Looking for good RPG's. Any recommendations?

Kuukrow

So let me start off by saying I've played all of the obvious ones, which includes (but is not necessary limited to):

- All Persona Games released in English

- All Final Fantasy Games released (or patched like FF Type 0) in English

- Tales of Graces

- Tales of the Abyss

- Tales of Vesperia

- All of The Elder Scrolls games

- Fable I, II, & III

- Dark Souls I & II 

- Demon Souls

- All Bioshock Games

- Fallout I, II, & III

- Fallout New Vegas

- Wasteland

- NEO Scavenger

- All Kingdom Hearts Games released in English

- Kingdoms of Amalur

- Dragon Age: Origins, II, & Inquisition

- Mass Effect I, II & III (And all endings in all games. It took so many hours of play T_T)

That's all that I can think of at the moment. I'm running out of stuff to play and could really use some help lol. All the better if it also happens to be on steam!

Here's a list of what has already been suggested (Or what I've thought of that I haven't played but plan to).

- Wasteland II

- Baldur's Gate I & II (Purchased)

- Planescape: Torment (Purchased)

- Darkwood

- Icewind Dale (Purchased)

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic I & II

- Divinity: Original Sin

- Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut

- Dragon Quest
- Star Control II AKA Ur-Quan Masters

- The Witcher Series

- Jagged Alliance 2

- Arcanum

- Warlords Battlecry 3

- Sacrifice

Freedom Force and Freedom Force Versus the Third Reich

- Mechcommander

Might and Magic 6-8

Alpha Protocol

- Any Obsidian Game (lol)

There's still ~30 minutes left in the GOG sale, so the D&D bundle might be a good choice: http://www.gog.com/promo/big_winter_hasbro_bundle_041214

Baldur's Gate II (you can safely skip the first one) and Planescape: Torment are the standouts in that list (BG2 is miles ahead gameplay-wise, but PS:T has the better story). Icewind Dale is also good if you like combat.

There are Enhanced Editions available for the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games, but they are more expensive and many mods won't work with them. 90% of what you'd want from the EE can be obtained through the widescreen mod and the unofficial fixpacks (found at http://www.gibberlings3.net/ - click on 'Tweaks and Fixes' at the top, or 'Tools' for the Widescreen mod).

The Term "RPG" is used almost as loosely nowadays as "Action-Adventure" but considering I see TES 5, Dark Souls, and the Bioshock franchise, I'll take it you mean anything with numbers and lots of customization.

First thing that came to mind was the Fallout Franchise. It's a lot like Skyrim but with mutated creatures and a nuclear wasteland. Lots of character and stat building. Either Fallout 3 or New Vegas would do (I preferred New Vegas, but the majority seemed to like 3 better). The whole damn Fallout franchise usually goes on sale for like $5.

I've got a few others in mind, but idk wether you mean RPGs in the style of the FF games, or RPGs as in it has stats and character customization, my forte is FPS personally.

The Term "RPG" is used almost as loosely nowadays as "Action-Adventure" but considering I see TES 5, Dark Souls, and the Bioshock franchise, I'll take it you mean anything with numbers and lots of customization..

Not gonna lie, I take a bit of offense to that as that is not entirely correct. 

Beyond that, if you happen to take a look at the list of what I've played, I enjoy both types of RPG's. I have also played the Fallout games already, adding that to the list.

There's still ~30 minutes left in the GOG sale, so the D&D bundle might be a good choice: http://www.gog.com/promo/big_winter_hasbro_bundle_041214

Baldur's Gate II (you can safely skip the first one) and Planescape: Torment are the standouts in that list (BG2 is miles ahead gameplay-wise, but PS:T has the better story). Icewind Dale is also good if you like combat.

Not gonna lie, I actually immediately bought the bundle. Already downloading Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment & Icewind Dale.

NEO Scavenger and Darkwood are pretty gnarlicious!

I'll check out Darkwood, I already have NEO Scavenger XD I'm horrible at it though.

The two Knights of the Old Republic games are also good (Bioware/Obsidian at their prime). Gameplay is a bit simplistic compared to most of the games you've listed, though. You'll want the Restored Content mod for the second game: http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-sith-lords-restored-content-mod-tslrcm

Divinity: Original Sin and Shadowrun: Dragonfall Directors Cut are some good modern RPGS styled after the classics.

Not gonna lie, I actually immediately bought the bundle. Already downloading Baldur's Gate II, Planescape: Torment & Icewind Dale.

Just checking to make sure you saw my edit regarding mods. For a first playthrough I'd say stick with the widescreen mod and fixpacks (core fixes only until you know the system).

Just checking to make sure you saw my edit regarding mods. For a first playthrough I'd say stick with the widescreen mod and fixpacks (core fixes only until you know the system).

Definitely saw the edit :D I'll take a look at the other games as well as adding them to the suggested list. I think you and me are gonna get along swimmingly X3

The Term "RPG" is used almost as loosely nowadays as "Action-Adventure" but considering I see TES 5, Dark Souls, and the Bioshock franchise, I'll take it you mean anything with numbers and lots of customization..

I don't think any offense was intended. That's not how I read it anyway.

I played through Kingdoms of Amalur not long ago. Quite enjoyed that and had hours and hours of gameplay to it.

Not my cup of tea personally, but if you like JRPG's then the Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest games are popular with my missus (who also likes FF and Persona)

EDIT - Double post

Sorry, cobbled that post together when I saw 3 people respond while I was typing, so I rushed it a bit. I tend to take genre names too literally. Heck, a Roleplaying Game is basically any videogame if you just look at the title of the genre. I was just a bit confused on your definition of RPG when I saw Bioshock and Skyrim along with FF, so I just assumed you took the term rather loosely.

EDIT: Ewok beat me to my own explanation, I type way too slow for the internet...

Sorry, cobbled that post together when I saw 3 people respond while I was typing, so I rushed it a bit. I tend to take genre names too literally. Heck, a Roleplaying Game is basically any videogame if you just look at the title of the genre. I was just a bit confused on your definition of RPG when I saw Bioshock and Skyrim along with FF, so I just assumed you took the term rather loosely.

EDIT: Ewok beat me to my own explanation, I type way too slow for the internet...

It's alright. I apologize for getting a bit miffed about it. I suppose all things considered I do use the term rather loosely, but most of the time, the games themselves also list the term. Thats usually what I go by! 

I played through Kingdoms of Amalur not long ago. Quite enjoyed that and had hours and hours of gameplay to it.

Not my cup of tea personally, but if you like JRPG's then the Kingdom Hearts and Dragon Quest games are popular with my missus (who also likes FF and Persona)

I don't know how I could forget Kingdoms of Amalur & Kingdom Hearts. I'm so silly. As for Dragon Quest, I've heard such varying things about them, I'm a little hesitant about picking them up. The jury's still out on it, however, so I'll add it to the list.

[Edited because where the heck did I get useless from loosely?]

If everything on there hasn't already been suggested I'll throw my steam library (genre relevant) in here, I'm currently not at home however so it'll have to wait an hour or two. Maybe three.

Are roguelikes/roguelites accepted on your list?

EDIT:

For the Dragon Quest games I would really only be able to recommend Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the cursed king.. I can't really say it's on PC, however.

If everything on there hasn't already been suggested I'll throw my steam library (genre relevant) in here, I'm currently not at home however so it'll have to wait an hour or two. Maybe three.

Are roguelikes/roguelites accepted on your list?

EDIT:

For the Dragon Quest games I would really only be able to recommend Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the cursed king.. I can't really say it's on PC, however.

I do enjoy Roguelike/lites, though wouldn't the forum title be misleading at that point? XD Also, I have a good number of them already, so if you do want to throw in some be aware that I may already have them/ have played them XD

funny that you aint listing dragon age I/mass effect 1-3 games - chewable material. Also there's The RPG of all times - star control 2, released free as Ur Quan Maters. Any RPG gamer is a hopeless virgin till he's played Star Control )

OMG You're right about Dragon Age & Mass Effect! Holy crap. I totally have played those. Wow, I forget games a lot I guess XD 

As for Star Control 2, I'll look into it.

I also have a spare key for the Witcher 2 I received from a GOG promo a few weeks back. It's a good game, but fair warning it definitely merits its M rating (the contents are about as explicit as a show like Game of Thrones). Let me know if you'd want it.

I do want it, but I don't want to take that from someone who might be more deserving. I keep forgetting to buy it, but I've heard such good things about it. Also, game ratings aren't a worry for me. 

Funny, I've heard the same thing about allot of RPGs..

Don't take my post too seriously. Star Control 2 to a modern gamer is what ironseed was to me, and ironseed to a modern gamer is an entity of alien origin and obscure cognitive processes. Or simply said - ancient junk.

I agree that Star Control 2 is awesome (and free). Unfortunately it's also incredibly frustrating; there's tons of critical information dropped as vague hints in blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes, and there's no quest journal so you have to keep your own notes. Plus, there's a timer in the background (an ongoing galactic war) that's gradually removing game content until you fail. You're almost guaranteed to hit a brick wall the first time you play, and the background war is extremely frustrating for completionists.

It's one of those games that's better the second time you play it, once you actually have a clue as to what the hell you're supposed to be doing. :)

I agree that Star Control 2 is awesome (and free). Unfortunately it's also incredibly frustrating; there's tons of critical information dropped as vague hints in blink-and-you'll-miss-it scenes, and there's no quest journal so you have to keep your own notes. Plus, there's a timer in the background (an ongoing galactic war) that's gradually removing game content until you fail. You're almost guaranteed to hit a brick wall the first time you play, and the background war is extremely frustrating for completionists.

It's one of those games that's better the second time you play it, once you actually have a clue as to what the hell you're supposed to be doing. :)

Well, it seems to me that it has a Dwarf Fortress brand of "Fun." I'm all for challenges :D I'm actually looking into it now.

I'm amazed nobody has suggested world of warcraft. Best rpg of all time. Lol has the world gone crazy

If this was 2004-2010 maybe... but either way mmorpgs are different than rpgs, as one has offline play.

OP try out Shadowrun Dragonfall, It was pleasantly well done if not a bit short.

Archived