Fix Cabbage Spoiling So Quickly

vonVile

I don't mind the challenge it brings to the game, but really cabbages last forever. Weeks even.

I think temperature should play a part in it though. Warmer/wetter months should mean faster spoilage on everything that's not in a cool/dry place.

This would mean the game would have to take into account elevation, what kind of container it is in, and what month it is. o.o

2 hours ago, vonVile said:

I don't even try to grow Cabbage in the game any more because it all spoils within 2 days after picking, thus making it not worth the hassle.

Maybe your server has time cranked up (1 day = 15 mins) or food spoilage accelerated? I'd also say cabbage lasts (hyperbolically) forever, at least by default.

• 1 month later...

Looking at the wiki, cabbages are indeed listed as stale within 2 days and rotten in 4. This, however, I think is a balancing decision. Look at hunger and thirst value of other farmed goods vs their growing times. You'll note cabbage is unarguably the best raw growable food in terms of hunger, and it gives thirst to boot. It also grows very rapidly. If cabbage didn't spoil so quickly, I'd say it was an overpowered food source compared to the others. The fact that it spoils so quickly is what makes it balanced. If you design your farm schedule and crops well enough, cabbage can provide large amounts of food with short farm turnover times, it just has to be consumed quickly if you don't want it rotten.