Walling In

Jatta Pake

Newboid Question #148:

"Walling In" is a term for a tactic from another Dwarf Fortress inspired game called Gnomoria.  Basically, it means building walls around your settlement to prevent bad guys - Goblins, Mants, etc. - from being able to attack your Gnomes.  It cuts you off from the rest of the map but it will keep your group alive if you have enough sustainable area for food and drink.  Eventually you develop a gate mechanism that allows you to open it for immigrant Gnomes while creating a kill zone for the baddies.

Can you "wall in" in PZ?  Build a big wall around your safehouse with land for crops and rain barrels for water?  Without any doors, the zombies would never be able to get in, right?

That's what I did... it's a pretty common tactic, in fact I can't really think of any other way other than just barricading yourself in your house, which is less effective than having walls surrounding your house. You can have as many doors as you want, because as far as I know zombies cannot open doors unless you specify that in sandbox mode. 

Well, technically you can find a two story house, destroy the stairs, and access only by sheet rope and no zombies will be able to get in...

However I don't believe there are any two story structures with grass in them, so you would have to venture out for food eventually

Well, technically you can find a two story house, destroy the stairs, and access only by sheet rope and no zombies will be able to get in...

However I don't believe there are any two story structures with grass in them, so you would have to venture out for food eventually

you cannot destroy the game generated stair i tried :P

you cannot destroy the game generated stair i tried :P

with the next update you might "You can now destroy non-player made stairs."  clickme

I think we need the ability to make a simple bridge.  For example, you fortify you a nice little place.

http://pzmap.crash-override.net/#0.5370808297612206,0.18244214603148792,90.67321602137328

The build a tower right next to it with a 1 square gap at the top.  Then have the ability to put a bridge over the gap (a door with a sheet rope would do it -- hinges on the bottom ftw).

I guess we could build an outdoor stair with a 1 square gap and then just destroy it when the deadheads come a callin.

That said, can zombies destroy items to get to a door?  For instance, I put a water barrel in front of a barricaded door.  Can they get to the door to break it down?

At the moment zombies would appear inside the walls even without an entrance, with the way things work, since a lot of players report having zombies appear in there walled in areas.

If you have a fort with assets, then you need to wall off the bailey.  Lets get Mideval with the defenses because, that is basically where we are.

1.  Select a fortification site near supplies.  Nails are hard to come by, but trees are not.

2.  Secure your fort.  If you can walk thru a door then the enemy can to.

• Barricade all entrance/exits except your primary entrance and postern gate (see postern gate below).
  • Give yourself clear fields of fire at the enemy (sure it will bring more, but you have to survive the first wave to worry about the second!)
  • Placing rain barrel in front of windows/door give another layer of protection
  • You can set ONE sting of barbwire up beneath a window and it DOES NOT require stakes.  So while Zed is hammer at the window, he is getting slowed and scratched.  Not saying this will kill them, but it does slow them down.
  • Store up for siege... because if may just happen.

3.  Create your outer wall

4.  Put the main entrance to your fort at least 90 degress off from the gate in your outer wall.

5.  Segment your baily (the area between the wall and your fort).  Put your gates in the baily at alternate intervals.

6.  You need a way in AND a way out.  Your way out need to be smaller and SUPER secure.  This is usually called the Postern Gate.  Make a single path from your fort, directly to the outside of your outer wall.  A multi-story fort means you can use a rope to get down and then get out.

7.  Add additional layers of protection to existing entrances including false doors, double backs, etc.  Turn you simple entrance into a gate house, create double loops outside.  You have not given them a straight shot to your fort entrance, do the same with your outer wall.  This could go so far as making a NEW outer wall, giving five layers of protection (outer wall, outer baily, inner wall, inner baily and your fort) instead of just three.

8.  Never leave a door open, except when you are going through it.  Defenses don't do you any good if you are just going to let the bad guys waltz on in.

Now, if some zombie(s) appear inside your walls, they are trapped within one segment of your baily.  Sure they may make a mess of things, but at least that mess is contained.

Archived