Addiction

MagiCaravan

I think this would be quite easy to add and could add a cool feeling to multiplayer and ai in the future;

Suggestion:

- The choice to start the game as a smoker or alcoholic. This would be chosen as negative traits. Smoker could give a few extra points and alcoholic could give like 5 extra. Not smoking a couple of times a day would make the character anxious, easy to anger, jumpy or something like that. Lack of alcohol would be even worse.

- Smoking/drinking daily for a couple of days leads to addicion.

- Not smoking/drinking daily will end up with these huge negative effects for a several days, but it would pass and the character loses the addicion.

Im imagining people in multiplayer to chose this to get better traits. The big downside is they have to scavange for smokes/alcohol to not fall into a "pit" of negative effects. The negative effects have to be big enough to make it almost impossible to survive without their fulfilling addicion. Only way to safely get rid of it would be getting into a safe house with stored food and water for several days or more.

If there are addictions they should play out in one of two ways. Negative starting trait=no way of overcoming it with gradual scale up of negative moodles for not attending to it, just like the food/water needs. In-game addiction=use it too often and there is a percent chance to become addicted, but once addicted if you can get through withdrawal symptoms you can break the habit. Or hidden option c, rp it in mp.

This is why i just said if it's a negative trait there shouldn't be a way of overcoming it. If youre an alcoholic your an alcoholic irl. You may be able to stop with self help groups but if you ever pick up a drink again you fall right back down to where you left off (my mom is a recovering alcoholic so i would know). And i don't see too many 12 step programs popping up post zompocalypse.

This was suggested TONS of times, and it's probably just gonna make everything more complex.

Let's try to keep it simple, aye?

If thats the case, i apologize. I checked the list of "Y" and "N" suggestions and could not find it, so i didnt bother searching for it.

Not a bad idea but, I feel this would be extremely overpowered as you would gain permanent positive traits without gaining any permanent negative ones.

Might be true. Playing solo with harsh side effects could be hard to survive at the beginning, but in multiplayer one could start with addiction, run to his mates safehouse and just wait it out.

Still, i think it would be a really cool impact on the social bit of the game, especially in multiplayer. Other characters getting grumpy, unhappy and just hard to work with when they dont get what they need ^^

I thought they used to have the ability to get addicted.

But remove this perk nonsense, unless theres 2 perks.

1 to make it less likely to be addicted the other doing the opposite.

Make addictions just be something simple.

Take too many cigarettes to help stress? You run the chance of addiction, and you get withdrawal which is unhappiness, however feeding the addiction should grant more happiness.

See how simple this can be?

And I want this in because its a good complexity, I won't ever do in game drugs but still, makes multiplayer more interesting with higher stakes if a gang of addicts wants something, and its not forced in the game its not like you HAAAVE to take any drugs or alcohol.

And self help doesn't exist.

"Theres no such thing as self help. If you did it yourself, you didn't need help. You did it yourself."