Intermittent Power

CaptKaspar

I suggest that prior to the power going out permanently that we experience brownouts or blackouts leading up to the eventual final failure of the power.

I am not entirely sure that this would be realistic in a Z-Apoc, but I think its plausible, sort of (or at the least would be fun for gameplay).

Imagine you are surviving in the Z-Apoc and in the back of your mind you know the power will eventually fail. However, there is so much to do that you have to prioritize your activities and the gas station just isn't at the top of the list, yet. Then one day you experience a brownout and you notice that your lights are dimming in your house, that your radio starts cutting in and out, that your fridge isn't keeping as cold as it normally does. Then there is a blackout that lasts for maybe an hour or two. You realize that soon the system will be gone for good and its time to re-prioritize your actions. You know that it is likely now or never to get to that gas station to stock up on as much fuel as you possibly can. To go find that generator and the manuals to operate them.

Is it worth heading off in search of these items? Will you take the risk?

I think for gameplay this will be better than just having the power completely shut off after X amount of unknown (in MP the admin always knows exactly how many) days.

Perhaps even have the power intermittently come back on for a few hours every month or something? This happens more often early on and happens progressively less as time goes on?