Sign in to follow this  
cmkb3

Bleach for Water Purification

Per:

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

https://www.clorox.com/how-to/disinfecting-sanitizing/disaster-preparation-and-cleanup/disaster-preparedness-purifying-water/

Bleach can be used as an emergency water purifier at a ratio of 1 tsp (~5mL) to 5 gallons (for particularly nasty/cloudy/cold water. Regular water purification requires half of this amount). This could provide a quicker (non-renewable) way to purify quantities of water.

One thing to note is that bleach is not as effective as boiling in killing parasites -- this would be most notable is trying to purify lake or river water. This should most likely not be a consideration for rain water.

Edited by cmkb3

I'm sure, that drinking rain water in real should not be a problem, if the collecting vessel is clean. This should be implemented. 

For the river water: I would heat the water up - this should make it drinkable. 

I'm not quite sure for what kind of water bleach could be used - water from mud puddles? :)

Edit: It should also be possible to clean water by adding a little amount of high percentage alcohol. 

Edited by Thuztor

13 hours ago, Thuztor said:

I'm sure, that drinking rain water in real should not be a problem, if the collecting vessel is clean. This should be implemented. 

For the river water: I would heat the water up - this should make it drinkable. 

I'm not quite sure for what kind of water bleach could be used - water from mud puddles? :)

Edit: It should also be possible to clean water by adding a little amount of high percentage alcohol. 

In previous discussions about tainted water, devs/support team have stated that they are following CDC guidelines for potable water -- the CDC does not consider rain water to be potable, see: https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/drinking/private/rainwater-collection.html

As far as adding alcohol water to 'clean' it -- unfortunately, I am unable to find any information that adding alcohol to water has any sterilizing or purifying properties. While low levels of alcohol % can help extend the amount of time that already purified water remains potable, it is not a reliable way to clean water.

On 1/12/2020 at 3:49 AM, Thuztor said:

That wouldn't clean the water, that just dilutes your alcohol. Alcohol needs to be at least 50% to be effective at sterilizing anything.

You're right, it won't clean the water, it would disinfect the water and kills viruses, bacteria and fungi. 

And in my language is high percentage alcohol above 50%, so I'm not sure what the difference between "at least 50%" and "high percentage" is for you.