Some ideas for bandages

quackquackquack

I was thinking, the green text that shows up when you bandage yourself shouldn't stay there indefinitely. For minor wounds you should only have to leave the bandage on for a few days, after which the text should disappear.

A few people on the general forums had some good ideas as well. For more serious wounds you should have to change the bandage every day or two, or risk infection. After maybe 1-2 weeks the wound should be healed enough to make the 'bandaged' text go away. Deep cuts (such as from broken glass) should have to be stitched as well. You should also have to disinfect wounds prior to bandaging, perhaps with rubbing alcohol? I realize that disinfectants aren't in the game yet, but it would make a cool addition.

Thoughts? Ideas?

You'd need warm water to get and old bandage off as well, because after a few days the blood in the bandage has become part of the scab over the wound and removing it without soaking it first would open the wound and make it start bleeding again. I also think that there should be a separate tracker for blood in the body, because for some reason having loss of blood be represented as a damage to your health bar just doesn't seem right to me.

I don't really like the idea of stiching wounds, but changing the bandages and not wearing them forever is really good... I hope the devs will note that and add it at some point in the future... One bad apect of it would be that ideas like this would make it harder for PZ-beginners - but this isn't a problem once a tutorial is re-implemented.

I'm liking the idea for a seperate blood counter.... maybe a medical skill could be added as well, for more speedy healing from injuries/illness. Players with a higher medicine skill could also diagnose illness, be it food poisoning or a simple cold. I'm not really sure how you'd level it up though, maybe by treating injured/sick NPC's when they are re-added?

I kinda like the injuries sticking around. I think they should probably change from "bandaged" to "healed" but keeping track of old wounds is nice- like scars. Reminds you of where you've been.

I'm not sure a blood counter is really relevant- how many times would it be noticeably distinguishable from the current system we have? Normally I'm either absolutely eaten alive when stuck in a horde (in which case it would be irrelevant because you're dying right away), I get bitten and then turn (which would be irrelevant because you're infected and the wound and the blood could heal but you won't), or I get very badly damaged and then die (in which case again... it doesn't particularly matter whether it's blood loss or actual physical damage, in both cases I'm dying regardless).

I just fail to see where it would have a meaningful impact on the game, plus adding more UI clutter which I'm never a huge fan of.

I suppose it's one of those matters that happen to fall into gameplay and story segregation. The devs have noted they want the game to be as realistic as possible, and having a blood supply would certainly help contribute to that, but you'd need some way to indicate your level of blood loss without it being tacked onto the UI or being too much of a hassle to program and implement.

I kinda figured that it would be a moodle, with increasing levels affecting your ability to accomplish tasks properly and how easily you become exhausted, with the lower levels having you pass out altogether during heavy exertion and the lowest level killing you outright regardless of the amount of health you have.

Moodles are only meant to be visual representations of things that a person would know but it's hard for us to see without being the character (I.E. being cold). I'm not sure blood loss would play into that (you might know you're not feeling well, or that you're badly injured, but that's already represented). I feel like I'm not being clear... hmmm. It's not something that you would just know yourself offhand, especially say... a day after a major wound, you'd likely have no idea how much blood you'd lost.

I can see how it would make for a decent amount of realism as a system (outside of moodles) though. If anything I'd like to see:

*The moodle for damage going away. It should already be tied into pain. Pain let's us know how damaged we are in real life and should in the game as well.

* The graph for health being solely how much damage the body has taken. It does not go down over time unless we're sick (aka doesn't go down from a wound except as the wound is dealt- no bleeding or damage over time unless it's being exacerbated by bothering the wounded area ala running while hurt legs, carrying a lot while hurt back, etc).

* A separate graph for blood that solely shows the current amount of blood the player has (on the health screen). This only goes down if currently bleeding. Bandaging stops bleeding unless the wound is massive- for large wounds, bandages can slow bleeding or a tourniquet could stop bleeding.

* Four levels of "blood."

-Full: Player functioning normally.

-Low: Player has lost some blood. Perception and strength slightly impaired.

-Critical: Player has lost a critical amount of blood. Perception and strength impaired. Player passes out if he reaches the "exhausted" state of exertion.

-Empty: Player dies of blood loss.

sounds like hitting critical means death, if you pass out in the middle of being chased or pass out and blood keeps flowing due to not being bandaged you are done for. It sounds like a cool system but shouldn't empty go by a different name since people die before they are actually empty, losing only 40% can be fatal. I understand if it is just to make things easier to understand though

Ya I was trying to get a better name than empty but nothing came to mind. Drained? Dunno, I'm open to suggestions. If someone can think of something better let me know. The technical term is "exsanguinated" but I'm not sure if that's a very "accessible" term.

Ya I was trying to get a better name than empty but nothing came to mind. Drained? Dunno, I'm open to suggestions. If someone can think of something better let me know. The technical term is "exsanguinated" but I'm not sure if that's a very "accessible" term.

Maybe just  "Moderate blood loss", "severe blood loss" ect...