Create own Tilesets [2Brain's tutorial]

Doublebrain

Create own sprites

I will just cover some basic stuff here. But I think if you got all the basics you can reach the “advanced” status by yourself very easy.

That’s something you should always remember: to do advanced stuff you just need practice. After creating a bunch of basic chairs, tables and doors you can start doing completely new stuff like machinery for factories or objects with round surfaces.

How to start:

First of all you need a program where you can edit PNG-files.

Some free programs you can use:

GIMP

Paint.NET (That’s what I use)

Project Dogwaffle

If you haven’t downloaded the Project Zomboid Mapping Tools already I recommend you to download them so you can easily access to the standard PZ tiles.

The tiles are in the “Tiles” folder.

Looking at sprites:

Now the best thing you do is to open a tileset. I will open the tileset for chairs because they are very simple and easy to edit.

15887lg.png

I opened the file with Paint.NET

t0jhfl.png

Cut out a basic chair so you can work with it.

149quex.png

Sprites are usualy 64x128 pixel.

I have no idea how I should explain this in English... but I guess you get what I want to tell you with the graphic. ;)

293drbc.png

Try to create this very basic cuboid. Do some small ones, some big ones. All kind of shapes. It will help you. Also its a good thing to do it just with the pencil. No copy&paste or other tools. It will help you to get used to the pencil, the tool you will use 99% of your time when doing sprites.

289y6ug.png

Create a very bacis chair:

When you start doing own sprites its good to follow these steps to get a good result. When you get advanced you can skip most of these steps.

First of all we create a new 64x128 sheet and paint an isometric square on it like this:

5x0lqf.png

Now a isometric cuboid about the size we want our sprite

wjyrzk.png

Change the cuboid step by step to create a shape that looks like a chair

2qa2u5g.png

1038mly.png

Add some color

dea16v.png

And some first details

2qiw8.png

If your chair looks like this at the end you did pretty good. There is a lack of highlights and good shadows on this chair but for now its fine.

313m4v5.png

Some tips:

If you want to create objects with round surfaces its good to use the standard sprites  as a template. For example in the indutry_02 tileset.

11rrlo2.png

Remove everything you dont need

2w6f2tx.png

Have a nice round surface!

30s7o8x.png

That's very interesting! Is anyone starting from 3d models to have the sprites? Personally, i take much much less time in creating a 3d than a low pixel sprite. if there's any way to convert them it would be the best!

Check this: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/6312-custom-tilesets-and-fences-for-pz-map-editor/ I tried it and it worked great. I'm just shitty at doing 3D so I prefer hand drawing. :D

That's very interesting! Is anyone starting from 3d models to have the sprites? Personally, i take much much less time in creating a 3d than a low pixel sprite. if there's any way to convert them it would be the best!

Yea mostly. You can see a tutorial about that right here. But they usualy lack in detail and don't realy fit the style of the standard PZ tiles.

Edit:

Damn got ninja'd by Suomiboi! :mad: