A Windy/Still Day

Strider

What about the effects of wind?

I could see that having quite a profound effect in a zombie apocalypse.

If placed into conjunction with rain it could compound the effect. For example, a snow or rainy day when it's very windy can be very uncomfortable. In PZ it would be hazardous. Snow on a still day could be a lot of fun. Let's build a snowman!

I doubt it would come under the classification of a moodle but if it did I would do it like this.

Still "There's not a breath of wind."   The player can hear a pin drop. Breeze "A very slight breeze, put on a jumper"   Player hearing impaired to a very minor degree. Player will be marginally colder. Windy "Player hearing considerably impaired. Player is very cold, put on a heavy coat."   Players hearing is considerably impaired. Zombies will not be heard until they're on top of you. Player will find walking exerting after a short period and running after a very short period. Gale/Typhoon/Twister "The roof is coming off! Get indoors!" You'll barely hear a zombie tearing down a barricade. Remain outdoors at your peril. Running is impossible. Chance to be hit by flying debris.    

I'd like wind to have an effect, yes. I wouldn't want it as a moodle though... Just like it is now, a sound indication is enough. The effect would be cooling the air down from what the current temperature is (I know this isn't what physically happens, but for gameplay's sake...). In the summer a decent wind would be a welcomed guest, but in the colder days even a breaze will be annoyingly cold. It's actually the latter here atm and I'm not stepping outside again. It's only -7oC (19.4oF), but with the wind I swear it feels like -20oC (-4oF). And the wind is only about 7m/s (15.66mph).

What about the effects of wind?

I could see that having quite a profound effect in a zombie apocalypse.

If placed into conjunction with rain it could compound the effect. For example, a snow or rainy day when it's very windy can be very uncomfortable. In PZ it would be hazardous. Snow on a still day could be a lot of fun. Let's build a snowman!

I doubt it would come under the classification of a moodle but if it did I would do it like this.

Still "There's not a breath of wind."   The player can hear a pin drop. Breeze "A very slight breeze, put on a jumper"   Player hearing impaired to a very minor degree. Player will be marginally colder. Windy "Player hearing considerably impaired. Player is very cold, put on a heavy coat."   Players hearing is considerably impaired. Zombies will not be heard until they're on top of you. Player will find walking exerting after a short period and running after a very short period. Gale/Typhoon/Twister "The roof is coming off! Get indoors!" You'll barely hear a zombie tearing down a barricade. Remain outdoors at your peril. Running is impossible. Chance to be hit by flying debris.    

Regarding snow there was a rather long and drown out discussion on it here: http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4233-questions-regarding-winter/

Mainly regarding that Kentucky doesn't get enough snow to facilitate building a snow man. :P

As for wind, there has been a couple of threads that have talked about weather and more specifically wind in the past, some are still relatively new as well.

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4907-better-weather/

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/4812-other-elements-than-rain-and-heat/

Yeah, I also believe that wind shouldn't really come under a moodle since moodles are more player effects, or a way of providing information to the player that's about the player. Where as weather is something that should be conveyed in the game world.

I like the thought. This could be useful for:

A: Using a sailboat to cross that currently useless river

B: Hiding your scent/throwing off your scent from zombs

C: Giving your position away to zombs by scent

D: Windmills That ain't gonna happen :P

E: Knocking things over if strong enough winds and weak enough objects (Such as baby trees)

F: Spread Pollen (You could make an allergy trait that makes you sneeze or something)

G: Crashing that freaking annoying Military Helicopter and Taking their sweet loot!

H: Pinwheels! For funzies and stuff 

I: Muffling Gunshots (To some extent. It's pretty hard to muffle explosions)

J: TORNADORS

Only like 3 of those were good but oh well

Eh, it all depends. Right now in the U.S. 60% of the mainland is going through a freeze. A few weeks ago in Atlanta Georgia it was 6 degrees fahrenheit. I've got cousins in northern Louisiana a few years back who had a snowball fight. I think if we're going to be talking about weather, we can't ignore snow. Even the southern states are starting to get battered.