A few weapon Ideas

Josephkhland

Here is a compilation of some weapons that I think that can be implemented in the game:

1) Torch : How to make it : A Branch/ or Plank / or bat + A Bandage + Oil / Or Resin / Or any flamable Oil

The torch will deal almost same damage as a Bat if it is not lit. If it is lit it will deal the same damage as a bat but there will be some fire damage too. Also it will create light. When you lit it can remain lit for about 2 hours then it becomes a branch and you can use A Bandage and Oil again to make it a torch again. It will also have a durability

2)Sling : You will be able to craft it using a Smashed Branch and a hammer . Using the hammer you create the weapons skeleton then you need to find the rubber part. Unlimited ammunition when stepping on land . 3 Damage

3) Spiked Shield : You will be able to turn a Plank into a shield with the use of 1/4 of a rope and some duct tape (you will also need a saw to cut the plank in the appropriate size and then to make the shields handle (made with ropes that passes through the shield)). Then you can Hammer some Nails on it to maked a spiked shield.

4)Caltrops : You throw them to the ground and if a humans walks over the area his feet is injuried and is bleedind reducing movement speed. Also Zombies slow down when walking on caltrops. You will also be able to use nails as caltops

5) Shovel as a Weapon ...

It would probably be best to make a separate post for each weapon idea I think, not sure on that. Those ideas are a bit nice, but I've got a few problems. If you wrap a torch in something soft then it should make it a less effective weapon, so the torch should hit more softly than a bare club. A sling is not the same thing as a hand-catapult. A sling is made of string or cloth or leather or string and leather, and you use it by swinging it and letting go of one end. I think they are both good ideas. A strong man with a strong catapult can kill zombies with a catapult, and I expect a sling can probably break a skull. A staff-sling would also be effective, and certainly able to kill zombies. I remember there already being a topic about shields. Not sure why you'd want a spiked shield though. The other ideas, caltrops and shovels, yeah, they're good ideas.

No, no, I think it's far better to have a single thread that includes a selection of ideas, especially if they're of the same topic. Less forum clutter that way. 

I don't think a 'torch' in the traditional sense is going to be an effective weapon. The idea is to provide light, and zombies aren't afraid of either light or fire. It wouldn't be very durable. 

A sling is an interesting idea. You mean like an ancient era sling, though, right? A forked sling-SHOT isn't going to be a very effective weapon in any sense, against humans or zombies. 

Like has been discussed before, the effectiveness of a shield against zombies is debatable. A zombie will launch itself against anything, including a shield, which it will then try to grab, unlike a human which will try and avoid the shield. Remember a shield is designed to deflect weapon blows, not a zombie which is trying to grab or leap on you. Spiked means a zed might become stuck on your shield, which is bad again.

Caltrops and shovels are more viable and logical. I expect shovels to be added as proper tools later on. I'm basing my judgement on zombie fighting, but I understand that it'd be different against other players. The problem with zombies as traditional fighting methods aren't effective against them (or at least shouldn't be in a realistic game). 

The torch seems a PERFECT way to set fire to yourself, the safehouse, and the surounding area :P

Crafting a forked-slingshot (frame and rubber) could be quite useful, but not as a weapon. Throwing a rock against a wall, or smashing a window at long range, could be quite useful for distracting zombies. If you want a weapon aspect, it'd be more against other players or NPCs. Bruising the skull or putting an eye out for example.

Caltrops will be nice for area denial against other players or NPCs, but not that good at all against zombies. But, an idea. Lay out a bedsheet on the road, cover with caltrops. If you find reasonably fresh bloodstains on the sheet in the morning, it means there's roaming Zeds in the area.

What caltrops do in reality is causing great pain when you step on them (especially bare footed ) that can't move your legs. Since zombies don;t feell pain they will only deal the minor damage and may have the zombie fall down or make a noise etc. So I suggested it especially for NPCs and Other players.

About the sling : (well in my language the sling and the hand catapult are the same just that the sling is more arhaic version of the hand catapult, so I really meant both ..) The sling and hand catapult can deal damage and actually it deals about the same damage as a knife but the damage is blunt.  The hand catapult deals less damage but requires less time to ready it , I believe it can deal the same damage as a Butter knife

The torch seems a PERFECT way to set fire to yourself, the safehouse, and the surounding area :P

.You can actually do all of these and use it as a weapon. And yes it deals the same damage as a bat (if bat = 10.00 critical => torch deals 9.8 critical . )

Like has been discussed before, the effectiveness of a shield against zombies is debatable. A zombie will launch itself against anything, including a shield, which it will then try to grab, unlike a human which will try and avoid the shield. Remember a shield is designed to deflect weapon blows, not a zombie which is trying to grab or leap on you. Spiked means a zed might become stuck on your shield, which is bad again.

Well a shield as a protective gear won't be so effective however you can always bash them away with it. If your strength is higher than the zombies then you can do it. The spiked Shield " You bash , it stabs and you kick the zombie to throw it away ".  A small sized shield (a Buckler for example) can be used as a protective gear as you can use it with finesse and deflect scratches and bites if you have good reflexes.

a spiked shield is not a good idea at all. the zombies don't give a damn if a spike sticks them in the ribs or anywhere else, they don't feel pain. all it will do is tie up one hand, probably your weak hand, and give the zombies something to grab onto and throw you off balance, or prevent you from running away.

don't know why people keep forgetting this, but our characters in the game are supposed to be average people doing average jobs, with average skills and traits, in an average town or two in Kentucky. now how many people in real life Muldraugh would be able to effectively wield and use a shield properly? never heard of the military training people in the use of a shield either.

the objects/loot in the game is average stuff that would be found in an average house. as much as i like the idea of Caltrops, just how many houses do you think would realistically have ANY of them in it? in my 40+ years i have yet to see a real one in any house i have ever visited.

sling shots and torches are a realistic option. guarantee you would find several sling shots in an average town. and a torch is certainly easy to conceive people crafting when power is out. a shovel could make a decent make shift weapon. though i would be hesitant to use one personally when i looked at it's practical use and value in an apocalypse. in truth, i could easily envision people organizing raiding parties to get a shovel for food and disposal purposes, so the chance of breaking my shovel would most likely make me use it strictly as an emergency weapon.

one more thing, contrary to Centurions post, it is better to make a separate thread for each idea than it is to have a thread with multiple ideas. easier for a Dev to locate a properly titled thread about a proposed item than it is for them to have to search thru pages of multiple idea threads.