Craftable Weapons - Tinkering

Wolfihunter_prey

Hi guys!

What I REALLY miss from the game and I think it would be an excellent addition is the craftable weapons. There is nailed bats, nailed plank and thats it currently.

1. Spears - Long weapon made of stirdy sticks/pool cue and knife and ductape/wire. Has the same kind of durability as a knife (so not much), but provides a slight advantage as you are able to hit/stab the zombie slightly further away from you, providing you with some safety.

post-15994-0-55429200-1405498198_thumb.j  post-15994-0-39616300-1405498211_thumb.j  post-15994-0-28014300-1405498222_thumb.j

2. Shields - Now this one might be slightly obvious, but none the less exciting and fun! You could either make these out of planks, nails and a belt (I crafted many of these practise shields at home for fun with friends), these would not be very durable and would either reduce the chance of being scratched or damage, or give you a little more pushback when zombies aproach. Could be very nicely animated as when they are close and you push with your axe, it would push with both hands shield and axe. (Riot shields and reenforced versions could also be handy e.g. Spikey Shield (extra nails needed like 20).

post-15994-0-12060700-1405498249_thumb.j post-15994-0-43516300-1405498259_thumb.j

3. Swords? - Under swords I mean either traditional American civil war weapons (there are some in every household) or craftable metal weapons. I believe that a home made forge could and WOULD be very nice addition to the game, recycling some old car batteries for bullets, or create knives/smaller swords/ machete from old metal trash. This however would be a late game feature requiring a lot of hard to find items that are also heavy (like an anvil).

post-15994-0-48428900-1405498277_thumb.j

4. Tinkering existing weapons - Very much like the nailed bat/plank other weapons could be tinkered. First thing that comes into mind is a laser sight or small torch ductaped ontu a gun so that the lamp does not occupy the second equipment slot. This could either increase accuracy, or just simply add the light effect there so you see in the dark better. You could also fix a knife in front of the shotgun for the close combat scenario when you run out of bullets. Not to mention the Scythe which is a very popular weapon in many games and it can be located at farms, hardware stores. Not more durable than a spade, but looks much cooler. Sharpening the weapons could also be an option, or repairing if you have a forge /hammer anvil, or just a sharpening stone (increasing damage, reducing durability slightly).

5. Bows/crossbows - I am sure many threads are on this one already, but as I am a sport archer I think I can add to it :D First bows are hard to make, the ones you make first time will probably not even kill anything. The ones we use for sport are quite strong and hard to come by which means I would suggest that you have to find these. However the arrows can be made easy, if you aquire the materials (arrow head, stirdy stick, glue, feathers (3)) this makes a nice arrow, which could be recollected from dead bodies and have a chance to break. Then there are the carbon arrows, which hardly ever break and are commonly used by professional archers. These could be recollected many times before breaking or loosing the edge.

post-15994-0-36494100-1405498711_thumb.j

If we want to make bows craftable, as I said they should be either very weak at first that you shoot 3 times at a zombie before killing it, then slowls increase in quality as the more you craft, or very bad durability and break after 2 uses (very much like fishing rods.

post-15994-0-71907500-1405498156_thumb.j post-15994-0-65974900-1405498174_thumb.j

Now there could be some other fun craftable items that are weapon related:

1. Ammo pouch - can be equiped as a separate bag for the ammo, and the weapon takes out the ammo from this as a priority. This would allow you to separate the ammo from the other stuff and also maybe reduce the weight somewhat, or make it easier to keep track of your ammunation. It could be crafted at 2-3 level of tinkering.

post-15994-0-47575000-1405498359_thumb.j post-15994-0-26706800-1405498373_thumb.j

2. Placeable torch - a lit torch that can be put in the ground and lit for an amount of time. Can be very useful when setting up a battlefield where you will battle the zombies, and very cool light effects :D Or just when you hear a horde knocking on your door light the ones placed on top of your wall for more visual. Rain puts them out.

post-15994-0-08184500-1405498415_thumb.j

3. Scope - When equiped on the weapon, durig the aiming you are able to see further away but your vision gets very narrow. Increases accuracy and can be attached to guns, (rifle) and crossbows. Needs 2 mirrors and a crafted tube (could be just a plastic tube found somewhere).

post-15994-0-07819200-1405498687_thumb.j

4. Bayonette - A sharp knife used on the front part of a weapon, can be crafted from a knife and ductape/wire. Or found maybe.

post-15994-0-42752200-1405498776_thumb.j

5. Poison - Now this would be interesting :D Could be made from mushrooms, rotten stuff or dead zombies. Create arrows that are infected with the virus (dipped in zombie blood) and shoot them at that looter who just broke in your house. Use them to set up traps to unwelcomed looters too. Could be used to ruin the water/food supply of another gang.

6. Binoculars - How cool would it be if you could scout your area from a rooftop with your awesome binoculars? They can be found in most hardware stores, or in hunting cabins for sure! This would be an excellent item for those who wish to entrench themselves in one place and looking out for hazards from high places. Could be crafted from two toilet paper rolls and 4 magnifying lenses ^^

post-15994-0-79728400-1405498672_thumb.j

These are the ideas I could quickly summon :D I hope we will get some ideas bouncing back and forth and get some developer insight.

Great post!  A lot of these items have been suggested in the past, you can probably find most in the first few pages of the Suggestion forum, or using the search feature.  However, I am a sucker for a well outlined post with pictures that is more than a wall of text! :)

I really like the idea of shields, not sure if that has been mentioned before.  A shield charge would be sweet!

Thats a shame, forge are really nice :D I actually have a hommade one set up at my hobby plot and it works nicely with charcoal I can melt led, aluminium and soften iron for smithy :) VERY easy to make... I see some are made out of a flower pot :D You do need a blow drier tho.

Anyhow I did read a lot of the suggestions, but I did not see any specifics (other than the bow one), not taking credit for my original ideas, as they arent very original :D I did want to make a nice post to summarize them.

I think spears could be a nice tool for "hunting" as well once it gets implemented. Same goes for bows and crossbows as they would not attract so many zeds :)

A lot of these items have been suggested in the past

But they have never been posted this gorgeous.

2. Shields - Now this one might be slightly obvious, but none the less exciting and fun! You could either make these out of planks, nails and a belt (I crafted many of these practise shields at home for fun with friends), these would not be very durable and would either reduce the chance of being scratched or damage, or give you a little more pushback when zombies aproach. Could be very nicely animated as when they are close and you push with your axe, it would push with both hands shield and axe. (Riot shields and reenforced versions could also be handy e.g. Spikey Shield (extra nails needed like 20).

Personally I would be more simple with - a pillow. The first thing I would think about, when I am in a house and I need some distance to something, would be a pillow. I can hold it against the zed needs to grab that first before I get any harm.

4. Bayonette - A sharp knife used on the front part of a weapon, can be crafted from a knife and ductape/wire. Or found maybe.

Cool! For me it sounds quite much martial arts, maybe a little too much, but I like it.maybe its a little weird but.. a knife and a baseball bat! Smashing zed is cool, but when they're too close you can't swing properly. In this case a knife on you hilt can be used to stab at very close range.

5. Poison - Now this would be interesting  :D Could be made from mushrooms, rotten stuff or dead zombies. Create arrows that are infected with the virus (dipped in zombie blood) and shoot them at that looter who just broke in your house. 

Bad idea! He will come back and steal your cookies again!

A lot of these items have been suggested in the past

But they have never been posted this gorgeous.

2. Shields - Now this one might be slightly obvious, but none the less exciting and fun! You could either make these out of planks, nails and a belt (I crafted many of these practise shields at home for fun with friends), these would not be very durable and would either reduce the chance of being scratched or damage, or give you a little more pushback when zombies aproach. Could be very nicely animated as when they are close and you push with your axe, it would push with both hands shield and axe. (Riot shields and reenforced versions could also be handy e.g. Spikey Shield (extra nails needed like 20).

Personally I would be more simple with - a pillow. The first thing I would think about, when I am in a house and I need some distance to something, would be a pillow. I can hold it against the zed needs to grab that first before I get any harm.

First of all thanks :DD

Pillow shield and bandage whip! Ultimate weapon combinations :D Altough a sheet rope is more deadly ;) To be fair I can imagine a very basic crafted shield that is as simple as a pillow shield. One time use basically :D but it comes in handy when you open a bathroom door...

What do you think about a blade crafted from a pipe or ceiling fan? Simply cut with some metal sheet scissors and folded out. To be honest there are pipes everywhere ^^ not sure if in America they use plastic or iron pipes though (in Hungary they use iron/aluminium in most places).

What could also be good is the handmade flamethrower - made with a spray can and lighter. Could set the zombies on fire and have low durability (as cans dont last very long)?

Pillow shield and bandage whip! Ultimate weapon combinations :D Altough a sheet rope is more deadly ;)

History will remember you as the first man who strangled a zombie to dead. More dead than dead. Generations will honor your... ...weird behaviour...

[/history lessons]

Pillow fighting: These one-usage things fit PZ the best I think. And this bathrooms are killing me way too often, but let's have more pillow fights at home.

Pipe world: Americas pipes are made of iron(60%) asbestos(20%) and polyvinyl(20%). Thats a little much older than hungarys* infrastructure, but still working.. more or less.. less I think**.

Lawn-mower-launcher: Personally I love crafting. there are such happy things you can do with household carpentry that hurts-a-lot, but... but... but I think this doesn't fit PZ too much.

I am not lead designer***, but afaik PZ tries to keep tools more simple and 'hopeless'. And too big improvised weapons just kill this feeling of not-having a chance. And crafted blades sound a bit too martial arts for me. But using pipes and other steel would be cool for construction. Forging metal seems a bit over-the-top for me but having a steel bar in a barricade would maybe make it impossible for zed to get through****

Thing I am missing very much is tossing/breaking/throwing furniture. 

I'd like to throw cutlery,  frying pans, chairs and pillows at a zombie when I get trapped in a house or caught by surprise*****. Maybe breaking of a table leg as club/mace/cudgel*******

*Kösönöm!

** am not american, so I can't judge

*** not yet!

**** but makes funny noises when a pale hand hits the empty pipe (dong dong dong)

***** seriously this would be the first thing I do when I panic******

****** and I know I will panic when a zombie joins my house while I am cooking in the kitchen

******'where is the difference?

Pillow shield and bandage whip! Ultimate weapon combinations :D Altough a sheet rope is more deadly ;)

History will remember you as the first man who strangled a zombie to dead. More dead than dead. Generations will honor your... ...weird behaviour...

[/history lessons]

Pillow fighting: These one-usage things fit PZ the best I think. And this bathrooms are killing me way too often, but let's have more pillow fights at home.

Pipe world: Americas pipes are made of iron(60%) asbestos(20%) and polyvinyl(20%). Thats a little much older than hungarys* infrastructure, but still working.. more or less.. less I think**.

Lawn-mower-launcher: Personally I love crafting. there are such happy things you can do with household carpentry that hurts-a-lot, but... but... but I think this doesn't fit PZ too much.

I am not lead designer***, but afaik PZ tries to keep tools more simple and 'hopeless'. And too big improvised weapons just kill this feeling of not-having a chance. And crafted blades sound a bit too martial arts for me. But using pipes and other steel would be cool for construction. Forging metal seems a bit over-the-top for me but having a steel bar in a barricade would maybe make it impossible for zed to get through****

Thing I am missing very much is tossing/breaking/throwing furniture. 

I'd like to throw cutlery,  frying pans, chairs and pillows at a zombie when I get trapped in a house or caught by surprise*****. Maybe breaking of a table leg as club/mace/cudgel*******

*Kösönöm!

** am not american, so I can't judge

*** not yet!

**** but makes funny noises when a pale hand hits the empty pipe (dong dong dong)

***** seriously this would be the first thing I do when I panic******

****** and I know I will panic when a zombie joins my house while I am cooking in the kitchen

******'where is the difference?

Hehe ^^

Breaking furniture is a MUST. TOO many shitty tables get in my way.. not to mention chairs eugh.. I thought first I could destroy them for some "fuel" for my campfire only to find it is not an available feature. So you have my like on that one! Using furniture as barricades have also been proposed and I think it would be a nice addition to create improvised barricades from these furniture items either by being able to pick them up and then make an improvised barricade you can put in the way (probably the best way) or at least to be able to pick them up and move them (same as corpses) would be an another option, but this would not work as a barricade as they can be walked over I think? They have to be destructable either way.

Using furniture as barricades have also been proposed and I think it would be a nice addition to create improvised barricades from these furniture items either by being able to pick them up and then make an improvised barricade you can put in the way (probably the best way) or at least to be able to pick them up and move them (same as corpses) would be an another option, but this would not work as a barricade as they can be walked over I think? They have to be destructable either way.

Chair equipped as a weapon which breaks after 5-10 hits against a wall/zombie and turns into 4 sticks and a log. Turning a table at its side makes it a barricade - long tables like a wall and small tables like a fence. Both should break fast. but as a result you can use the whole house for defensive actions and after fighting 4-5 zombies at home you see there was a fight, cause there are only thrown-over furnitures, sticks and logs.