Handloading/Reloading - Make your own ammo

Rausheim

One thing for the sake of continuity, would be to reload empty brass.

It would require the following items;

Reloading bench. Should be a permanent thing in someones house.

Handloading set. These are for single calibers and has the die sets "incorporated".

Die set for each caliber. (This is the parts you use to actually make the complete cartridge. Re-size and remove used primer with a sizing/decapping die, you flench (open) the emtpy brass a bit with a expander, usually only for handguns, and finally the seater die which you press the bullet into).

Powders. Irl there are literally hundreds if not thousands of different powders, but for the sake of simplicity, one powder for rifles and one powder for pistols.

Primers. There should be 4 types, small pistol (9mm, 357 and such), large pistol (.44mag, .45acp), small rifle (.223 etc) and large rifle (308 etc)

Bullets. In different calibers.

All this should be "unlimited" in a gun shop. A pack of primers hold 100pcs and a large pack contain 1000pcs. Bullets typically come in 100, 500 and 1000. Powders come in 0,5kgs and 1kgs and larger. Irl a box of powder take some time spending. In a fast burning powder like VV N320 I reload using 4,6 grain in each cartridge and 1 gram is like 15 grain or such, so yeah, one box would give a lot of ammo.

In the game when firing a weapon would drop a empty brass on the ground. Players would be able to pick it up.

All this should be "unlimited" in a gun shop. 

Sounds like a ammo spring which floods the streets with bullets if you don't close the faucet :-)

Primers. There should be 4 types, small pistol (9mm, 357 and such), large pistol (.44mag, .45acp), small rifle (.223 etc) and large rifle (308 etc)

By now we have two kinds of guns. Providing 4 types of ammunition seems for me a little bit over the top..

Here is my serious answer: 

I dont think ammunition is supposed to be endless and though only for special purposes than daily routine gunning.

My unnecessary comment:

Usually I have about 200 pistol and 300 shotgun shells lie around ( or is it said lying around?), which I think is pretty much enough to shoot anything that doesn't approve your construction skills.

First and foremost, let me say thanks for posting a suggestion.  It is what this sub-forum is all about!  I love reading peoples different ideas for making a great game better.

I understand where everyone wants to go all guns ablazing against hordes of zombies, it is a lot of fun.  There are also some detailed mods coming out adding tons of new guns and ammo.  Here is the issue in my mind: With guns, zombies are not scary.

So now you are decked out with your crossed bandoliers, with a guitar case full of guns, a reloading table, and a quick trigger finger.  What is there to fear?  How can mindless shambling freaks even come close to an unstoppable gunman with unlimited ammo?

If this was arcade-y game like L4D or what have you, then there is no issue with the idea of a walking armory.  But when you have a Apoc/Zombie survival simulator, where zombies/hordes are meant to be feared and handled with care, where your only weapon is some crappy 5 iron you found in someone shed, finding a single gun or clip is a reason to party.  You know for a fact that gun and clip, while not killing everything in sight, might save you in a pinch from getting disemboweled from an irate neighbor with poor hygiene.  Who knows if/when you will find any more ammo for it, each shot is a precious thing.

Of course it is just my opinion, and I could be wrong, but for me personally, PZ is about the nerve racking decisions, about the lack of defense, about vulnerability in a world that is dying. Having ammo on demand for a pile of guns seems to go in the opposite direction of that idea.  Some games are made for shooting til you hear the click, but for me this game isn't that.

I wouldn't be opposed to being able to make your own ammo, but if you did there'd have to be a serious limitation to it to keep the game balanced. Ingredients are rare and hard to work with. Lack of skill causes a shoddy product that might misfire or explode with enough force to break the gun and hurt you.

Seriously, most people wouldn't even know how to do this kind of thing, much less do it properly. Any attempt at making new ammo, by its very nature, needs to be a long and arduous process.

It should require a high "Aiming" skill in order to be safe to use, as if a n00b attempt to handload.... Well, let's say that most cases of barrels exploding and people getting serious injured, even killed, are due to no idea of what they're doing when handloading.

There should be a .high chance of destroying the gun and injuring the player if reloading at low skills. Would only be safe at level 5.