Kentucky Culture!

Steelshrapnel

First of all, hello! I haven't bought the game yet, as my gaming computer broke. Another reason is that I'm a bit hesitant to buy things; though I've seen videos of the game, maps, interiors of buildings, and I'm certainly impressed! Though if you'll allow me to give my humble opinion here, I'd be most grateful. Thank you in advance for listening, and feel free to pick at my ideas; that's what they're here for.

I've a few relatives who live in Kentucky, and have been around the state multiple times. My suggestions are more aesthetic, and go about adding detail to the world. Kentucky is a state that has a good sum of flatland, but has a lot of hills and mountains as well. The Eastern Part of Kentucky has a good sum of Central appalachia in it's borders. Appalachia is known to have rugged terrain, a largely rural lifestyle, and...Moonshine. Even in central Kentucky, Appalachian ideas, and the iconic accent can be quite powerful in and of themselves. As most of you know, moonshine is a strong alcoholic drink. Roughly 98% alcohol if made properly, multiple flavors being added depending on recipes and the like. While I could go into a long history of prohibition, Kentucky's involvement with such, etcetera, etcetera, I'll skip to the point. Most moonshine consumed is brewed illegally as for people to avoid the middle man. I'd like there to be the occasional still, or jars of moonshine. (I'm not quite sure if someone wants to add the stereotypical jug, but it's a possibility.) While Kentucky is also known for whiskey, moonshine is also something I'd consider important to the area.

----

Kentucky is a southern state, and in most southern U.S. states, people have pride of their particular state. I was a bit surprised not to see the state flag of Kentucky seen more often. A good sum of the people I've met there have their state flag up, rather than the actual U.S. flag. (Most states in the south have a similar practice. It's key to note at this point that before the American civil war, most states viewed themselves as individual countries, and the federal government was very limited in what it could do and couldn't do. Pride of one's individual state flourished. After the civil war, people in the northern states would see their state as the place they lived, while in the South the concept of state pride still exists, and even flourishes.)

Another interesting note is that Kentucky remained neutral at the beginning of the American civil war, and many of it's citizens were divided between the Union and Confederacy after fighting took place there. Though I'm getting off topic--This is all meant to try and bring a bit more immersion into the game. It takes place in Kentucky after all, and the culture in Kentucky should probably be thought of. Adding these things would give the feeling as if I was actually in Kentucky. Mind, I could list all the other things that come out of Kentucky, but that would be silly. For now, I'd say that some of the more obvious signs should be there.

----

(The U.S.A, similar to China or other countries has different regions, and each of those regions has a significantly different culture, further accentuated due to different states and the odd form of 'nationalism' that can emanate from some of them.)

----

Forgive me if I was nitpicking, being rude, or otherwise uncharitable. I also have to apologize if I offended anyone or have acted perhaps a bit too formal. I suppose my upbringing might be a cause of this. Again, feel free to give your thoughts and opinions on this matter. Call me odd, but I'd like to see what the rest of you think.

I live about 25 minutes drive away from Muldraugh, in Louisville. I drove through it while on the way to a family reunion last Summer. I'm not sure it fits well in to "Kentucky Culture".

It's really more "Rural MidWest Culture" than "Southern Culture", because it's rather Northern Kentucky, and it's just a skip up the Dixie Highway that runs through and you're in West End Louisville. A couple Miles up Dixie Highway and you're surrounded by strip clubs and grime. 

Muldraugh is basically just a little bump on a Highway surrounded by Fort Knox Military Base on the outskirts of a major Metropolitan City, with farmland on the other side. Noone is making Moonshine in Muldraugh. It's not Appalachian. 

Also, I have no idea what the Kentucky State Flag looks like without Google, and after Googling it, I am positive that noone is flying that flag around here.

Not to be too much of a contrarian, I just wanted to clear up what I see as some stereotypical misconceptions.

I almost stopped and shot some photos as I drove through, so I could post them on here, but I was running late, and it was very hot outside.

If anyone wants more information about Muldraugh, or photos of the actual place, I could get some pretty easily and post them on here. 

I live about 25 minutes drive away from Muldraugh, in Louisville. I drove through it while on the way to a family reunion last Summer. I'm not sure it fits well in to "Kentucky Culture".

It's really more "Rural MidWest Culture" than "Southern Culture", because it's rather Northern Kentucky, and it's just a skip up the Dixie Highway that runs through and you're in West End Louisville. A couple Miles up Dixie Highway and you're surrounded by strip clubs and grime. 

Muldraugh is basically just a little bump on a Highway surrounded by Fort Knox Military Base on the outskirts of a major Metropolitan City, with farmland on the other side. Noone is making Moonshine in Muldraugh. It's not Appalachian. 

Also, I have no idea what the Kentucky State Flag looks like without Google, and after Googling it, I am positive that noone is flying that flag around here.

Not to be too much of a contrarian, I just wanted to clear up what I see as some stereotypical misconceptions.

I almost stopped and shot some photos as I drove through, so I could post them on here, but I was running late, and it was very hot outside.

If anyone wants more information about Muldraugh, or photos of the actual place, I could get some pretty easily and post them on here. 

You're hardly being a contrarian here; just stating opinion. My experience in Kentucky, and with my family there is just a tad different. My relatives there are very proud of their state, it's history, and regularly raise the flag of Kentucky on their front lawns. Granted, some of the larger cities and areas in Kentucky usually aren't like this, but this is just what I've been able to tell. As per moonshine? Well, let's just say that not everyone obeys the laws. A still in the garage is a pretty easy thing to accomplish, if it's not being hidden in the woods.

Then again, Kentucky is a state of notable size, and it's well known that even in the smallest of places different cultures and subcultures can develop. Perhaps if the PZ version of Muldraugh could show the different facets of Kentucky? I think that would be interesting.

Google Street View has the game area covered extensively, if you want to see what it's actually like without driving over.

Thank you for the reference! Though the PZ version of Muldraugh has it's fair share of unique buildings, and I think it'd be a good idea to include the different facets of Kentucky's culture in such a place. Though like those before me have said, I'm a bit afraid of stereotypes of the area, or just stereotypes of the 'typical American.' When these things are hardly that simple. I think the culture of the state would add to the realism. 

My thing.

You're hardly being a contrarian here; just stating opinion. My experience in Kentucky, and with my family there is just a tad different. My relatives there are very proud of their state, it's history, and regularly raise the flag of Kentucky on their front lawns. Granted, some of the larger cities and areas in Kentucky usually aren't like this, but this is just what I've been able to tell. As per moonshine? Well, let's just say that not everyone obeys the laws. A still in the garage is a pretty easy thing to accomplish, if it's not being hidden in the woods.

Then again, Kentucky is a state of notable size, and it's well known that even in the smallest of places different cultures and subcultures can develop. Perhaps if the PZ version of Muldraugh could show the different facets of Kentucky? I think that would be interesting.

Yeah, I'm just saying from being through the actual place that they are placing the game. I guess it's "fictionalish", so it's not THE MULDRAUGH, but it's really a place, and it's the place they chose for the game. I've been there. It's not like a hillbilly moonshine place. It's a bit more of a military lower-class redneck place. Bump on a trashy outer-metropolitan highway.

I think that putting in culture details has more value to the people who know the area. Me being from the Netherlands, i have no idea what the place looks like, how the culture of Muldraigh or its surroundings is. Even when the implementation of the culture would be more in the direction of stereotypes, in my opinion it will have more value or meaning for the ones who are familiar with it or can familiarise themselfs with it.

Seen the fact that the game is world wide distributed, i am not sure if the extra work of adding culture based experiences is worth it. Still, its a nice subject of debate :).

A couple Miles up Dixie Highway and you're surrounded by strip clubs and grime.

I want this in game :)

Me too, man. I was on my way down Dixie Highway, and going through this area... knowing how close I am to Muldraugh... and I said to my girlfriend who was with me... "Oh, man... you could just walk a dozen miles and fight zombies in a bunch of stripclubs"....

If they put cars in the game... there's no way Louisville can't be part of the game... Unless they totally abandoned the reality of the place that they chose... I think it seemed "rural" to them. But seriously... it's right outside of a city. It's not the middle of nowhere. There would BE A HUGE MIGRATION of zombies coming down the main road through Muldraugh.

I don't know if they realized that they picked a location that was a 25 minute drive from where Return of the Living Dead fictionally took place and was filmed. I could be in the the cemetary that Return of the Living Dead was shot in in 15 minutes, and then get to Muldraugh within the hour.  

Best part was they nuked Louisville at the end of the movie.