Crawler's Phantom Reach?

PlasticandRage

Is it just me or do crawlers seem to be able to damage you from well outside their sprite's justifiable reach? I'm not just trying to wine about accidentally getting bitten here, or anything like that, but it honestly seems to me like they're able to damage you from being much too far away. I was just damaged by one, not bitten or scratched, but damaged, from a good 4 feet away and down a flight of stairs. I walked up a flight of stairs, noticed the shadow of a body at the top, started to back away slowly, he lunged, I sprinted into the corner of the room downstairs, saw his lunge land from essentially across the room, and the pain moodle appeared. What could I have done about that? It's not the first time I've experienced something like that either, though it's definitely the most pronounced. I personally think their reach requires a little tweaking.

I'd even go so far as to say I like the way they work. The whole hide and lunge thing brings so much to the table in adding tension to the game. I've personally had quite a few scares and close calls because of it. I'm just sick of getting tagged by them from way far away. It just seems like the damage window from their attacks is much too large to be realistic, especially with the lunge. There've just been too many times now that I've walked up on one, knew it was there, knew it was a crawler and not just a body, stayed well away from it, and taken damage anyway.

The combination of that and their occasional wonky spawning inside walls can be downright brutal too. I can't be the only one whose been attacked by them through walls.

I understand the devs have a lot to deal with too, and I'm not trying to make demands here. I'm just a little frustrated and venting. Just for the record.

I just got bitten in the crotch by a ranged crawler. The graphics clearly didn't connect with my survivor's wang and yet I'm zombifying right now. To add insult to injury, I had a pretty good run, getting the large warehouse boarded up and all that long-term stuff.

I've never really had an issue with crawlers. Just stay away from the scratchy / bitey end and attack them from the sides or rear. They've got a very slow and wide turning circle...

Be that as it may, their phantom reach is there and becomes problematic if you relax at all. The first time I realized this bug, I lost a character due to it because I was being lax about killing some upright zeds in a cramped living room; instead of running back and going to a more defensible point, I gave myself more time than I actually had to kill the zeds, the whole time keeping an eye on an approaching crawler. Much to my chagrin, after killing the zeds, I had been bitten by the crawler despite him being a few feet away and out of arm's reach. All in all, it's a motif you find in this game and the Zombie Apocalypse genre; that one rarely lets their guard down and escapes death. Regardless, I'm sure The Indie Stone will deal with the crawler's phantom reach attack. And Gonzo is right, flanking walkers is super easy but their niche is getting you by surprise, me thinks.

I want to be able to get an empty wiskey bottle, a bandage, powdered detergent and some gas from one of those pumps.  Start making poor mans napalm and burning some of these guys down.  High grass, gone.  Building full of zed?  Toss in a bottle, close the door and break out the marshmellows.  Street full of deadhead?  Toss the Goddess of Fire into the mix and watch them flail around.

Are molotovs working again? It just occurred to me that I haven't tried to make one since fire made its return. If they are, you may be able to do exactly that.

I've never really had an issue with crawlers. Just stay away from the scratchy / bitey end and attack them from the sides or rear. They've got a very slow and wide turning circle...

Keep playing. It'll happen. I felt the same way for awhile, but it's only a matter of time until you get cheesed to death.

Are molotovs working again? It just occurred to me that I haven't tried to make one since fire made its return. If they are, you may be able to do exactly that.

Keep playing. It'll happen. I felt the same way for awhile, but it's only a matter of time until you get cheesed to death.

Oh, I've had my knob bitten off with the best of them, no doubt! :)

I've died from so many phantom crawler attacks its ridiculous. Crawlers will awake and scratch me when I'm like it's body length away from it (two cells). The worst on was when I was at the bottom of the stairs and it was at the very top.

Crawlers are also a pain in the ass to kill because they keep doing their attack animation after you hit them. If you can knock them out of it, so they're laying flat on the ground, you're super lucky. The best way to kill crawler is to attack them from the side.

Archived