Inventory Management - Fun vs. Realism

kweli

Ive played about 12 hours of this game and so far im really liking it.  Game has massive potential but there are some things that will hold it back from major success......

Inventory Management - It just takes too long to shuffle everything around.  

Just filling a bowl with water takes a while:

1) take it out of your bag into your main inventory

2) fill it with water

3) move it back into your bag OR into a storage location

Picking stuff from zombies or a house is just a test of patience.. why not a "All items near you"...

Moving safe houses is such a choir that I don't even try anymore

Maybe im wrong though, maybe people like these kind of micromanagement of inventory.. Diablo was famous for it, but even that was fairly painless... and by painless, i mean it wasn't a timesink

Personally I like the grid inventory method, you keep the weight and items have a size and shape you need to fit into you pack, that way if you get lots of big light items your pack might be full but leave you still running at a whim but with a few heavy but small items you might have a half full pack but your just crawling everywhere, rather than this infinitely stretchable pack we got now, for example I had a normal hiking pack and had 3 shotguns(not sawed off) and 4 axes in it, there is no pack in the world that should be able hold that

Personally I like the grid inventory method, you keep the weight and items have a size and shape you need to fit into you pack, that way if you get lots of big light items your pack might be full but leave you still running at a whim but with a few heavy but small items you might have a half full pack but your just crawling everywhere, rather than this infinitely stretchable pack we got now, for example I had a normal hiking pack and had 3 shotguns(not sawed off) and 4 axes in it, there is no pack in the world that should be able hold that

I was thinking about this, it would be the best way to go for realism, but it may be a very un-fun feature.

you would have to undo the "packing" timer bit too it would be rolled into the grid method after all if you have to manually place it into your pack you are packing it already you wouldn't need the timer, it would also make it so that those people who carefully pack their bags can have quick grab items for emergancys

The size of the grids for the packs as well as if there would be multiple grids for some packs(hiking packs had some big ones and small ones too), if there would be an "unlimited size" 1 item holder (a "camping" pack I have has a place where you can strap in a tent kit or sleeping bag ), as well as the size and shape of the items to be found.

The worst "unpacking" timer I can think of is the one on pot of water. I'm sitting there, counting the minutes away...1....2....

Items do take a while to fill in real life.

No, I mean taking it out from you're storage bag. (hiking bag, etc.)

Depends on how you pack your bag but it can take forever to find stuff. 

We planned to add a skill for unpacking, the more xp you have in it, the faster is the pack/unpacking.

I can see it in real life, I'm a guy, so I do lot of mess in my stuff, but my girl friend always know where stuff are packed, and take them fast, she's like a tetris champion... It's the difference between someone organized, and someone not :D

We planned to add a skill for unpacking, the more xp you have in it, the faster is the pack/unpacking.

I can see it in real life, I'm a guy, so I do lot of mess in my stuff, but my girl friend always know where stuff are packed, and take them fast, she's like a tetris champion... It's the difference between someone organized, and someone not :D

Would be cool if the park ranger would get a boost to this.

Wait, why ? :D

Ranger doesn't mean Chuck Norris :D

Park rangers are supposedly expert outdoorsmen and thus have experience in travelling with and packing backpacks. For IRL hiking, inventory management is a fairly valuable skill, although even more valuable is to not carry all the crap with you in the first place....

Mainly as a ranger would have to pack a backpack very often.

I don't mind the timesink as it's part of the realism. I just ask that they clean up the interface. That alone would cut so much time out of it that it'd likely address the issue you have with it.

Packing time will be balanced in the beta and the inventory will get upgraded/overhauled.