Building With Logs

migulao

Since nails will be scarce in the late game, I wanted to be able to use logs to craft, to remove the need to use nails.

As you may know, each log equals 3 planks if sawed, but because you are using logs and not planks, well, Il show an example:

As stated before, a log equals 3 planks, so naturally, it would require only 1 log, right?

Well, no, there has to be a disanvantage, since you don't need to use nails, the con is, you will need to use as many logs as you would need planks, so it would need more time to cut trees down:

A wall: Requires 3 Planks + 3 Nails

Requires 3 Logs

You'd still need some way to bind the logs together. In addition to using logs you should be able to craft wooden pegs. I think log cabins were constructed by digging out holes at the ends off a log into which a peg was stuck. Half of the peg sticks into the first log, the other half would sticking into the log above it. I like the log idea; it's a simple, realistic concept.

I like the idea of being able to use logs to build, especially when you can't find the saw, but you'd still need something to bind like what was previously stated.  I think it would be cool to have the option to use rope to bind though.

I rather use pegs.

Indeed, dowels would do the trick quite nicely. That said, in many countries there are highlanders who build their log houses without any nails / dowels whatsoever. How is that possible ?

Simplifying, the process goes like this:

The logs have their ends cut in such a way as to form a "patchwork", which holds them together (typically in a rectangular / square pattern). The top of each layer is then flattened and smeared with mud (to act as the binding agent upon drying), onto which the next layer of logs is added. The roof depends on culture, but once again, a "patchwork" approach allows logs to be 'locked' in place, across the last layer of wall-logs, forming the scaffold for the roof. In some cases, the corners of the house may be further reinforced by digging a pit and placing a log upright into it, to act as a bracer for the layers.

For an impromtu resource on building without nails, look here

You'd still need some way to bind the logs together. In addition to using logs you should be able to craft wooden pegs. I think log cabins were constructed by digging out holes at the ends off a log into which a peg was stuck. Half of the peg sticks into the first log, the other half would sticking into the log above it. I like the log idea; it's a simple, realistic concept.

I don't think you would need a way to bind the logs together. A simple enough notch can be taken out of each log with the axe to create a joint between the logs.

Check out this link to see some diagrams and instructions on building a log cabin: http://outlands.tripod.com/farm/logcabin.htm

Some railroad spikes that I harvested from the railyard or tracks could def be useful though!

I thought about the notch technique but I wasn't sure how to incorporate that into the game. I guess the devs could just add that as an option in the build queue. I think rope would work for certain features, too. Maybe for draw bridges. But you'd still need to drive the logs into the ground for a wall like a pallisade. And pegs would add durability, as well. But definitely include the notches.

It's a nice idea.

Taking your idea of a log wall further, it should at least be possible to build a Palisade Wall using logs. It would require no special knowledge to build such a structure. That way your example of using 3 logs for 1 segement would make a lot of sense.

Something like this:

palisade.jpg

I think rope would work for certain features, too. Maybe for draw bridges. But you'd still need to drive the logs into the ground for a wall like a pallisade. And pegs would add durability, as well. But definitely include the notches.

I would go with steel chain - should be in abundance (particularly around the logging co.), while sufficiently strong (thick) rope might be unavailable.

Actually, no need to drive thre logs into the ground - dig a pit and put them in - might require 'a bit' of strength to achieve though.

Taking your idea of a log wall further, it should at least be possible to build a Palisade Wall using logs. It would require no special knowledge to build such a structure.

Essentially, yes, though if it were to keep out zeds, you might want to have a bit of a support from the inside, to avoid it collapsing, especially when the ground gets soft after prolonged rainfall...

PS: Also post 200, yay !

Im just going to say this, I see alot of people here saying we can use ropes and steel chains to buld them, but the point of this whole thread was to remove the things that would eventually run out, in this case, nails.

Also, I meant this thread to not be only walls, but furniture, and stairs, and water collecting barrels (although im not sure if the barrels would still need garbage bags ).

Here's the thing, though.  In a real zombie apocalypse that claims 98% of the population, you would die of old age before you ran out of nails.  The key would entail becoming proficient at scavenging nails from existing furniture and structures.  Because of this I hope we get a "Scavenger" skill at some point. Equip crowbar, right click house wall, select "Scavenge". Wall disappears (like it does with sledgehammer) and a few resources spawn. Some nails, planks, debris.

But I agree that there should be alternatives when nails are gone. I think logs could provide different fence types depending upon the level of carpentry skill.  Split rail fence would be sufficient to keep large domestic animals penned in.  Palisades would be a next level up with Ha-ha fence walls being the most difficult to construct.

I'd like to see the inclusion of more building materials too. Cement of course.  Bricks could be made with a kiln and clay source.  Wattle could be used if straw was introduced. Wrought iron fences could be scavenged.  We already have barbed wire available, but chain link could be added.