Cooking

Strider

Below is a list of recipes that have already been suggested :) I'll try and keep it updated and see if it gathers interest.

Chicken Stew

Full_Soup_bowl.png + Chicken.png + Carrots.png + Potato.png.

Loaf of Bread

Water + Flour + Sugar

Strawberry Jam

Fruit + Berries + Sugar 

Chicken Dumplings

Water + Chicken + Flour + Butter

Baked Potato

Potato + Butter

Fried Tomatoes

Pan + Tomatoes

Banana Split

Banana + Ice Cream + Chocolate

Multi-vitamin Juice

Cup + Hammer + Fruit

Potato Salad

Potatoes + Onion + Spices

Chocolate Milkshake

Ice Cream + Chocolate + Milk

French Fries

Knife + Potato + Lard/Cooking Oil

Hot Chocolate

Milk + Chocolate

Flatbread / Pizza Base

Self-Raising Flour + Yoghurt

Energy Bars

Berries + Oats

Yeah, I think chicken stew is already in. Install crafting helper. It shows you what is available by right clicking any given item.

edit: Also, quite a few of these dishes would need to be cooked in fat or oil. Since fat would be in short supply you'd need a substitute. Not knowing anything about this, I thought this was a good option?

http://www.instructables.com/id/Grow-Your-Own-Cooking-Oil/

So I've been wanting to have a look at some of the code files and see if I can try my hand at making a modification of my own but have lacked for original ideas, and I think the game is pretty much awesome as it is. This thread has given me a source of really simple good ideas for me to try out, so here we go. Wish me luck! Hopefully I'll come back with a fried egg and a baked potato.

So I've been wanting to have a look at some of the code files and see if I can try my hand at making a modification of my own but have lacked for original ideas, and I think the game is pretty much awesome as it is. This thread has given me a source of really simple good ideas for me to try out, so here we go. Wish me luck! Hopefully I'll come back with a fried egg and a baked potato.

It's pretty easy to add them: you need two things.

A recipe and the specific modifiers for the food.

I'll use Fried Tomatoes as an example.

The recipe would be as follows:

recipe Fried Tomatoes	{	   destroy Tomatoes,	   FryingPan,	   Result:FriedTomatoes,	   Time:500.0,	}

Then you need to define the food itself like this:

item FriedTomatoes	{		HungerChange	  =	-30,		BoredomChange	  =	0,		UnhappyChange	  =	0,		StressChange	  =	0,		ThirstChange	  =	10,		Weight	          =     0.3,		Type	          =     Food,		IsCookable	  =	FALSE,		DangerousUncooked =	FALSE,		DaysTotallyRotten =	3,		MinutesToBurn	  =	30,		DisplayName	  =	Fried Tomatoes,		Icon	          =     FriedTomatoes.png,		DaysFresh	  =	5,		MinutesToCook	  =	15,	}

It's pretty easy to add them: you need two things.

A recipe and the specific modifiers for the food.

I'll use Fried Tomatoes as an example.

The recipe would be as follows:

recipe Fried Tomatoes	{	   destroy Tomatoes,	   FryingPan,	   Result:FriedTomatoes,	   Time:500.0,	}

Then you need to define the food itself like this:

item FriedTomatoes	{		HungerChange	  =	-30,		BoredomChange	  =	0,		UnhappyChange	  =	0,		StressChange	  =	0,		ThirstChange	  =	10,		Weight	          =     0.3,		Type	          =     Food,		IsCookable	  =	FALSE,		DangerousUncooked =	FALSE,		DaysTotallyRotten =	3,		MinutesToBurn	  =	30,		DisplayName	  =	Fried Tomatoes,		Icon	          =     FriedTomatoes.png,		DaysFresh	  =	5,		MinutesToCook	  =	15,	}

That's all good stuff. I'd like to make a suggestion though. Sweet and cooked food generally give a happiness bonus. Might not be a big one, but a bonus of some kind. See the other foods to see what I mean.

If making a folder in your Documents folder, whatever the exact directory for it is, is too complex (it wouldn't be worth the time to me, as that requires creating a mod.info and such), you can always add it to your game's directory itself. The script for the item would go in the media\scripts folder, in a standard .txt file. The recipe would also go in a standard .txt file, same directory. I'm assuming they can't be the SAME file, so one for the cooked item(s), and one for the recipe(s). Also, I wouldn't go directly adding these to the pre-existing items.txt or recipes.txt as your additions will be wiped when it updates next.

Edit to add: Important. The files MUST be structured like this:

module Base

{

(everything else in the file goes here)

}

...else the game may overlook it.

Thanks all. I figured it out in the end and made a "Fried Egg" mod as a first trial. I made the egg cookable in the frying pan, but the only problem is that the egg in the pan is a food item and doesn't have a condition, so that when you eat the egg and get the pan back, it's a brand new pan and doesn't preserve the condition of the pan before you cooked the egg. I guess I'll have to dig into the lua files and learn some more about that, which isn't so bad.

One thing which is a bit of a limitation, and might need to be reviewed, is that you can cook things in ovens without cooking utensils, so that a frying pan with an egg in it is actually a food item. Also, the food item doesn't change into a different item when it is cooked, so you can't do things like take the raw egg out of the pan to make a raw egg item as opposed to taking a fried egg out of the pan to make a fried egg item.

Just some things to work around I guess.

Good work Gus, I'll look to try this out soon. I don't think anyone is going to notice or indeed care about the pan durability. The reason I say this is, the only reason someone replaces a pan is because of aesthetics. How often do you replace a pan because it's broken?

They could.

Don't you think that it's perhaps a fault of the game that a frying pan would break after frying an egg in the first place. I don't think games should be exploitable but is such a workaround really going to hurt the game?

I don't think it is. Like I said, you shouldn't be able to hurt a pan by frying an egg in it. Hell, I don't intend on replacing my cookware unless I have to.

edit: there is a small issue here. You don't want the frying pan (as a weapon) to have massive durability stats and yet as a frying pan. You want it to last you a lifetime.

You're misunderstanding Strider. The problem is that when you cook an egg, the pan becomes a "new" pan. It doesn't lose any durability at all from being cooked with. The issue arises because when used in the recipe it is technically "used up" and then replaced with a new pan object.

You're misunderstanding Strider. The problem is that when you cook an egg, the pan becomes a "new" pan. It doesn't lose any durability at all from being cooked with. The issue arises because when used in the recipe it is technically "used up" and then replaced with a new pan object.

I'll say it again........

Surely a suggestion shouldn't be criticised because of an inadequately coded cooking system? 

You're misunderstanding Strider. The problem is that when you cook an egg, the pan becomes a "new" pan.

I'm not sure it's me who does not understand Rathlord. Yes, I do understand the durability is renewed. My point is, when performing this task it has little or nothing to do with durability because, as I attested to earlier, frying eggs doesn't hurt a frying pan. 

Let me put it another way. How many eggs do you think you'd have to fry in order to break a frying pan?

I agree that this could be exploited but I'm not sure to what end. Could this be the frying pan of unlimited truths. The pan with unlimited durability taken from Smaug the dragon deep beneath frying pan mountain?

Even if you were to use it as a weapon you'd be mad when there are far superior weapons. Gus has created a basic mod (his first I believe) and I'm all for it because 1. I want to see improvements to the game. 2. I CBA to mod myself.

It doesn't lose any durability at all from being cooked with. The issue arises because when used in the recipe it is technically "used up" and then replaced with a new pan object.

Yes, that's perfectly clear to me.

Combine a banana, icecream and some chocolate. There you go: A banana split!

Combine one of all fruits, an empty cup and a hammer. Voilà: A multi-vitamin-juice that helps when being sick.

You can find potato salad in the game but you can't make some by yourself? Just take your hammer or knife, some potatos, onions and/or spices and put everything into a bowl

There is a recipe for potato salad and veggie potato salad already in the game...

**kinda spoilery; I'm doing this from memory having looked in the file (I'm not going to bother to look again & get it 100% accurate though so maybe not the worst spoiler).

you need potatoes (2?) mayo (half a jar) an egg, some cabbage (don't ask me), and I think bacon bits *(6 or 8 cooked?) or tomatoes (2 again?) depending on regular or veggie potato salad.

You'll also need a bowl and a cooking knife.

bacon bits are: Cut bacon to 4 rashers, cut each rasher to 3 bits, needs a knife.

I wasn't disparaging the suggestion and I'm not sure how you got that idea? I was just trying to make clear why that was a problem that would likely need solving at some point. I really have no idea why you think I'm criticizing the suggestion, I never even hinted at that =\

Strider I'm obviously referring to it being used as a weapon, though. If you're having trouble finding other weapons, or if it's late game and you've already broken a large amount, it becomes somewhat of a big deal. The frying pan isn't a bad weapon, either. My point is that it's a loophole and that it will need to be closed eventually- I'm not saying anything bad about his first attempt at modding, it's much better than mine was. I think maybe you need to reread what I said.