Problem on Startup (64 bit version, Standalone download from Desura)

carlover177

Question

I get this error whenever I launch:

java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: zombie.gameStates.MainScreenState
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.exe4j.runtime.WinLauncher.main(Unknown Source)

I'm running this on Windows 8 with a laptop.

11 answers to this question

The first error seems to indicate trouble with paths, such as the bat file starting in C:\Windows\System32 instead of the Project Zomboid folder.

According to Win8's task manager readout, the memory use doesn't change AT ALL when launching PZ. I can't use Steam on this tablet (no admin rights), so Steam is out of the question.

Either way, the system isn't able to allocate enough memory to start the  game. How much RAM to you have available on your system and how much of it is free to use by other programs?

Assuming the .bat was dragged to the desktop or something, and assuming it can be run from the correct folder instead, that might fix the memory issue as well? With nothing to allocate memory to, perhaps that's the reason memory isn't being allocated? Just a thought, not entirely sure what order things go in for .bat files.

It's a laptop that can be turned into a tablet (the screen is detachable, but with it attached it's just like a normal laptop). 

And I will check out that .bat file.

EDIT: Found this error

Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.
Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.
Unrecognized option: --XX:MaxGCPauseMillis=3

Also, tried editing the .bat file by turning to .txt, putting changes in, and turning bat to .bat.
Still doesn't work.

Urgh, very odd. That error is pretty useless like the first one unfortunately- in plain terms, it just says "oh no, there's been an error!"

I'm, frankly, baffled. I'll see if I can't maybe get some brighter minds on it (and maybe someone who actually uses Windows XD)

The error itself isn't really telling much in itself.

There should be more messages above and under the message you posted.

Maybe gekkobear's answer in this thread helps ya out a bit:

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2832-game-crashes-after-playing-for-a-few-minutes/

Welcome, hope you get to play & enjoy the game.

First; there's some info required to try to troubleshoot...
What are your system specs (CPU, RAM, Video card, etc.)

Are you getting any errors in the console or logs?   And there are ways to get extra logs... which I'll go into shortly.

Second; having said that... now I'll ignore myself and try troubleshooting blindly.
Because that's the sort of Computer guy I am. :P

There is an issue I and some others have had where (depending on system specs) the game requires more RAM for Java than the Java defaults will allow; so you end up with a Java "OutOfMemory" error that crashes the game.  I'll pretend that's what you're seeing.

Which is sad, and disappointing; and if you're ok running the game outside of Steam... totally fixable.
You'll end up running a lightly modified batch file from a batch file they provided (so it's pretty normal).

http://theindiestone.com/forums/index.php/topic/2620-bugs-build-17-0010/page-2#entry39285

Now my system is integrated video, dual core, with 8Gb of RAM... so I had a lot of ram to play with and decide to allow the game 4Gb.  If you've only got say 4GB you might shutter at 2048 instead of 4096 in the change at the link provided.

I tend run actually run at 1.3-1.4Gb of memory used for the ProjectZomboid process with this batch file; but I don't get hardly any lag; and my crashing issues stopped.

IF this doesn't help (and it very well may not help) it WILL give you more info to provide.  you'll get an error logfile (I called it err64.txt, you can change that in the bat file) which dumps into the Steam Project Zomboid folder... and with a logfile it's a lot more likely you'll get more detailed and specific help. :)

If it's not too much trouble, do the following (from this thread):

In the start menu, type Edit the System Environment Variables.

See if you have a _JAVA_OPTIONS variable.

If you do, delete it (though you might want to keep a note of whatever it says).

You may have to type "Edit environment variables for your account" instead since you don't have admin rights.

If you don't have _JAVA_OPTIONS in there, then never mind.

Ok, my specs are:

CPU: Processor Intel® Core i5-3437U CPU @ 1.90GHz, 2401 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)

RAM: 4GB
Some sort of integrated graphics, since this is a laptop I was issued.

And those were the only errors i got in the error.log file.

EDIT: I also found this log:
#
# There is insufficient memory for the Java Runtime Environment to continue.
# Native memory allocation (malloc) failed to allocate 24 bytes for AllocateHeap
# Possible reasons:
#   The system is out of physical RAM or swap space
#   In 32 bit mode, the process size limit was hit
# Possible solutions:
#   Reduce memory load on the system
#   Increase physical memory or swap space
#   Check if swap backing store is full
#   Use 64 bit Java on a 64 bit OS
#   Decrease Java heap size (-Xmx/-Xms)
#   Decrease number of Java threads
#   Decrease Java thread stack sizes (-Xss)
#   Set larger code cache with -XX:ReservedCodeCacheSize=
# This output file may be truncated or incomplete.
#
#  Out of Memory Error (memory/allocation.inline.hpp:60), pid=7724, tid=5296
#
# JRE version: 7.0_25-b17
# Java VM: Java HotSpot Server VM (23.25-b01 mixed mode windows-x86 )
# Failed to write core dump. Minidumps are not enabled by default on client versions of Windows
#

This is almost certainly because it's maxing at your RAM. Reallocating more memory to the JVM may help. To test, open your Windows-version-of-activity-monitor-thingy and see how much RAM PZ is trying to use. If you see it spike to 100%/4 GB RAM it's probably because you're actually running out of memory; if it's not using 100%, I can send you an updated .bat file that will allocate more memory (the same one gekkobear posted). I get a bit hazy with which version is on Desura, but I believe the Steam version has this fixed if you can access the Steam version. If not, you may just have to wait a bit for the Desura stable version to get updated.

Archived