Recommanded system to host a multiplayer server and playing as a client

Ronarch

Question

8 answers to this question

I am using win7 premium 64bit.

I actually have been practicing that for a few days.

I assigned 4gb ram for the server and it ran fine for both the server and the client.

However there were only 5-6 players and I expect more friends (10-15) will join.

Therefore I create this post to look for your kind advices.

4-6GB assigned to the server should do the trick for that amount of players.

It sounds like 8GB ram is not sufficient then.

To play & host the server? I wouldn't know what the requirements for the game are, but if you are deciding to run this server 24/7, then yeah it isn't sufficient.

In all honesty you would probably get away with just the 4GB, the rest is just kind of a comfort space really. Really depends how players are one, what they are doing etc.

8 GB is sufficient for 10-15 players. Did allot of tests recently (4GB is possible, if you run Windows then some extra memory is advised on top of that 4 GB), just make sure its a PZ server only and don`t use it to play and host..(you can try of course :).

Even tried 2 GB with bursting to 3 GB (linux), 10 players on and no problems. If your hosting @ home, then there`s other stuff you need to review / check.

Tried allot of servers with different specs, pretty much everything from 1 GB - 32 GB with 1-4 Cores,Winx, Ubuntu, with max 35 players (i saved all the benchmarks if interested).

There`s allot you can tweak in the O/S so you just have to try it out.

In short, 8 GB is more then sufficient for 10-15 players (unless the rest of the hardware is crap of course).

Have fun Ronarch.

Ronarch, if I were you I would invite the other friends to join your server, Try it with 10 players and play yourself. If any problems come up let me know and we can troubleshoot from there. There`s no real advised setup / benchmark etc so just give it a go.

8 GB is sufficient for 10-15 players. Did allot of tests recently (4GB is possible, if you run Windows then some extra memory is advised on top of that 4 GB), just make sure its a PZ server only and don`t use it to play and host..(you can try of course :).

Even tried 2 GB with bursting to 3 GB (linux), 10 players on and no problems. If your hosting @ home, then there`s other stuff you need to review / check.

Tried allot of servers with different specs, pretty much everything from 1 GB - 32 GB with 1-4 Cores,Winx, Ubuntu, with max 35 players (i saved all the benchmarks if interested).

In short, 8 GB is more then sufficient for 10-15 players (unless the rest of the hardware is crap of course).

Have fun Ronarch.

Thanks very much for the information.

But I have to play at the same time...I got one rig only and I host the server for my friends and I since I have the best internet connection among us.

You mentioned 8 GB is sufficient for 10-15 players. I wonder if you mean you allocated 8 gbs ram for the server? or the hosting computer has 8 gb ram?

Have fun Ronarch.

Thanks very much for the information.

But I have to play at the same time...I got one rig only and I host the server for my friends and I since I have the best internet connection among us.

You mentioned 8 GB is sufficient for 10-15 players. I wonder if you mean you allocated 8 gbs ram for the server? or the hosting computer has 8 gb ram?

In that case I assigned 8 GB to that server, started it, assigned 80% (the xms setting) of the total memory available to the PZ-dedi process and ran it for a while.

So 8GB total, I don`t run any other processes on the server except PZ. Every installation is different so play / tweak around with the settings.

Playing and hosting on same box..You will just have to try it.. 2 many variables :P. Not sure how HD heavy the process etc is..I suggest you start installing PZ Server on a separate HD then the HD you play (O/S) on etc. Give it a dedicated controller.

You running Windows ? Strip that ***** from all processes / services / background processes etc, so much you can tweak :)

Wrote this in a hurry :P

/edit what O/S you going to use to play / host?

Archived