Building roofs and the look of the roads

Crackerjack

I actually had two suggestions and didn't want to make two topics.

My first suggestion is that a "roof" tile is buildable, with conditions being that it must be above a floor tile and connected to a wall or another roof tile. It's a little strange that I need to build staircases next to all the huts I build for people (in multiplayer) just to floor the ceiling, or just not bothering and having everyone live in a roofless hovel that still somehow keeps them dry.

The second suggestion is for the map. Currently the roads just sort of immediately jut and make acute angles. IRL roads curve at varying degrees; trying to drive in Muldraugh on the current roads would lead to a lot of accidents.

The second suggestion is for the map. Currently the roads just sort of immediately jut and make acute angles. IRL roads curve at varying degrees; trying to drive in Muldraugh on the current roads would lead to a lot of accidents.

IRL world doesn't consist of tiles, which is the reason the roads are the way they are.

If you want curved roads in the current iteration, you'll have to manually create curved road tiles and place them by hand. Now, I don't know if the modding tools support manually breaking down single, large, images into tiles or not without manual input and arrangement -- they might well.

That's a bit of a problem in a world where everything is cut into tiles.

Some of the examples you list are created on a small png file, where details are just painted on. It's still tile-by-tile, despite appearing curved at higher resolutions.

I think what the guys are trying to say is, with the tools set how they are currently It's too pesky of a job to do curves. The amount of corners, curves etc. in a map this size too big to do every corner by hand as those example pics have been made.

We have to remember that a road cannot be different sized in a different spot of the road. It has to be consistent. So therefore those "turning" grass and sand patches are out of the question as the tools don't put out straight angles. Also the railway turns are placed tile by tile to make that curve (it takes something like 6-15 tiles for every turn, all have to be put in the right place by hand). Therefore it's a real pain in the ass to even do diagonal roads atm. Trust me, I've tried. :D

However! I do remember someone saying that curved roads will be a possibility at some point when all of the 3D features have been implemented.

I think what the guys are trying to say is, with the tools set how they are currently It's too pesky of a job to do curves. The amount of corners, curves etc. in a map this size too big to do every corner by hand as those example pics have been made.

We have to remember that a road cannot be different sized in a different spot of the road. It has to be consistent. So therefore those "turning" grass and sand patches are out of the question as the tools don't put out straight angles. Also the railway turns are placed tile by tile to make that curve (it takes something like 6-15 tiles for every turn, all have to be put in the right place by hand). Therefore it's a real pain in the ass to even do diagonal roads atm. Trust me, I've tried. :D

However! I do remember someone saying that curved roads will be a possibility at some point when all of the 3D features have been implemented.

Oh, okay! That explains it. I suppose it's a sacrifice of realism for practicality! But it does bring up the future issue of how cars will take corners...

Hehe, to make those curves in the railroad means that there are almost 100 different railroad tiles :D  I agree that it would look nicer to have more gradual curves, but as it stands it's pretty hard to do. I am trying to make more gradual curves for areas where it's possible, though.