Insanely Low FPS!

MadDan

Question

Let me start of by saying: Yes, I know it's Alpha, I'm not sure if this was posted before because I just made my new account so the layout is new to me. 

Anyway, I didn't try actually looking at my FPS earlier because I just assumed it was running fine and it was a video memory bug. (bad idea) When I did actually see my FPS, it was under 20FPS and won't go any higher, sometimes under 10FPS which it should because I have a PC that (should) be capable of running it. In the menu, I get 30FPS, until i click "Sandbox" and it goes down the 3FPS! Here's a screenshot of the FPS while standing, on the lowest resolution, windowed and with no shaders. http://gyazo.com/bec6863c0d0a013e91147029bf152b1e

The specs are; OS: Windows 7 32 Bit CPU: Core2Quad Q8300 @2.5Ghz | GPU: AMD Radeon HD 6670 GDDR 3 | RAM: 4GB | Resolution: 1680 x 1050.

Please help me! It's also the latest Desura version that I'm running. (It says: "Alpha(522), Build 9")

I believe I've tried everything. I haven't re-installed for a while, but this has been the case since the first build upcoming to RC3 was released. It's just that I didn't know it was.

(It says: "Alpha(522), Build 9")

Build 10 is supposed to be the latest build. Try manually updating your game from Desura.

EDIT: You can also download the game from here without Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid/download

You MUST be logged in first to download it.

Keep forgetting things.

This is probably the most important one,

Try updating your video card drivers.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Don't worry, I forget to mention that I updated them yesterday. :) I'm downloading an update now, my net is really slow. So I'll post again when I've finished about whether it's working or not.

Build 10 is supposed to be the latest build. Try manually updating your game from Desura.

EDIT: You can also download the game from here without Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid/download

I downloaded the update from Desura anyway. In-game it's 30 while I'm standing still, moving around is gone up to 20(sometimes 18). And the menu after clicking "Sandbox" is still 3FPS. But it has improved a little. Any other thing you would recommend doing? Or will I just wait for a few more updates to see if it improves more?

EDIT: You can also download the game from here without Desura: http://www.desura.com/games/project-zomboid/download

I downloaded the update from Desura anyway. In-game it's 30 while I'm standing still, moving around is gone up to 20(sometimes 18). And the menu after clicking "Sandbox" is still 3FPS. But it has improved a little. Any other thing you would recommend doing? Or will I just wait for a few more updates to see if it improves more? 

I KNOW HOW TO FIX! Just delete the Zomboid folder inside you user. It's from all the old versions of project zomboid. You're going to lose your saves if you have any.

What Austin said was to do a clean install.

If that does not work, you can try lowering your resolution.

I'm not sure for AMD cards, for Nvidia cards there are certain options like lowering the slider from quality to performance.

Try finding that option in the "Catalyst Manager"(?)

What I said should work. I have a shitty computer and I just deleted the Zomboid folder, and pow. It worked.

Well, in-game I have the same FPS after deleting the Zomboid folder. BUT after clicking on "Sandbox" I don't get 3FPS anymore I get 60. So we're getting there. Thanks :D Shall I re-install? I have no saves or anything because I wasn't able to play :P All that's needed is better FPS in-game and I should be set...

What I said should work. I have a shitty computer and I just deleted the Zomboid folder, and pow. It worked.

Well, in-game I have the same FPS after deleting the Zomboid folder. BUT after clicking on "Sandbox" I don't get 3FPS anymore I get 60. So we're getting there. Thanks :D Shall I re-install? I have no saves or anything because I wasn't able to play :P All that's needed is better FPS in-game and I should be set...

I didn't.. I still got pretty decent FPS though.

I wanted to remove my posts and just bump it once again, but I don't think you can do that. What else could I have done? It's just I always have gotten ignored with these threads, Which isn't something that should happen. At least to say "I have no more ideas, sorry." everyone would appreciate. Anyway, thank you.

Easy boy, will redirect a more than capable mod here...

He sent me instead.

Apart from the suggestions that were already made, there is nothing that I'd have to provide.

The only thing to double or tripple check would be playing with the sliders in your catalyst controll panel, moving them to "performance" instead of "quality".

Other than that, it's a matter of optimisation that's done by the devs.

He sent me instead.

Haha. I'm not too familiar with AMD Catalyst, so how exactly would I do that? I don't see any options as simple as that :/ I guess that if this doesn't work then I'll wait until it's out of Alpha or however long it may take. But if it was optimization wouldn't there be a lot of threads about low FPS on systems like mine which should be well capable?

17-20 FPS now which is playable enough, but could be better. Thanks. There's still FPS drops when I move around/run around so I'm not sure if that's the streaming not running correctly or my system. If there's anything else possible that might solve it, I'll try all of them, I don't want a refund because this is the game I've waited so long for :(

Update java to the latest version if you have not already, and lower your resolution to 1280x800 (that's what I play at).

See I also get around 10-20 fps at 1680x1050, so I uselessly play at 1280x800 and gain a steady 30+ fps.

Besides I don't like the way this game scales at higher resolution, things are too small for me, so 1280x800 actually looks better for me.

Just try it once, you can never go back. :D

If nothing I also sometimes get a drastic fps drop at 1280x800 when I start the game, I usually just restart it and it's fixed again, but sometimes I need to reinstall the game, have you tried reinstalling it yet? :)

Yeah, that was the first thing I did. Anyway, thanks for the help and if you think of anything you can post here again. :) And AkHolic, I'll try that, I've re-installed a lot of times, but I'll try it again sometime. Thanks. :D EDIT: Your resolution solution did get me to 30FPS (still dropping though) but it's a little easier to play now. I also set it to "insane". I guess the rest goes onto the optimization of future builds. Thank you. :D