So today I went to re-enroll at college..

Kitt Frostpaws

So as the title suggests, today I went to college to re-enroll (A level 3 Games Development & Design Course) and I was accepted in, didn't even need an interview! (Thank god the last one took two hours.) and I was posting this here wondering if anybody had any advice or tips for going into a course of this kind of branch? From what I'm aware we'll be using Unity, any advice on that?

No advice.

Just the best wishes!

Unity is where it's at from what I hear. Friend of mine mentioned the Unity community is awesome and quite helpful. Not sure if he's speaking generally or just a forum he frequents.

When he started a docent sent him this link:

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/12/50-tips-for-working-with-unity-best-practices/

In his case, he was pretty behind 90% of the other peeps, he said. They had some experience before they started the courses. MIght want to dig your head in beforehand so see if it clicks with you.

Did you have a fiddle with it so far or are you starting from zero?

No advice.

Just the best wishes!

Unity is where it's at from what I hear. Friend of mine mentioned the Unity community is awesome and quite helpful. Not sure if he's speaking generally or just a forum he frequents.

When he started a docent sent him this link:

http://devmag.org.za/2012/07/12/50-tips-for-working-with-unity-best-practices/

In his case, he was pretty behind 90% of the other peeps, he said. They had some experience before they started the courses. MIght want to dig your head in beforehand.

Thanks, from what I've heard the first months-year (it's a two year course, one year on-campus and the second on a Uni site) is just what the industry is like, jobs available in it and the workings of the market (Graphic design has already taught me about the life-cycle of a product, so that may be an advantage there.) and reports, which in truth I don't mind as I find working on reports for college rather enjoyable. This is before we get into the actual hands-on stuff with unity from what I know so I may have to take a whack and do some research/practicing before then.

So as the title suggests, today I went to college to re-enroll (A level 3 Games Development & Design Course) and I was accepted in, didn't even need an interview! (Thank god the last one took two hours.) and I was posting this here wondering if anybody had any advice or tips for going into a course of this kind of branch? From what I'm aware we'll be using Unity, any advice on that?

Welcome back to studentry!

ONE OF US, ONE OF US.

Good luck!

Have you been out of school for a while? I was recently a "mature student"... I got a uni degree in sciences, worked for a bit, then went to college for illustration, and now I'm here :)

EDIT: just looked at your profile and saw you're only 17! You're a young'un :o

Good luck!

Have you been out of school for a while? I was recently a "mature student"... I got a uni degree in sciences, worked for a bit, then went to college for illustration, and now I'm here :)

Left the local high-school (Satan must like the new head mistress as it's an academy now.)  due to the complete lack of co-operation on their half (I hadn't had a single math lesson in there because they didn't want to put the effort in to take diagnostic tests in order to try and understand how I process mathematics), so I left as soon as the opportunity arrived and went to the current college, as for illustrations and science I would have had a Distinction in my science grade, however my folder of work was lost and I had to re-do everything in the space of a month (it was the same story with my IT grade, they lost it all and I had to re-do it.) and I don't consider myself a very good artist as my sister is phenomenal at art.  

Make a game where you're bear doing bear things already.

I'll bear that in mine.

Good luck!

Left the local high-school (Satan must like the new head mistress as it's an academy now.)  due to the complete lack of co-operation on their half (I hadn't had a single math lesson in there because they didn't want to put the effort in to take diagnostic tests in order to try and understand how I process mathematics), so I left as soon as the opportunity arrived and went to the current college, as for illustrations and science I would have had a Distinction in my science grade, however my folder of work was lost and I had to re-do everything in the space of a month (it was the same story with my IT grade, they lost it all and I had to re-do it.) and I don't consider myself a very good artist as my sister is phenomenal at art.  

Make a game where you're bear doing bear things already.

I'll bear that in mine.

mine?

Also, why re-enroll? Were you on a one year course?

Bah, it's complicated: I had to re-enroll because of my low math grade so they put me through a conditional acceptance, the condition being a pass a functional skills course alongside get (at-least) a merit on my first-year course (A Level 2 General IT Course) before I could move onto this one. 

Archived