Cairns, Socks, Bleach & other Sundries . . .

DicheBach

Love the loot in this game: enough that it feeds that OCD hoarder/organizer module in the human brain, but not too much that it drives aggravation.

However, there are a lot of items that (so far, with a toon that is mostly in the levels 1 to 3 on skills, though Carpentry is now at like 6?) have no apparent use, even though many of them seem like they WOULD have an use.

For example:

bleach -> seems like you could disinfect bandages and clean stuff just fine with this but nope, not seeing it

socks -> obviously, when it gets cold you put these on, but nope . . .

cairns -> very cool, but does it "do" anything other than look cool / mark a spot?

Lots of other ones, I figured a whole thread to talk about items might be useful. I'll probably think of others too once I play again.

Ah I bet you are right on using socks for lighting campfires! I'll have to try that. Cleaning blood splatters with bleach and at towel!? I will definitely have to try that one!

What about the CD player and the video game? I would think these could be played to reduce boredom/stress, but so far I've not managed to finagle them in my inventory such that I get a right-click "play" option. I MIGHT have managed to do so once very early in playing the game, cannot recall for sure.

Also, what about the radios/TVs? Apart from background noise and scraping them for parts, do they have any real purpose in game play terms?

ADDIT: Just found an item on a zombie I killed in Muldraugh. In the interest of not "spoiling" I won't come right out and say what it was. But lets just say: keeping track of my exploring and scavenging is going to be a helluva lot easier now! Suddenly a use for those pens and pencils (apart from keeping a journal)!

I honestly love this game. It has exactly the kind of fine-grained, nitty-gritty I adore in games.

If I could use this engine to create a Jagged Alliance 3 game, I'd be in game designer heaven. Only adjustment necessary to the core engine would be a turn-based combat system, and that wouldn't seem to be too problematic.

Despite how icky it is, it obviously pays to ALWAYS loot every zombie/corpse. I generally try to lure them so that I can kill them all in little groups (to be able to go back and bury the corpses later, I have health effects of corpses set to high . . .) then loot them and drop most of it in nearby piles. But occasionally you find a very useful rare item on them.

Good idea for a thread to shine some light on these items, altho most of them I think have an actuall use, it might not be as obvious to everyone and sharing the information helps more peaple learn :)

I don't know for sure about the socks for lighting a campfire, but I am 99% sure you can use them as fuel for fire, i.e on a campfire or the "wood" burning stow, whatever it's called.

CD player I think is almost as usefull as the TVs and radios; dismantle it for parts.

TVs and radios is mostly for imersion I think, but the noise should attract zeds so after you've emptyed a house of stuff maybe turn on the tv on full volume to make the zeds go inside instead of roaming about? Not saying you should, just one posible use :P

Also about the item wich should remain a secret (altho it's a well known fact it exists, isn't it?) that is indeed a very usefull item for exploring. Also, you can find them with intresting markings on them, so keep looting them and check, you might stumble on some nice stuff if following the directions! ;)

Downloaded the ItemTweakerAPI mod, along with its "OrganizedItemNames" example and I think I'm gonna use that to start making some changes to items as I see fit: for example, making it possible to disinfect wounds and sterilize bandages with bleach.

Gotta figure out what the keywords are for those functions, but I am betting the wiki or something similar has that stuff.

TVs and radios don't really have any purpose right now other than listening to the game's lore. It'd be cool if in the future there was some other use, like if you could loot a video store, get some VHS tapes to play on your TV as another way to reduce boredom and unhappiness.

Archived