Long-term fatigue

Burianu

Hey all, this was brought up in the combat difficulty thread, but no one was interested in giving feedback so I figured i'd post it here.  

I believe the fatigue system needs a new addition: long-term fatigue.  After > 4 hours of running around town, hauling loot and battling zombies, your character should be exhausted for more than just an hour or two.  Continuing to sprint, loot, and battle during this exhausted period should be a risk - i.e. your character is weaker, slower, or fatigued easier.  This seems fairly intuitive to me; all that would be required is a moodle informing the player that they need to rest to recover.  Fatigue in general should also be specific to the muscle being used.  

Something like this, I believe, would encourage the slower, more careful approach the devs are looking to encourage - avoid fighting, move carefully, plan ahead, save energy for when you need it.  This would also make large scale zombie wipe-outs a more difficult task, though more might have to be done in order to balance for multiplayer.  

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

I agree fully. The way fatigue works atm is just a tad too gamey. Also there should be different phases of fatigued as there are with some other moodles. However I do think this is something that should be done later in the development phase and isn't an issue that needs tending immediately.

I agree fully. The way fatigue works atm is just a tad too gamey. Also there should be different phases of fatigued as there are with some other moodles. However I do think this is something that should be done later in the development phase and isn't an issue that needs tending immediately.

You think so?  I just think what with the complaints about zombie weakness something must be done soon to weaken the player.  Their numbers, which people argue should be their most dangerous factor, can't be adjusted too high without being unrealistic, although I could see a small increase.

You think so? I just think what with the complaints about zombie weakness something must be done soon to weaken the player. Their numbers, which people argue should be their most dangerous factor, can't be adjusted too high without being unrealistic, although I could see a small increase.

Yes, I think so. As much as playability is important we have to remember that this is still an alpha game and the devs have to concentrate on bigger features instead of tweaking small features that are already working within those confines.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, the current fatigue system seems bad because of the translation of real time to game time. Time passes by real fast in PZ but the actions you take are still in real time. Meaning that lets just say 1 second in real time is 10 minutes in PZ. Sure resting for 10 minutes is good in real life but that translation into game makes it seem like you can just run indefinitely.

In general each stage of fatigue should last longer (there are different stages currently in game thought there is only one moodle). And each time you go in another stage the longer it should last than the other. This should occur as well if you enter fatigue shortly after you already been in it. Meaning if you just continue running and stopping, you will skip fatigue stage 1 and automatically enter fatigue stage 2 the next the time.

Making fatigue last longer will help us go a long way in feeding the hungry :P