Best Dwarf Fortress Death

Avenger

My best Dwarf Fortress death was actually I think the death of my fortress. It was one of the first fortresses I had ever made. I dug too deep and found out a legendary spider was living in the depths. I didn't find out, unfortunately, until most of my fort had died. That spider still, to this day, occupies my fort. T_T

My best Dwarf Fortress death was actually I think the death of my fortress. It was one of the first fortresses I had ever made. I dug too deep and found out a legendary spider was living in the depths. I didn't find out, unfortunately, until most of my fort had died. That spider still, to this day, occupies my fort. T_T

You guys/gals are really making me want to try out Dwarf Fortress. But the learning curve looks so steep. -_-

Learning curve is a bitch but it is quite fun.

It's been a really long time since I've played, but I seem to recall losing a whole fortress because I accidentally sold something wooden to an Elf caravan, pissed them off, started a huge brawl, and by the time I'd driven them out of my completely passivist stronghold it was too late- tantrum spiral to the end.

You guys/gals are really making me want to try out Dwarf Fortress. But the learning curve looks so steep.  -_-

The learning curve really is quite painful, but once you get into it DF is a very rewarding experience.

I remember my first Tantrum Spiral. I only had fourteen dwarves, so it was really more of a Tantrum Curve but still... My first immigrant wave had shown up, a husband and wife and their five children, but had the misfortune of arriving on the other side of a river and I had no idea how to build bridges. It ended up being a few in-game months before I could build the bridge to bring them over (they had been surviving on gathered plants and fresh water from the river). Without the alcohol and other creature comforts my fortress would have provided, the father went berserk and started slaughtering his family. As my luck would have it, he was also a trained Axedwarf and had brought his own weapon so when I moved my sword dwarf in to fight he got slaughtered and killed half my fort.

I eventually was able to put him down, but with half my fort dead everyone else soon fell into the routine of regular tantrums and insanity and the fort was lost.

Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by posting this, but you can actually get the most updated pack from this link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 Just to make it a little easier for anyone looking to pick up the game.

I was able to pick it up without using any of that stuff. I might be a little bit of a masochist.

I am so impressed. I can barely stand to look at the game without the Phoebus pack, mainly because the original ASCII hurts my eyes.

Not sure if I'm breaking any rules by posting this, but you can actually get the most updated pack from this link: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7622 Just to make it a little easier for anyone looking to pick up the game.

I was able to pick it up without using any of that stuff. I might be a little bit of a masochist.

I am so impressed. I can barely stand to look at the game without the Phoebus pack, mainly because the original ASCII hurts my eyes.

Once I get used to the ASCII art I couldn't stand seeing anything else. My greatest mistake was trying out various tile sets AFTER I'd learned to play the game. By then it was too late and I'd grown accustomed to the ASCII.

It's free and you can get it from bay12

(Devs site)

I love it in ASCII, cba for noob packs or therapist

Alrighty, I'l download it and see how much time it takes for me to get my throat slashed...

*eek*

...the father went berserk and started slaughtering his family.

You just sold a copy of this game.

I suppose i'll get one as well.... 

Count me in too.

Yeah, the quick start guide on the wiki is essential material. Teaches you all the basics of fort management. Helped me pick up the game very quickly, though I still ended up going through a whole lot of forts.

Tip: don't start near a necromancer's tower or in the evil biomes. You will die swiftly and horribly.

I remember the first time I decided I wanted to put a fort near a necromancer's tower. I was experienced and thought I could handle it. There was even a funny moment when the goblin's laid siege to my fort at the same time the necromancer showed up with his army. Watching them fight was awesome as it was brutal. The necromancer's army of undead swiftly tore into the hapless goblin fools. I figured I'd be smart and take advantage of the chaos long enough to lead my best dwarves in to assassinate the necromancer so my forces could mop up what was left. That ended up being the first in a long line of mistakes.

Long story short, after the necromancer's army had killed ninety percent of my fortress, I was finally able to wall the undead off and seal what was left of my people in the relative safety of the lowermost levels of my fort. But in the process I had abandoned all of my farms and livestock and had no way to make food. The only option was to lead my starving people to the underground caverns where we would find food aplenty amongst the moss and cave creatures. For a time this worked out. Fish and water from the subterranean lakes kept us fed as our only remaining hunters slew the cave creatures and brought them back to our encampment. The rest of the dwarves gathered the cave shrubs and we were just setting up our first farm and brewery still when the Forgotten Beast showed up...

Just downloaded the latest update for DF, gonna try it out. Toady has been rapid fire with updates lately. He's released 19 updates in the past month or two. That's unusual for him... He usually likes to program for a year or so and then release the changes all at once.

He's taking a leaf from current industry practices as it seems to be generally accepted to do little and often rather than nothing-nothing-nothing-bam completely overhaul the game and flood tons of new features into the game style updates.

The new version is quite good although there was a funny bug for awhile of Dwarves getting stuck in trees. Sadly you couldn't lure them down with a saucer of beer or ale.

Archived