Human Generated Electricity

Strider

This was e-mailed to me by my nephew. I like the idea but I don't think it'll work because skills in PZ need to be obtainable by the average joe.

Perhaps when electronics comes into play and it gets it's own skill. Perhaps if we have a survivor who already know about this sort of tech before the breakout. However, I think this might be rendered pointless once we have small petrol(gas) powered generators which have already been discussed but he's not aware of because he doesn't read this forum.

He also doesn't know about this: http://goo.gl/47tviN

I thought I'd post it here.

If they intent to add vehicles to PZ, I have an idea.

I'd like to be able to generate some sort of power, most likely late game, to run lights and small appliances (TV etc).

These could relieve boredom and have other effects on your character.

To achieve this parts from the aforementioned cars are needed.

Using the alternator , batter & drive belt from a car you could generate enough power to run these kinda things.

You'd also need to make a stand for a bicycle, have an inverter and most importantly, an actual bicycle.

This is a realistic way of generating power, but not to an extent that would make the game go silly....like say, some of the Minecraft mods running tons of stuff.

Roughly, for every 1 hour of pedalling you can run a small TV for 2 hours, so it's not going be totally ridiculous.

Any thoughts?

Exactly that, yes.

I wouldn't say special skills are needed, just a little knowledge.

I mean, it's possible to fiddle with an alternator to get more power, but that'll be a bit far.

The thing about generators is they, obviously, need fuel.

I can't imagine this is going to be a plentiful resource, so this could be a starting point and also a backup.

PS. I'm the nephew.

PPS. "So, what is it?"

Makes me think of the Red Dwarf episode White Hole

"Without the power, the crew are forced back to basics. Lister and the Cat are forced to live off cold baked beans while they try to employ a bicycle powered hairdryer to fry an egg"

Hah. Red Dwarf. Those were good times!

I wouldn't say special skills are needed, just a little knowledge.

Oh I disagree in the strongest terms. Let me put it another way. If you were without any resource do you think you/the average joe could:

* Identify the parts by sight?

* Assemble them without instruction or reference?

* Identify and fix faults without prior training/instruction?

I very much doubt it's true for either average joe (he's a proper dick by the way) or yourself.

P.S My nephew is also a dick

Oh I disagree in the strongest terms. Let me put it another way. If you were without any resource do you think you/the average joe could:

* Identify the parts by sight?

* Assemble them without instruction or reference?

I very much doubt it's true for either average joe (he's a proper dick by the way) or yourself.

P.S My nephew is also a dick

Well, since there are books for Carpentry, Cooking & Farming, surely it's possible to have a book for mechanics.

That fixes at least 2 of the 3 points you outlined.

Well, since there are books for Carpentry, Cooking & Farming, surely it's possible to have a book for mechanics.

That fixes at least 2 of the 3 points you outlined.

Yeah which is why I said

And

Perhaps when electronics comes into play and it gets it's own skill.

Thanks for reading. Or not, as the case may be.

Guys, you might be related, but I'll still have to give you warnings if you're not lovely with each other here ;):)

But.....but......but.....he started it!!!

I did read what was said, I guess I just didn't read into it far enough.

Personally, I'd just like to be able to have reasonable inside lighting.

Guys, you might be related, but I'll still have to give you warnings if you're not lovely with each other here ;):)

But.....but......but.....he started it!!!

I did read what was said, I guess I just didn't read into it far enough.

Personally, I'd just like to be able to have reasonable inside lighting.

As always, I don't really care who started it, I only care that it stays nice and pleasant here :)

Campfires should help with the lighting once power's gone. If you're having tonns of trouble, try turning up your monitor's brightness/contrast settings.

As always, I don't really care who started it, I only care that it stays nice and pleasant here :)

I know, I know. 

I'll be good :(

Campfires should help with the lighting once power's gone. If you're having tonns of trouble, try turning up your monitor's brightness/contrast settings.

Yeah, they give a little light, but the ability to have proper lighting would be good.

Electricity is obviously going to be a pain in the ass, but wall torches, candles etc would be good.

'Cause in a real zombpocalypse you can't turn the brightness up :P

He's a bell end, basically :)

I remember when he couldn't form basic sentences. Yesterday, I think it was. Yes that's right :)