Save corrupted

Bens_Dream

Question

This is an in-development game, there will be bugs, including ones that eat save games. It is impossible to make sure this will never, ever happen in the future. The only thing I can think of that can help is keeping multiple backups of saves.

This takes it on the assumption that saves corrupt when they load, rather than when they save. The only way to prevent save corruption is to turn off autosaving on quit, and by adding a manual save function.

If saves are corrupted on saving, then making backups is pointless.

aren't u playing on the unstable test versions?

.16 have fucked up many saves for me.

I'm on the current Desura version.

This is an in-development game, there will be bugs, including ones that eat save games. It is impossible to make sure this will never, ever happen in the future. The only thing I can think of that can help is keeping multiple backups of saves.

This takes it on the assumption that saves corrupt when they load, rather than when they save. The only way to prevent save corruption is to turn off autosaving on quit, and by adding a manual save function.

It is not pointless because you'd only loose the progress you've made since the last backup.

It is not pointless because you'd only loose the progress you've made since the last backup.

...And if it was my first save on that profile, after 2 hours of playing?

Wow, such a welcoming support team. No wonder I've heard so many bad things about this game, I should have gone with my gut instinct and never bought it...

Wow wait, where were we not welcoming? We just laid out the facts to you. It's an Alpha game and sometimes Saves might get corrupted. I told you to make backups and obviously you didn't like that ... so my question is: What do you expect us to do? :)

Saying "You had bad luck" and shrugging it off is not the way a decent company should work.

You told me to make backups, but that's no use when my save file gets corrupted on my first save.

The only way I see myself not contacting Desura for a refund is if looks through my save file and finds the broken bit, then fixes it.

I love people with your attitude.

You bought an Alpha-Game which means it still is in an early phase of development ... now you want a refund because it doesn't work as flawless as a triple AAA game that has been in development for 6 years?

Besides that ... how far have you come in your savegame that the devs MUST take a look at your particular save to fix it. Why not start a new one? You will die soon enough.

We have a very supportive community, but tbh I'm not sure if we need someone like you.

The game itself works fine, WHEN IT WORKS. It works all the time, 60% of the time...

I'd come far enough to be annoyed by losing it all. And yes, that request still stands.

You claim to have a supportive community, but you talk down to me like I'm some sort of inferior being. Mixed messages, I believe.

The game itself works fine, WHEN IT WORKS. It works all the time, 60% of the time...

I'd come far enough to be annoyed by losing it all. And yes, that request still stands.

You claim to have a supportive community, but you talk down to me like I'm some sort of inferior being. Mixed messages, I believe.

I don't talk down to you like your an inferior being. I talk with you like I talk with all people with your attitude.

You come here and expect the whole dev team to jump on your case. We calmly explain you that your save can't be fixed - not to mention that you still play with a quite heavily outdated version of an alpha game - and all you do is insult us as a community? ;)

Good luck with your refund.

Oh and btw you are still playing with the OLD 2.9.9.8 ... what do you expect? That there are less bugs in earlier builds?

I said, I'm using the CURRENT Desura version now.

If you've had 2 hours of progress and you decided not to back up that save, even while playing the game, then yes:  It's bad luck.

Worse, it's luck that will strike us all eventually.

There is nothing to fix.

There is something to fix. The save corruption bug.

But fixing that bug won't fix your save, nor will it gurantee that there aren't other save bugs, if it's even the fault of  the program and not your system.

That's my point . . .

The game is in development -- saves get corrupted and we just have to move on.

But thank you for the file -- I passed it on to Romain.

From what you said earlier, it sounds like you started a game in an old version, and tried to load it into the current version? If so, then it's pretty much guaranteed that the load will not work (and might possibly have corrupted your save file).

Finally, a useful response. For that, I thank you. I'd read on Reddit that saves were meant to be backwards compatible, though apparently not.

Hello there,

I'm not quite sure sur .8 saves are compatible with the .10 (current Desura version) or .16 (current test build version).

We changed bunch of things, and by doing this sometimes somes saved games won't load, I'm still going to try your saved game to see if i can find a way to fix it.

Anyway, we're now trying to do our best to avoid that kind of stuff, so it shouldn't appears again, but sometimes you'll have to make a new game to benefits all the new things added (and we can"t do nothing to change that :D).

Again sorry buddy, I hope you still enjoy the game, and try a new game with the latest .16 version ! We have crawlers zombies ! :P

Cheers !

Little edit : We're also now make backup of saved before loading them into a new version, so if there's bug, you can still play your saved game from the previous version !

Hello there,

I'm not quite sure sur .8 saves are compatible with the .10 (current Desura version) or .16 (current test build version).

We changed bunch of things, and by doing this sometimes somes saved games won't load, I'm still going to try your saved game to see if i can find a way to fix it.

Anyway, we're now trying to do our best to avoid that kind of stuff, so it shouldn't appears again, but sometimes you'll have to make a new game to benefits all the new things added (and we can"t do nothing to change that :D).

Again sorry buddy, I hope you still enjoy the game, and try a new game with the latest .16 version ! We have crawlers zombies ! :P

Cheers !

Thanks, I appreciate that. It seems the devs on the forum are actually pretty friendly, though I feel a bit let down as to how I was treated by the moderators.

Is .16 the current Desura version?

From what you said earlier, it sounds like you started a game in an old version, and tried to load it into the current version? If so, then it's pretty much guaranteed that the load will not work (and might possibly have corrupted your save file).

Finally, a useful response. For that, I thank you. I'd read on Reddit that saves were meant to be backwards compatible, though apparently not.

But, you've also said that you tried using the save in the version of the game it was originally from, with the same result?

Is .16 the current Desura version?

.10 is. 16 is the current forum release.

Haha, we're all a bunch of cool guy... Enigma haven't got enough meat today, so he can be angry... :P

For the version nope, the current Desura (we call that a stable release) is the .10.

The .16 is the current test build, so it can have some bugs compared to the Desura one, for now we're running in invisible walls, not a big deal tho.

And the .17 is in internal test, so it should be out soon(ish) :D

Archived