but it does not have to be added to the vanilla game it could be added as a mod, or modified by the dev team. Being inside the military gives the player some very unique opportunities no other normal survivor has, I do not want this to be able to run and gun, shooting down zombies, destroying survivor communities, and blowing up buildings. I want this because the story opportunities are very unique. You and possibly your team can go through lots of shit during the outbreak, investigating lost teams, searching buildings for a bandit that killed one of your team, setting camps up and barricading roads trying to slow the zombies down, and listening to the radio hearing what objectives there are, and the panic of the other military squads/ teams meeting there inevitable doom. I played and bought this game for one reason and one reason only to survive a fun and true zombie apocalypse, seeing things that will scar my character for life, and fighting to survive with other survivors leaving a mark in the world, and I don't want to change that.

• 8 years later...

Canonically all active and reserve soldiers that were deployed in the region were assigned to contain the virus, but once the zombies started to move north towards Louisville the military was overrun. Maybe once NPCs are added there can be a scenario where you play as one of the soldiers who was assigned to guard the checkpoint heading up to Louisville and the scene starts right when the zombies broke through the gate and began to rain havoc in the survivor camps. You (the player) need to find a way to escape the chaos by either going south into Knox county or heading further north into Louisville (both are basically deserting your post) and than once you escape you need to try to survive as long as ya can.

EDIT: Wow, I didn’t realize that this post was from back in 2013. Well… Maybe they could add the scenario. It would be pretty cool

Edited by Moth Detective
Realization to how old this is