Guns jamming

Strang

Right now, guns in project zomboid can be considered a little op. To add to the realism of the game, guns should jam and malfunction to add more challenge to the game. Simple jams could be cleared right on the spot, while more complex jams could require a cleaning kit. This would also bring in the possibility of new skill books for gun cleanings and a new skill called cleaning

I really like this idea!  I can imagine being in a tight spot and having to resort to a firearm to clear a path to safety to only have it jam and require a cleaning kit with even more zombies bearing down on you from the first few shots.  Maybe instead of a cleaning skill have a firearm maintenance skill that affects how fast you can clear a jam and the efficiency of firearm repairs.  Also having the frequency of jams raised as the weapon degrades would force you to keep your gun properly maintained if you may need to rely on it to save your life.

This sounds pretty cool, but you would have to make it so harder jams are rarer, and simple jams are more common. Plus, this post just made me think, for ammunition there could be a chance for them to be blanks.

Gun jamming generally doesn't require a cleaning kit, mostly you just have to clear the jam by either cocking the weapon a couple times to cycle a couple rounds (this drops 2-3 bullets on the ground) or dissembling the gun and clearing it that way.  Naturally older guns jam more often so a gun with lower durability would jam more often.  And the oldest might explode in your face.  And you should still clean the gun every so often since not doing so increases jam frequency. 

Right now, guns in project zomboid can be considered a little op. To add to the realism of the game, guns should jam and malfunction to add more challenge to the game. Simple jams could be cleared right on the spot, while more complex jams could require a cleaning kit. This would also bring in the possibility of new skill books for gun cleanings and a new skill called cleaning

I made this point on the 'Shotguns are OP' thread, and I agree with you about jams and kits.  As far as a new skill I'm not as sure, seems like a somewhat pointless talent to level.

Could be pretty trivial to add a stalker-style jamming system (i.e: gun's jammed, I have to reload it again) to Zomboid as is. We've already got weapon durability in-game, just have the chance of a jam go up as the gun's durability degrades. Then it's just a matter of having the character cry out when the gun jams (floating text), and making the gun give off a different sounding click sound when you try to refire it.

All the player has to do is reload the gun again to keep firing. True, this abstracts away the actual mechanics of cleaning/clearing a firearm, but what's important here is the critical delay between having the gun jam and being able to fire again. A lot can happen in those crucial seconds. If you want matters to be a bit more puckering, have the 'unjamming-reload' take a different length of time compared to a regular reload, or make it only possible to unjam the weapon when stationary or when they've calmed down a bit.

Having the panic/stress moodles affecting the time taken to unjam the gun. Hmm...

Anyway, that's my idea. When the gun jams, you have to hit the reload key again to unjam it. But unjamming could take longer than the typical reload, and moodles could effect the time taken to unjam the gun under certain circumstances.

I don't like it, having the random aspect added isn't generally a good idea.

"Oh look you died. Not because of you, but because the code dictated your gun should jam this time. "

This can't be added unless the character can influence it, if for example, he is using a gun thats about to break (10% durability), jams should occur, this tells the player, Oh I should be careful about using this, it might jam.

And yes guns of any condition caaan jam, but we need to keep the game and realism balance here.