Persony Persony Rhymey Timey

lemmy101

He may have mastered the representation of light and shadow with the use of oil-based paints, but he's got no idea what, or where, Hill Valley is - nor what to wear at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance on the coming Saturday Night except some painted clogs.

Excellent work Nick! I was barking up the wrong tree and probably would've continued to do so for quite some time...

It never even occurred to me that clogs was a reference to his nationality hence my convoluted Caravaggio guess!

Oh! I actually thought the 'j' was silent and the name was pronounced "Van Rinn", which is why I rhymed it with 'travellin'.

So that's something new learnt today! Yesterday I learnt that sometimes if a thing looks like a very simple maze, it could in fact be rows at a tea plantation. ;)

I thought Tennant had this one solved, tbh. The French 'Boucher' to English 'Clog' connection was incredible!

Oh! I actually thought the 'j' was silent and the name was pronounced "Van Rinn", which is why I rhymed it with 'travellin'.

Oh, I guess you could be right! I had always thought 'Ryne', the internet is a little unclear on this, but it looks like I might have been wrong ... (oops)

I thought Tennant had this one solved, tbh. The French 'Boucher' to English 'Clog' connection was incredible!

Yeah, absolutely incredible. Perhaps I should have pretended that was the intention all along. If only I was that smart, huh?

Yeah, absolutely incredible. Perhaps I should have pretended that was the intention all along. If only I was that smart, huh?

As much as I appreciate the commendations, my only French link to clog was when I turned it into sabot in the Caravaggio guess (a French clog from which the word saboteur comes from). If you mean that 'boucher' is to cork or plug, that was unintended and only discovered as I googled boucher after reading your post!!

But, cheers Mendonca on a great riddle. Am enjoying the education as much as the attempts at solving! Although, I think Rejn is more like 'rain' than rinn or rine! But that makes it work if you say it all in a Geordie accent!

I know a Dutch guy called Reyn, and he pronounces that like Rine (sort of), so Rijn probably does sound something quite like rain.

Next one:

"Holy sail boats, Bruce! That's a strange looking vessel you've aquired. It's like two thin ones joined together!", exclaimed his plucky young sidekick.